The Student Room Group

Warwick or UCL? Which do you think is better and why?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Frenchous
It's a TSR syndrome. For some reasons Warwick is glorified here.

Little do they know that it fails to rank higher than Aberdeen, Dundee, and QMUL on most international league tables. :wink:
It's a TSR syndrome. For some reasons Warwick is glorified here.

there's no denying that warwick is a top uk uni. things get a bit silly though when people rate warwick as a whole on par with ucl - ucl is top quality in pretty much every department (that's why the times calls it the next-best multi-faculty university after Oxbridge, that's why it's rated so highly in the world rankings) whereas warwick is much more inconsistent (let's be fair, nearly all of warwick's rep comes from its maths, econ and business depts). the same goes for durham and st. andrews - as whole institutions they are overrated on this forum
warwick is only known for its mediocre business school and pure maths related courses, i've noticed that on here people justify warwick's reputation with the number of spring weeks they got at investment banks, that's probably where the hype stems from.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
there's no denying that warwick is a top uk uni. things get a bit silly though when people rate warwick as a whole on par with ucl - ucl is top quality in pretty much every department (that's why the times calls it the next-best multi-faculty university after Oxbridge, that's why it's rated so highly in the world rankings) whereas warwick is much more inconsistent (let's be fair, nearly all of warwick's rep comes from its maths, econ and business depts). the same goes for durham and st. andrews - as whole institutions they are overrated on this forum

I completely agree with you
Reply 104
I understand that position. I've done my research and I must agree. But in the case of looking for a campus university and the different things that has to offer from a city school (and excluding Oxbridge), is Warwick seen as the next best?
I completely agree with you

Why isn't Warwick not on par with UCL?
Original post by Mr. Roxas
Why isn't Warwick not on par with UCL?

It's not
Reply 107
For economics more or less the same
It's not

Why isn't Warwick on par with UCL?
Why isn't Warwick on par with UCL?

Ask Warwick's provost. He knows.
Ask Warwick's provost. He knows.

So you don't know?
So you don't know?

No. Why is Oxford better than Aberdeen? It's just like that.
No. Why is Oxford better than Aberdeen? It's just like that.

Because of several factors associated with studying. This means, this involves the quality of the students, faculty, facilities, grad rates, employment rates, and so on. Basing on those measures, Oxford is superior to Aberdeen. But I don't see the same case for UCL vs Warwick. In fact, if I may have to squeeze this issue, I think I'm going to get drops indicating that Warwick is slightly superior to UCL, for undergraduate education.
(edited 12 years ago)
Because of several factors associated with studying. This means, this involves the quality of the students, faculty, facilities, grad rates, employment rates, and so on. Basing on those measures, Oxford is superior to Aberdeen. But I don't see the same case for UCL vs Warwick. In fact, if I may have to squeeze this issue, I think I'm going to get drops indicating that Warwick is slightly superior to UCL, for undergraduate education.

Please expand.

I'm kinda bored today and bogged down with work. A few laughs would lighten things up for me considerably.
I am slightly disappointed that the Roxas guy (who must be employed by warwick btw) stopped endlessly arguing.
Its pretty obvious that everyone will defend their own Uni in the end of the day. Personally I got an offer from both and I didnt think it twice to pick UCL. UCL its much more competitive to get into.
On average they demand higher A-level grades for most of their courses as compared to Warwick.
Campus might be good though if someone is looking for a more homey atmosphere but personally living in London has taught me more then what I have learned at Uni.
Ultimately in term of employ-ability I dont think recruiters think much of the difference, its all down to how you are as an individual.

In the end of the day UCL its just cooler.
Reply 116
This really is childish. They are both internationally recognised Universities, and no firm would pick a graduate from one University over the other because they went to Warwick over UCL or vice versa.
Haha , you cant compare UCL with Warwick , whether one tries to justify it but UCL is more competitive to get into not to mention the quality of its faculties and student body . Pretty much everyone i ve met on the Economics L100 in my class who had offers from Warwick pure econ chose UCL . One needs to be at UCL to know why , its those who have failed to make it or those who havent even been given an offer that try to argue about this . When you speak to recruiters and see how they scuffle each week to make presentations that's when you know how excellent ucl is , only campared to LSE and Oxbridge .
UCL - its got:

A) a better overall reputation.
B) the location: London!!
C) better job prospects.
D) better postgrad opportunities.
Reply 119
I much prefer Warwick as a University, and would rank them about equal in terms of prestige, however, the fact that you have major companies sitting on your doorstep at UCL is the one factor that might make the difference.

Quick Reply

Latest