The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lordvulture
hey anyone know the kind of maths questions Cambridge tend to do when giving out interviews? I mean for general colleges, not downing's maths test. Do they tend to involve a bit of economics? (so elasticity, profit maximisation etc.) or purely mathematical such as plotting graphs or integrating a function?

A friend of mine had an interview at queens which included 15mins of maths (and some maths in econ) 10 minutes of maths and five for questions from her
^^thats quoting her but I'd infer it's mostly not maths in econ
How did you guys write 'Target 2.0 challenge' in your PS?

Did you write out the 2.0? Capitalise the C in challenge? Capitalise the T in target?
Original post by Competencies

Did you write out the 2.0? Capitalise the C in challenge? Capitalise the T in target?

The T definitely needs capitalisation (it's an integral part of the name), the C I'm not so sure (it depends on what the official name of the competition is).
Ahhh still no offers. People are getting Bath offers as well... I sent my UCAS on around the 4-5th of october, is that fairly early!?
Original post by tooambitious
A friend of mine had an interview at queens which included 15mins of maths (and some maths in econ) 10 minutes of maths and five for questions from her
^^thats quoting her but I'd infer it's mostly not maths in econ

hey , I am not applying to queens, but if possible, could you please ask your friend what sort of maths questions were asked (something general like differentiation or graph plotting would be tremendously helpful)

Thanks x
hey , I am not applying to queens, but if possible, could you please ask your friend what sort of maths questions were asked (something general like differentiation or graph plotting would be tremendously helpful)

Thanks x

Sketching graphs, differentiation, simple multiplication
Reply 4466

Thanks x

It'll be A-Level maths applied to situations you haven't seen before, most likely.
Reply 4467
Out of our choices, I think one of the universities that hasn't sent out offers yet is Nottingham right?
Sketching graphs, differentiation, simple multiplication

simple multiplication? like 12 x 4??
Reply 4469
Original post by Hemzo
Out of our choices, I think one of the universities that hasn't sent out offers yet is Nottingham right?

UCL and LSE are yet to give any Economics offers.

Do you really think that'd be in a Cambridge interview? :sexface:

Stop worrying about it! Just be strong on your Maths! Which college have you applied to? :u:
Reply 4470
Original post by Groat
UCL and LSE are yet to give any Economics offers.

Ah yes ofc :biggrin:
Reply 4471
Original post by Hemzo
Ah yes ofc :biggrin:

i no nottingham have given some maths offers (my friend got one) but i dont no about economics

Mire like 105 x 47
Mire like 105 x 47

YOU'RE IN YEAR 12! :eek:

p.s. that's not even hard to solve

47 * 100 = 4700
47* 5 = 235

Ans = 4935
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4474
Original post by Brand New Eyes

47 * 100 = 4700
47* 5 = 235

Ans = 4935

I have heard that simple multiplication is used by many interviewers as a way to see how nervous the candidate is. Apparently, my friend went for a job interview and as soon as he sat he down he was asked what 15 squared was. He answered correct but it is just a little tactic to test the confidence and mental agility of the interviewee, most people deal with such questions with ease :smile:
Original post by Brand New Eyes

47 * 100 = 4700
47* 5 = 235

Ans = 4935

I know it's not hard to solve, I said simple multiplication (although the girl in question got t wrong as she was nervous in the interview, but still got offered a place) :smile:
Lol I know I'm a bit keen but quite a few from my school go to cam for econ so I know a bit about it :smile:
Reply 4476

Target 2.0 Bank of England challenge, doesn't matter either way with the C though, but T needs capitalising.
Original post by Tateco
Target 2.0 Bank of England challenge, doesn't matter either way with the C though, but T needs capitalising.

Cheers man, glad I don't have to write out 2.0 in full.
Reply 4478
Cheers man, glad I don't have to write out 2.0 in full.

huh?
Reply 4479
Original post by Tateco
huh?

I think he means 'two point zero' instead of 2.0. Am I correct?

Latest

Trending

Trending