The Student Room Group

Good age to start wearing foundation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LipstickKisses
Yes you are happy with it as it naturally is. You are improving it beyond natural means. I couldnt achieve what I achieve with makeup naturally. Therefore, I am happy with my face naturally.

Whether it's natural or not is irrelevant - the point is that you're trying to enhance it. You think it needs enhancing. You WANT to enhance it.
Reply 81
Nice to see this has stayed on-topic and helpful to the OP.. :rolleyes:
Original post by FruitTwist
I never said all of my friends are, it's just that, i'm kinda breaking out - seriously are i'm wondering if foundation is the right choice for me now. I don't want it to break me out or anything :frown:

That was the only reason why I wanted to start wearing foundation when I was younger. It would be better if you use Witch products, or tea-tree oil products. Try the blotting paper tips, in addition. Foundation, if not properly applied or used can damage your skin, causing you to break out. Didn't mean to insult :smile::smile:
Reply 83
I'm seventeen and I wear tinted moisturiser. I am starting to think about wearing foundation on special occasions, but I am too scared that I start to need it all the time!!
Original post by alcazaba

If only there was an article published tomorrow saying "Hey girls, bit of a secret, when you wake up in the morning with no make-up on and your hair all over the place.. a lot of guys actually find that pretty hot!" I would be happy :h:

Most guys who say they prefer the 'natural look' often prefer natural looking makeup. Perhaps you do perfer no makeup, but you're probably in the minority. Anyway you're not insulting about it so you're welcome to your preference :smile:

Original post by screenager2004
Whether it's natural or not is irrelevant - the point is that you're trying to enhance it. You think it needs enhancing. You WANT to enhance it.

I don't think it needs enhancing
Reply 85
Original post by Payson.Keeler.
That was the only reason why I wanted to start wearing foundation when I was younger. It would be better if you use Witch products, or tea-tree oil products. Try the blotting paper tips, in addition. Foundation, if not properly applied or used can damage your skin, causing you to break out. Didn't mean to insult :smile::smile:

no! no way did you offend me aha :')
thanks so much for all the tipss xxxx
I don't think it needs enhancing

No it doesn't need it. But you WANT to enhance it..
Original post by jameswhughes
Or indeed Yorkshire from what I've seen... :colonhash:

Agreed
I never claimed you were constantly walking around depressed.

I think you (and Lipstickkisses) are conflating the word "insecurity" with the colloquial meaning where a person is depressed and nervous about themselves. That is not the case. An insecurity is merely being conscious that part of yourself is inferior and needs to be altered when in public. You can still be, for the most part, a happy, healthy, confident person.

No you weren't claiming such a thing :smile:; my point as you seem to agree is that, "insecurity" is a loaded term so isn't really the correct one to use. You can still feel superior but aim for even better; insecurity is also about feeling vulnerable, and whilst people care about how others see them taking pride in one's appearance is not usually fuelled by a fear of being a victim (feeling vulnerable).
No it doesn't need it. But you WANT to enhance it..

To achieve things nature cannot achieve. So you may be perfect naturally, but still be able to look better with makeup. Because on the most naturally beautiful face, it will still always look better with makeup.
To achieve things nature cannot achieve. So you may be perfect naturally, but still be able to look better with makeup. Because on the most naturally beautiful face, it will still always look better with makeup.

Nature can achieve a smooth complexion, full lips and long eyelashes naturally, so that arguments' out of the window.

Make-up is about thinking "I want to look better than I do now".
Original post by PendulumBoB
No you weren't claiming such a thing :smile:; my point as you seem to agree is that, "insecurity" is a loaded term so isn't really the correct one to use. You can still feel superior but aim for even better; insecurity is also about feeling vulnerable, and whilst people care about how others see them taking pride in one's appearance is not usually fuelled by a fear of being a victim (feeling vulnerable).

I disagree - I think that caring about people's opinions of your appearance is a vulnerability.
Nature can achieve a smooth complexion, full lips and long eyelashes naturally, so that arguments' out of the window.

Make-up is about thinking "I want to look better than I do now".

Yes, but those features will look even better with makeup on. So you can be naturally perfect, and still look 'better' with makeup on.
Reply 93
I started puberty fairly early, so I was wearing foundation in middle school because I started getting spots. I think wear foundation when you start getting spots or when you feel you need* it. With the new mineral make up, it's easy to get good coverage without that 'caked-on' look. Experiment with different brands/techniques of applying it until you get it right! Practise makes perfect. Good luck!

*Edit: I just re-read what I wrote, and I didn't mean to imply that everyone NEEDS to wear foundation. I just meant some people (like myself) have a very uneven skintone, but others have perfect skin and obviously don't need foundation!
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes, but those features will look even better with makeup on. So you can be naturally perfect, and still look 'better' with makeup on.

If you were absolutely stunning, how is wearing make-up any better?
seventeen, and i still don't wear makeup.
I disagree - I think that caring about people's opinions of your appearance is a vulnerability.

Now I don't know LipstickKisses reasons for augmenting her body, but as a general idea, do you really consider a person aiming to improve their appearence to try to get a boyfriend to be vulnerable? (Bearing in mind that in doing so they have demonstrated a surplus of energy, time and material resources to do so)
If you were absolutely stunning, how is wearing make-up any better?

Because it can achieve what nature cant. Naturally, skin reacts to weather. Foundation hides that. Your lip colour can be changed. Your eyes can be more defined like I said with the khol, which you cant get naturally. Naturally stunning people still look better with makeup. And that is my point, you can be perfect naturally but still improve with makeup.
Original post by PendulumBoB
Now I don't know LipstickKisses reasons for augmenting her body, but as a general idea, do you really consider a person aiming to improve their appearence to try to get a boyfriend to be vulnerable? (Bearing in mind that in doing so they have demonstrated a surplus of energy, time and material resources to do so)

Yes. All humans have vulnerabilities, that's what makes us human.
Because it can achieve what nature cant. Naturally, skin reacts to weather. Foundation hides that. Your lip colour can be changed. Your eyes can be more defined like I said with the khol, which you cant get naturally. Naturally stunning people still look better with makeup. And that is my point, you can be perfect naturally but still improve with makeup.

Why is a different lip colour 'better'? Why are defined eyes 'better'?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending