The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Elisaa
Seven days?! I guess they don't really care that some people have to arrange flights and airport transfers..

I feel really sorry for people coming down from the north etc. trains are so expensive these days. I'm lucky that coming from London I get a £15 open return ticket on the Oxford Ticket which I can buy on board :tongue:
Original post by _becca
oh my god, i leave to sleep and everything's completely moved! *cry*

in other news.. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH ELAT PAPERS, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL WEDNESDAY?! eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
double other news.. does anyone else get up at 11.30 like me haha? :colondollar:

I'm still in bed :biggrin: But this isn't normal for me.
Original post by _becca

in other news.. THERE ARE NOT ENOUGH ELAT PAPERS, WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO UNTIL WEDNESDAY?! eeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
double other news.. does anyone else get up at 11.30 like me haha? :colondollar:

:lol: I just woke up and the first this I do... check this thread... WHAT HAS MY LIFE BECOME

Original post by fluteflute
Dave Gorman is a legend. Have you read all his books?

How strange :tongue: but yes he seems quite funny, way better than the stand up mathematician

OH MY GOSH GOODGLEWHACK! I want in :lol: Did he find any?
Reply 143
Original post by anyone_can_fly

So, an interesting discussion: Do you all think it's better to be rejected pre-interview or post-interview? Obviously post-interview has the honour factor, but if you go and fall in love even more, it would make the rejection harder. Which of the two would you rather have happen to you?

I know if I get an interview I will fall even more in love with Oxford and the course and everything! :frown: So yeh, to then get rejected...well, it's likely to happen, so basically this christmas will be completely rubbish :P
But if I dont even get an interview :O I mean, Biology interview around 90% each time, so it would be rather confusing to say the least, as I have above predicted grades and I liked my personal statement. :P
I thought maybe that 10% might be people just under predicted grades, or who come off badly in statement?
But yeh, pre-interview rejection would be the worst!

OH my emails from Mertion came yesterday while I was out :P I was excited when I saw them :biggrin:

And then Newcastle emailed today from the Biology department saying they are considering my application and will tell me in the coming weeks!
How many weeks do you think 'coming weeks' is?

Do you think if they mean in 8 weeks, it'd be a bit mean to put 'coming weeks'?
Im hoping they mean 2 or 3 weeks :P
Or you know, tomorrow.
So, an interesting discussion: Do you all think it's better to be rejected pre-interview or post-interview? Obviously post-interview has the honour factor, but if you go and fall in love even more, it would make the rejection harder. Which of the two would you rather have happen to you?

Post-interview. Because it means i can just come to the conclusion that the admission tutors believed that i wouldn't have fit in well at Oxford, rather than coming to the conclusion that my grades simply weren't good enough which would be adequate for a pre-interview rejection :tongue: Plus, it means i'd get to go to Oxford for a couple of days which is always a good thing :sexface:
Original post by Brand New Eyes
:lol: I just woke up and the first this I do... check this thread... WHAT HAS MY LIFE BECOME
Welcome to the cool club! I've been doing that for some time :tongue: Well, one of the first things I do anyway...

How strange :tongue: but yes he seems quite funny, way better than the stand up mathematician

OH MY GOSH GOODGLEWHACK! I want in :lol: Did he find any?
There's a stand up mathematician?

I can't actually remember... I have two of his other books I can lend you though :biggrin: (Are you Dave Gorman? in which he travels the world finding 54 people with his name, one for each card in a pack of cards. And America Unchained where he travels from one side of America to the other, buying petrol, food, and sleeping in independently run places only.)
Reply 146
I'd say pre-interview, because I'm not all that confident I'll get in anyway, so I'd rather hear the bad news sooner rather than later and then I can get more excited about my other choices too. Also, if I get rejected at interview, I'll think it's because they didn't like me as a person, rather than because they didn't like me on paper.
Welcome to the cool club! I've been doing that for some time :tongue: Well, one of the first things I do anyway...

There's a stand up mathematician?
[

:lol: Aww, we are the epitome of cool! I actually completely forget about Oxford and UCAS on here! I don't even remember that I've applied for university until I read "I just check my email/Track" :eek: haha

And yes! but he's not very good, methinks he needs some better material. He was at this maths conference I was forcing into last year, but he's a professor at QMary's

I can't actually remember... I have two of his other books I can lend you though :biggrin: (Are you Dave Gorman? in which he travels the world finding 54 people with his name, one for each card in a pack of cards. And America Unchained where he travels from one side of America to the other, buying petrol, food, and sleeping in independently run places only.)

Lovely :woo: yay for not succumbing to the big evil multi-national companies that try to brainwash us into buying their stuff!
Reply 148

hahah same now!

Also, I will be severely disappointed if there is not a TSR gathering at interviews! :biggrin: x
Original post by manic_fuzz
Post-interview. Because it means i can just come to the conclusion that the admission tutors believed that i wouldn't have fit in well at Oxford, rather than coming to the conclusion that my grades simply weren't good enough which would be adequate for a pre-interview rejection :tongue: Plus, it means i'd get to go to Oxford for a couple of days which is always a good thing :sexface:

AND FREE FOOOD :yum:
and erm erm erm NO SCHOOL FOR 3 DAYS! :woo:
only chance of a holiday I'm gonna get this year :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Today's plans:
Lit coursework essay
ELAT practice paper

:frown:
Reply 151
Original post by _becca

I'm so glad I'm not the only one having an elat breakdown! I NEED MORE PAST PAPERS!!!! :smile:
Reply 152
Original post by pinkrose
I'm so glad I'm not the only one having an elat breakdown! I NEED MORE PAST PAPERS!!!! :smile:

plus they don't give half of them so I can't get more than a couple of papers out of them! when I saw them all online i was like YES, that's like 3 papers using 3,3 then 2 extracts. but NOOOOOO.

Suppose we should be grateful they put any more on at all. :biggrin: x
WHERE IS MY E-MAIL FROM NEW COLLEGE gahh?! xD I hate this waiting around and frantically checking my e-mail inbox all the time. :|

On a more positive note, I got an offer to study Law with French Law and Language at the University of Leicester :biggrin:
Original post by Emgrace
I know if I get an interview I will fall even more in love with Oxford and the course and everything! :frown: So yeh, to then get rejected...well, it's likely to happen, so basically this christmas will be completely rubbish :P
But if I dont even get an interview :O I mean, Biology interview around 90% each time, so it would be rather confusing to say the least, as I have above predicted grades and I liked my personal statement. :P
I thought maybe that 10% might be people just under predicted grades, or who come off badly in statement?
But yeh, pre-interview rejection would be the worst!

OH my emails from Mertion came yesterday while I was out :P I was excited when I saw them :biggrin:

And then Newcastle emailed today from the Biology department saying they are considering my application and will tell me in the coming weeks!
How many weeks do you think 'coming weeks' is?

Do you think if they mean in 8 weeks, it'd be a bit mean to put 'coming weeks'?
Im hoping they mean 2 or 3 weeks :P
Or you know, tomorrow.

I'd imagine that if 90% get interviews, the 10% will mainly be ones who applied for the hell of it/as a joke because they had a spare space/whatever. Unlike maths, where about 65% of people get interviews. :cry2: That's large enough that you still feel inadequate for not getting one, but small enough that it's a distinct possibility.

The Merton emails were exciting! :biggrin: But the only thing they said seemed to be, "You'll got told about interviews at least a week in advance. We'll email you. Now go away and don't pester us."
Reply 155
I KNOOOW! I got so excited when I saw them all on there, and then came the crashing wave of disappointment when I realised they weren't complete papers :frown: i'm so nervous for wednesday, I can just see me going in and having a complete mind blank! x
I'd imagine that if 90% get interviews, the 10% will mainly be ones who applied for the hell of it/as a joke because they had a spare space/whatever. Unlike maths, where about 65% of people get interviews. :cry2: That's large enough that you still feel inadequate for not getting one, but small enough that it's a distinct possibility.

The Merton emails were exciting! :biggrin: But the only thing they said seemed to be, "You'll got told about interviews at least a week in advance. We'll email you. Now go away and don't pester us."

I know! But not we get out own personal contact to annoy rather than just general UG admissions who take forever

:party: yay Julie G.
Original post by hannahwhelan

Original post by hannahwhelan
Today's plans:
Lit coursework essay
ELAT practice paper

:frown:
My plans:
C1/C2 revision for MAT (done)
Pack college bag for Monday (done, ish)
Physics homework, electromagnetic induction questions... (in progress, slowly)
Flute practise
The final MAT paper
Reading about Philosophy (:biggrin:)
Online Artificial Intelligence videos (probably leave this until tomorrow)
Extended Project (probably leave this until after the MAT on Wednesday, but I really need to do something...)
Merlin
My plans:
C1/C2 revision for MAT (done) If I get called for interview I'll have to do this too :frown:
Pack college bag for Monday (done, ish) aww back to school for you!
Physics homework, electromagnetic induction questions... (in progress, slowly) sounds fun :rolleyes:
Flute practise Awww! :woo: :musicus::flute:
The final MAT paper
Reading about Philosophy (:biggrin:) Trying to force myself to do that now!
Online Artificial Intelligence videos (probably leave this until tomorrow) :eek: They're taking over! I'm sure of it hmm Siri
Extended Project (probably leave this until after the MAT on Wednesday, but I really need to do something...)
Merlin

You watch Merlin too! :party:

hrmm... i think pre-interview personally because then at least it's not that they don't like me as a person but more me as an 'Oxford Candidate' kind of... also if i'm not 'Oxford calibre' then i feel like an interview would destroy me

Latest