The Student Room Group

Bad ASes Good Predicted Grades?

Would I be at a disadvantage if I didn't get As at AS, ( I got Bs and Cs ) even if I am predicted AAA? This is because I have heard that there is no point applying to bristol or durham without four As at AS.

For GCSEs I got 8A*s 2As if that makes a difference.

Scroll to see replies

Nobody will believe an AAA prediction if you only have, say CCC or BCC at AS.

It was hard enough getting an AAAb prediction out of my teachers when I already had AAA (getting the extra B predicted was oddly the easiest).

Frankly, I don't see why they would predict you that.
Reply 2
What's there to worry about? Just work harder than last year and don't even let failure even cross your mind. Just remember the gap between GCSE's and A-levels is huge, so don't underestimate it. By the way what kind of grades do you get in your trial exams?
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Nobody will believe an AAA prediction if you only have, say CCC or BCC at AS.

It was hard enough getting an AAAb prediction out of my teachers when I already had AAA (getting the extra B predicted was oddly the easiest).

Frankly, I don't see why they would predict you that.

Minimum requirement for my course is AAA and my teachers said if I do well in my class tests they'll predict me what I need (i've been getting A* in physics tests and As in chem)

My friend applying for a very competitive course was predicted an A for chemistry even though she got a B at AS and has been getting Cs in the A2 unit tests.

I flopped AS because I didn't work hard. I've been working the summer up to now and have shown my teachers I can be capable of getting As.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tammie94
What's there to worry about? Just work harder than last year and don't even let failure even cross your mind. Just remember the gap between GCSE's and A-levels is huge, so don't underestimate it. By the way what kind of grades do you get in your trial exams?

I am 10 times harder compared to how I did at AS. Thanks for the advice. By trial exams do you mean AS grades? I got BBCC.
bump :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by HollowPointSmile
I am 10 times harder compared to how I did at AS. Thanks for the advice. By trial exams do you mean AS grades? I got BBCC.

No I mean trial exams for A-levels. If you haven't done any in class then I would definitely think about doing some at home just to get a general idea of what your working at the moment. Well good luck!
Reply 7
The admission tutors will see you AS grades and they may take that into account but others may not. All you can do is wait and see.
Don't your universities see your AS grades and predictions ? Wouldn't that mean that they can see for themselves whether your predictions are realistic ?

I'm not sure how much of a factor that'd be in your application. If it doesn't work out, plan a gap year
Original post by chickenonsteroids
Don't your universities see your AS grades and predictions ? Wouldn't that mean that they can see for themselves whether your predictions are realistic ?

I'm not sure how much of a factor that'd be in your application. If it doesn't work out, plan a gap year

Okay. My parents want my back up to be Queen Mary but I don't actually want to go there. Not sure if I want to talk a gap year because I'm doing maths and science but I could sort out a year in industry :/
Okay. My parents want my back up to be Queen Mary but I don't actually want to go there. Not sure if I want to talk a gap year because I'm doing maths and science but I could sort out a year in industry :/

I dont think all hope is lost because BBC could turn to AAB i'm not sure how your teacher got to AAA personally. Yes it is possible but i'd think universities would see that there might be a mistake in the predictions. Whether that weakens your application is most likely dependant on the uni

Whatever you decide to do, good luck!
Minimum requirement for my course is AAA and my teachers said if I do well in my class tests they'll predict me what I need (i've been getting A* in physics tests and As in chem)

My friend applying for a very competitive course was predicted an A for chemistry even though she got a B at AS and has been getting Cs in the A2 unit tests.

I flopped AS because I didn't work hard. I've been working the summer up to now and have shown my teachers I can be capable of getting As.

Without very serious extenuating circumstances, I don't think anyone is going to think you'll get AAA.

In the event you do, I'd reapply next year.
Reply 12
a friend of mine got BBCC and is predicted AAA, and another got CEUU and is predicted ABB. they're both very attractive girls with the (male) teachers wrapped around their fingers though!
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
Without very serious extenuating circumstances, I don't think anyone is going to think you'll get AAA.

In the event you do, I'd reapply next year.

There's no harm in applying this year though, is there?
Original post by don_lad_
a friend of mine got BBCC and is predicted AAA, and another got CEUU and is predicted ABB. they're both very attractive girls with the (male) teachers wrapped around their fingers though!

haha let's hope that will work for me!
Reply 15
It's a bit harsh those people saying you won't be able to get AAA since you've already been working hard and getting As in class tests.
It isn't impossible to go from BBCC to all As.
I hope you do get As and prove the others wrong
Original post by Azizo123
It's a bit harsh those people saying you won't be able to get AAA since you've already been working hard and getting As in class tests.
It isn't impossible to go from BBCC to all As.
I hope you do get As and prove the others wrong

Thank you :biggrin:
I have a friend who was predicted a C in maths but got A*. He got A*A*A* and goes to Imperial now. Granted he did have tutors for his A2 year and worked non stop. It is possible though.
Reply 17
Thank you :biggrin:
I have a friend who was predicted a C in maths but got A*. He got A*A*A* and goes to Imperial now. Granted he did have tutors for his A2 year and worked non stop. It is possible though.

Exactly!! I hate these people on TSR who think they can tell someone they won't be able to achieve a certain grade.
But anyway what course you applying for?
Original post by Azizo123
Exactly!! I hate these people on TSR who think they can tell someone they won't be able to achieve a certain grade.
But anyway what course you applying for?

Natural Sciences. Minimum requirement for all unis is A*AA-AAA and at queen mary is BBB.
Fax me your CV, then we can talk

- Prof Mike "Glenn" Kendall, Msci Natural Science, Bristol.

Quick Reply

Latest