The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lmeechan
Interview was on Tuesday and she had to interview the last applicant (who i know from my brother) today, and the interviewer was going to phone today to let me know. The way she was talking made me think i got the job since she went on about the induction and that what she would let me know about

I had my interview last friday and shed you'll hear back next week. I thought like tuesday, but it was exactly a week. I found out today. My interviewer talked about the induction and I got the job. You might hear back tuesday, or it might be a week from today, due to the last applicant. If you want, you can phone HR and ask. All you need to do is quote your reference number and they should tell you. I think the number is 08456023860. Good luck.
Reply 9821
Original post by JohnnyGat.

Hi,

I recently got a job at Sainsburys (Nightshift/Part-time) and I've got an Induction (2 days) in a couple of days. I've been hired on a Temporary Contract and wanted to know; what is the likelihood of me being taken on as Permanent, considering I work hard, am punctual and do overtime? Interviewer told me that the contract last till January 31st.....:frown:

Anybody with experience in this......HELP ME:biggrin:

I was in the same situation. Had my 4 week review and I got told that dont do anything seriously stupid and you will get kept on. So im hoping for the best. Plus about 5people started new in august and all 5 have been kept on. So its called temp because of it being a probationary period. Thats the way it works at my store. I hope the best for you.
Original post by hasm
I was in the same situation. Had my 4 week review and I got told that dont do anything seriously stupid and you will get kept on. So im hoping for the best. Plus about 5people started new in august and all 5 have been kept on. So its called temp because of it being a probationary period. Thats the way it works at my store. I hope the best for you.

Thanks a lot for the info.:biggrin:

Out of curiosity, when were you employed on a Temporary contract? See my situation is that, I'm most likely a Xmas Temp whereas you might be different temp considering you were employed long before the Christmas season...? This might alter my outcome......:frown:

Out of curiosity, when were you employed on a Temporary contract? See my situation is that, I'm most likely a Xmas Temp whereas you might be different temp considering you were employed long before the Christmas season...? This might alter my outcome......:frown:

I was a Xmas temp in my old store and I wasn't kept on. I'm thinking that's because I was really slow, and I was probably only employed in the first place because I'm a girl (I did night shift) and they wanted cover for a student who was going home for the holidays. :tongue:
What department are you though? That might play a part too. That, and whether or not your store needs the staff after Christmas or not. In my new store, the majority of Xmas temps on Checkouts are kept on, but not many on other departments. Think we only let two Checkout people go last year but there was a very good reason for letting one of them go (don't know about the other one). The rest just kept getting their contracts extended for a couple of months at a time though, before being made permanent properly. :/
Original post by Debbie2709
I was a Xmas temp in my old store and I wasn't kept on. I'm thinking that's because I was really slow, and I was probably only employed in the first place because I'm a girl (I did night shift) and they wanted cover for a student who was going home for the holidays. :tongue:
What department are you though? That might play a part too. That, and whether or not your store needs the staff after Christmas or not. In my new store, the majority of Xmas temps on Checkouts are kept on, but not many on other departments. Think we only let two Checkout people go last year but there was a very good reason for letting one of them go (don't know about the other one). The rest just kept getting their contracts extended for a couple of months at a time though, before being made permanent properly. :/

Well I'm on Night Shift and Part-Time as a General Assistant.......would that make a difference?
hi there i had a holiday for saturday booked ages ago and have changed the hours i work on saturday. its still 8 hours but just earlier, does anyone know if my holiday will change or still stand ?
Reply 9826

well tbh my contract runs out few weeks before xmas so if they want me to stay i will find out in a few weeks. I only jus had me 4week review done and soon is my 11 week. i asked a few poeple and thats what they said. Just ask someone in your store is the best thing. Btw im on check-outs and i think just do your best you shud be fine.
Well I'm on Night Shift and Part-Time as a General Assistant.......would that make a difference?

I'm not sure. I think it might be less likely, but if your store is very short staffed you've a good chance. I think the best you can do is just work hard and keep your fingers crossed. Maybe ask your manager next time you're in?

Original post by confused1993
hi there i had a holiday for saturday booked ages ago and have changed the hours i work on saturday. its still 8 hours but just earlier, does anyone know if my holiday will change or still stand ?

Since you're working the same amount of hours, you should still have those hours on Saturday. I've changed my hours lots of times for uni and stuff, and I never lost holiday over it.
Original post by confused1993

Yes, your holiday will definitely still stand. :smile:
If anyone is interested in part time time work - working when they want to, please text your email address quoting INFO to 07726 30 87 80 and I'll email you info. I only require self motivated people who are wanting to earn money. Regards - Andy
Reply 9830
Original post by hasm
well tbh my contract runs out few weeks before xmas so if they want me to stay i will find out in a few weeks. I only jus had me 4week review done and soon is my 11 week. i asked a few poeple and thats what they said. Just ask someone in your store is the best thing. Btw im on check-outs and i think just do your best you shud be fine.

what did you do in your 4 week review? i started the same time as you and still not had mine yet haha. :smile:
Original post by Debbie2709
I'm not sure. I think it might be less likely, but if your store is very short staffed you've a good chance. I think the best you can do is just work hard and keep your fingers crossed. Maybe ask your manager next time you're in?

Thanks. What if I work really hard, take overtime and am punctual.....surely they would notice me right? Lol, I sound so cheesy right now but its my first job and when I applied, everything was for Temp so I have no power in that sense. What if I do all the above and towards the end, let my manager know I really would like to stay on as permanent.....or should i tell he/she that when i start working lol? :redface:
Thanks. What if I work really hard, take overtime and am punctual.....surely they would notice me right? Lol, I sound so cheesy right now but its my first job and when I applied, everything was for Temp so I have no power in that sense. What if I do all the above and towards the end, let my manager know I really would like to stay on as permanent.....or should i tell he/she that when i start working lol? :redface:

It's worth a try, but honestly, knowing it they will dangle the possibility of a permanent job in front of you to make you work hard, but it may come to nothing. With the job market how it is now, they'll know how desperate people are to get into a permanent job and take advantage of the fact. All you can do is try, just keep this in mind, and if nothing else, you'll have gained 3 months of valuable experience!
Reply 9833
Original post by Kayla94
what did you do in your 4 week review? i started the same time as you and still not had mine yet haha. :smile:

Depending on the store and how your manager/HR team is it's not always done promptly but they should get around to it eventually. It's been a long time since I've had a review but they are pretty straight forward, you'll sit down with your line manager/TL and go through the form they have, they'll talk about what you're doing well and where you need to make improvement (if any). From that they'll write down some actions on how you can achieve this, you'll then agree those actions and sign the form. It's only a short process around 10 minutes at maximum I'd say. This might be a little inaccurate, as I said it's been a long time since I've had one myself.

Doing what you said will get you in the good books and probably will improve your chance if they are able to keep you on. It's important to remember that store have a limited amount of hours they can offer so if they aren't able to accommodate you on this then they'll have to let you go. It's completely on a store to store basis but letting your management team know that you'd want to stay on if possible can't do any harm either :smile:.
hey, i've been working at sainsburys part time for a few weeks now and i want to book some time off to go home at xmas :\ how do i do this? thanks for any help :smile:
Reply 9835
Original post by Hayley-Anne
hey, i've been working at sainsburys part time for a few weeks now and i want to book some time off to go home at xmas :\ how do i do this? thanks for any help :smile:

Ask your HR team for your holiday form, fill in the form and give it to your line manager or team leader. They'll then check the holidays against what has already been booked and action it accordingly (be that signing it off and returning the form to HR or communicating with you if there's an issue). Be aware though as it's now the end of October you may find that the all of the weeks up before the start of next year are now closed so you may not be able to book the time off, also since you've only been at the store for a few weeks be aware of what entitlement you have to book.

If you're not able to book the time off as holiday but need it off you'll need to speak to your HR team or line manager and they can look into alternative solutions for you.
Thanks to everyone that helped me, really appreciate it :smile:

One more thing though..............what is Induction like? I have mine in a couple of days and its for 2 days, 9am-5pm.
Thanks to everyone that helped me, really appreciate it :smile:

One more thing though..............what is Induction like? I have mine in a couple of days and its for 2 days, 9am-5pm.

Be prepared for lots of form-signing and health and safety video-watching, that's about it until you get till-trained at the end of the induction. It'll be really dull...but at least you get paid for it. :smile:
Original post by Liam6993
Be prepared for lots of form-signing and health and safety video-watching, that's about it until you get till-trained at the end of the induction. It'll be really dull...but at least you get paid for it. :smile:

I've been hired as a General Assistant.......do I still need till training?
Reply 9839

I've been hired as a General Assistant.......do I still need till training?

It's not easy to tell from that, general assistant is the job title for a large number of roles. Whether or not you'll be checkout trained is anyone's guess, the likelihood is you will be been that the more staff the store has trained the better (in terms of staff availability and training targets). The majority of staff are trained on checkouts but that doesn't mean everyone will be, there's around 4 staff (that I know of, including myself) in our store that aren't but I think that's been down to the availability of the store trainers than anything else. It's not always a bad thing though, generally speaking there's quite a lot of overtime opportunities available on checkouts :smile:.

Latest

Trending

Trending