The Student Room Group

OMG not another Rippetoes blog!

Scroll to see replies

Bit of a meh session tonight. Well I suppose it was okay at least but it's amazing how one can overwrite three all time PRs.

Squats:

162.5 x 5

Form was a bit crappy, not sitting back enough or anything, but they weren't too difficult. All time PR.

Bench press:

85 x 5

Finally. And wasn't too difficult either.

Deadlifts:

192.5 x 2

Disappointing. Was hoping for five to set another all time PR, but just didn't have any leg drive. Even my warm ups felt almost exclusively low back. It's not that I was ****ed after the squats; in fact I felt cooled down, even.

Chins:

bodyweight x 5/4/3

Happy with that.

From Monday I'm going to introduce RDLs to help strengthen my glutes and hamstrings and some dynamic warm ups to ensure that I'm properly warm - and stay warm.
Reply 981
Lol, "meh" workout! I do that as well, focus on the negatives. It's a hard way of thinking to get out of! Congratulations on the PRs.
Reply 982
Do you actually like the phrase "sitting back"? I'm growing to loathe it. I always tend to fold in half from excessively sitting back. Recently read something about initiating a squat by sitting back, but then keeping a tight arch and dropping down between your legs (which I suppose would be the point where your knees come slightly foward and you sit "into" it rather than "back".

What you think to this philosophy? I'm sick of excessively forward leaning
Original post by Becca
Lol, "meh" workout! I do that as well, focus on the negatives. It's a hard way of thinking to get out of! Congratulations on the PRs.

Thanks sis.

Original post by Adidas90
Do you actually like the phrase "sitting back"? I'm growing to loathe it. I always tend to fold in half from excessively sitting back. Recently read something about initiating a squat by sitting back, but then keeping a tight arch and dropping down between your legs (which I suppose would be the point where your knees come slightly foward and you sit "into" it rather than "back".

What you think to this philosophy? I'm sick of excessively forward leaning

To be honest it depends entirely on your anthropometry and how you've previously squatted. I like the sit back cue but others, particularly those using higher bar positions than myself, will need to think about putting the hips between the heels
Reply 984
Do you think even if you squat low bar you can consider putting the hips between the heels so to speak? Such a cue would definitely put less torque on my lower back (which I'm getting pain from sometimes), the only difference is I won't achieve as vertical a back as I would if I went high bar.. but I can still do it, you think? I'm just getting abit annoyed at my excessive forward lean. I have a vid if you want me to show you what I mean
Take some videos, will be much easier/efficient to diagnose problems, edit - tldr lol.

Also I think stance plays a major factor on depth and back angle.

Do you think even if you squat low bar you can consider putting the hips between the heels so to speak? Such a cue would definitely put less torque on my lower back (which I'm getting pain from sometimes), the only difference is I won't achieve as vertical a back as I would if I went high bar.. but I can still do it, you think? I'm just getting abit annoyed at my excessive forward lean. I have a vid if you want me to show you what I mean
(edited 12 years ago)
I don't know. I wouldn't personally try it as that'd defeat the purpose of the low bar position, surely?
Reply 987
Original post by Smack
I don't know. I wouldn't personally try it as that'd defeat the purpose of the low bar position, surely?

Well it would be a halfway house maybe? Back wouldn't AS upright as the high bar + hips between heels combo, and wouldn't be AS excessively leaned forward as low bar + sitting right back combo?

I know it sounds pedantic but I'm giving it serious thought. I don't want to clog your log up so if you or RBH wants to see a vid here's my log w vid. Bear in mind it was 8:00am plus pulled hams made what should have been a solid triple into a grinder double.

/generic excuses for being weak.

http://sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/MattDs-Journal-10265/15#613047
Well it would be a halfway house maybe? Back wouldn't AS upright as the high bar + hips between heels combo, and wouldn't be AS excessively leaned forward as low bar + sitting right back combo?

I know it sounds pedantic but I'm giving it serious thought. I don't want to clog your log up so if you or RBH wants to see a vid here's my log w vid. Bear in mind it was 8:00am plus pulled hams made what should have been a solid triple into a grinder double.

/generic excuses for being weak.

http://sugdenbarbell.co.uk/forum/MattDs-Journal-10265/15#613047

I didn't see anything wrong with that squat at all.
Reply 989
Hah, thanks. But I'm still getting back pain so in my mind I must be doing something wrong. Maybe I just need to foam roll more or something, thanks anyway.
Technique looks fine (esp on first rep). Maybe look up a bit? What kinda back pain are you experiencing. Probs just need some rest and stretching.
Reply 991
Original post by redbuthotter
Technique looks fine (esp on first rep). Maybe look up a bit? What kinda back pain are you experiencing. Probs just need some rest and stretching.

Yeah I'm aware second rep was not quite as deep as first, and a little sloppier. I have been trying to remember to fill my chest with more air and look up abit more, just keep forgetting. The pain is literally like the textbook shooting pain from lower back that runs right down sciatic nerve and down leg, really horrible, and at the top of every rep. I stretch all the time but I'm not resting much atm, lifting 4-5x wk. If it persists I'll see a physio. Thanks anyway
Those squats looked good, really surprised you managed to grind out the first rep :yy:.

Top work Smack. I'm sure you've repped higher than 192 before though?
Yeah I'm aware second rep was not quite as deep as first, and a little sloppier. I have been trying to remember to fill my chest with more air and look up abit more, just keep forgetting. The pain is literally like the textbook shooting pain from lower back that runs right down sciatic nerve and down leg, really horrible, and at the top of every rep. I stretch all the time but I'm not resting much atm, lifting 4-5x wk. If it persists I'll see a physio. Thanks anyway

Sounds like the pain could be something not related for form.

Original post by cowsforsale
Those squats looked good, really surprised you managed to grind out the first rep :yy:.

Top work Smack. I'm sure you've repped higher than 192 before though?

Yes, I have, which made the deadlifts the **** up of the session.
squat of 192? that's mighty! in comparison to what I am able to grind. LOL I am pussy when it comes to squatting :frown:
No, 192 was my deadlift - which on a good day is 210 for a single, 200 for a triple or 190 for a set of five. My squat is 185 for a single last time I checked.
Reply 996
Original post by cowsforsale

Not doing a twinkles but that was an "off" day..should actually been easier than that still. I smashed out 140 x 5 a few days prior
Volume day week 3. Practically rushed through squats as I was in a bit of a rush to get done so I can get plenty of work done tonight.

Squats:

136 x 5
136 x 5
136 x 5
136 x 5
136 x 5

Not hard weight wise, but rest periods were short, and felt quite nauseous for probably the first time ever when working out. Perhaps I ate too much too soon before the workout, I dunno. Form wasn't brilliant, muscles too tight to squat below parallel without significant butt-wink. Low back really felt pumped after the last set, and the knees weren't too happy.

Bench press:

77 x 5
77 x 5
77 x 5
77 x 5
77 x 5

Not too bad at all.

Romanian Deadlifts:

40 x 5
50 x 5
60 x 5
70 x 5
80 x 5
90 x 5

Did these mainly for a stretch and to see where I'm at with these. Done them a lot stricter a la Rippetoe and Justin from 70s Big. Quite hard to do them that strict but I'll progress them 3 x 5 weekly on volume day, starting with 80kg.

Arms superset:

Skulls crushers with curls

Bar + 24 2 x 10 for both exercises.

Had to use some crappy skinny bar that doesn't spin right. Wrists were really burning after the curls. Also doubt that this bar is the same weight as the bar I prefer to use but meh.
Good ... benching is definitely progressing..
Original post by ibysaiyan
Good ... benching is definitely progressing..

Thanks brah.

Also, got the 1000th post in my log.

Quick Reply

Latest