The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ily_em
I don't think I know anybody paying less that that.

£125 in Somers Town :proud:

But the place is nothing on yours bar our wee balcony that we now can't use because it's too cold.
(edited 12 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1701
Original post by rockrunride
£125 in Somers Town :proud:

But the place is nothing on yours bar our wee balcony that we now can't use because it's too cold.

:p: Was it hard to find? I don't think we tried that hard tbh, once we saw our house we just went for it rather than searching properly near the uni.
Original post by ily_em
:p: Was it hard to find? I don't think we tried that hard tbh, once we saw our house we just went for it rather than searching properly near the uni.

Not too hard. I searched alone for shared houses because my friends had graduated and found the advert on gumtree five minutes after it had been posted!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ily_em
£115, and the good thing about living out is that it's not a tiny flat like in the centre - we have six bedrooms, which are all normal sized doubles (no box room), a lounge, a big kitchen, 2 bathrooms and a garden with a barbecue :awesome: It costs ~£86 a month for a student zone 3 travelcard which works out at about £19 a week so added on that's £134 a week for rent and travel :smile: When we were looking closer to uni eg Camden, £130 seemed standard for rent alone! I don't think I know anybody paying less that that.

argh that's awesome :coma: we had pretty decent sized rooms (mine was HUAGE) except the smallest one and a nice house in general but no garden! it cost £585 pcm though :nothing: there's a shopping centre in wood green too innit? does it have decent shops? /sick of oxford street

aaaaahhhh thinking about it makes me so homesick :frown: i refer to myself as a londoner now :proud:
I still refer to myself as from St Albans, even though I've been there twice in the last 11 years ffs.
i dunno i guess i would say i was from leicester if someone asked me where i was from but i consider london to be my "home" innit.
Reply 1706
Original post by littleshambles
argh that's awesome :coma: we had pretty decent sized rooms (mine was HUAGE) except the smallest one and a nice house in general but no garden! it cost £585 pcm though :nothing: there's a shopping centre in wood green too innit? does it have decent shops? /sick of oxford street

aaaaahhhh thinking about it makes me so homesick :frown: i refer to myself as a londoner now :proud:

I probably don't have any right posting here since I'm not a UCL student (though I do go often to their 6th form lectures in the Ingold Auditorium), but I should be of some help here.

I've always lived in Southgate (a few stops above Wood Green), so I know quite a lot about the area. From where I live, it takes about 30mins by Tube to Euston, so y'all might want to rent here! As for Wood Green, yes it does have a big shopping centre and high street, with quite a lot of shops plus a mini market of sorts - it's an OK place to live, as long as you don't get involved in street fights, gangs or looting (Wood Green was the first place looted in the riots, after Tottenham). I'd prefer to live in Walthamstow though if you can get accodation there - on the victoria line :biggrin:

I love UCL though, would be a dream uni :love:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Yup exactly :smile:

Hi! Me again....with the internet problem! I still can't log on! But this time, I'm definitely typing in the right stuff, because it starts connecting but then it says there's problems and i have to contact the administrator? Ahh, I feel like a fool. Every other student has managed to connect!!
Reply 1708
Original post by Mother_Russia
Hi! Me again....with the internet problem! I still can't log on! But this time, I'm definitely typing in the right stuff, because it starts connecting but then it says there's problems and i have to contact the administrator? Ahh, I feel like a fool. Every other student has managed to connect!!

don't use your're email address use [email protected] (no live. bit)
Original post by shmuxel
I probably don't have any right posting here since I'm not a UCL student (though I do go often to their 6th form lectures in the Ingold Auditorium), but I should be of some help here.

I've always lived in Southgate (a few stops above Wood Green), so I know quite a lot about the area. From where I live, it takes about 30mins by Tube to Euston, so y'all might want to rent here! As for Wood Green, yes it does have a big shopping centre and high street, with quite a lot of shops plus a mini market of sorts - it's an OK place to live, as long as you don't get involved in street fights, gangs or looting (Wood Green was the first place looted in the riots, after Tottenham). I'd prefer to live in Walthamstow though if you can get accodation there - on the victoria line :biggrin:

I love UCL though, would be a dream uni :love:

Nah you're fine! I didn't know UCL had 6th form lectures. :O

Interesting thank you :smile: Yeah I'm looking at Wood Green, Finsbury Park, Seven Sisters, but I guess I could add Walthamstow! I don't really know anything about it but I'll check it out.

If I found somewhere as cheap around Chalk Farm or Kentish Town... :shifty:

OK I need to stop looking.
**** UCLU shop is down :colonhash: why todayyyy.
Original post by Jake9
don't use your're email address use [email protected] (no live. bit)

Yup, I tried that too...
just go to the tech ppl in the science library (iirc)
Reply 1713
Nah you're fine! I didn't know UCL had 6th form lectures. :O

Interesting thank you :smile: Yeah I'm looking at Wood Green, Finsbury Park, Seven Sisters, but I guess I could add Walthamstow! I don't really know anything about it but I'll check it out.

If I found somewhere as cheap around Chalk Farm or Kentish Town... :shifty:

OK I need to stop looking.

Indeed UCL do, it's often very very full and we have to race to get there on a friday night : http://www.ucl.ac.uk/phys/department/science_centre

All of thoses areas sound fine, though I'd avoid Seven Sisters - it's not the best area to hang around at night if you catch my drift :wink: All I can say is to visit the area and get a feel for the shops and people around there. Genuinely, people make london sound like a ghetto - it really isn't too bad, as long as you stay north of the river :cool: Down south, they got bombs, whereas up north we only have knives :tongue:

Good luck finding accommodation! And yes Chalk Farm/Kentish Town would be great, but I assume rents are very high!
Reply 1714
We were living in Kentish Town last year and paying £120 a week. The house was beautiful, definitely the nicest out of any of our friends places, but a pain to heat. Such a good party house, I miss it. But then most of my friends in Camden were paying £120-130 a week nd while our house was nicer, I would have been content to live in any of theirs.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by shmuxel
Indeed UCL do, it's often very very full and we have to race to get there on a friday night : http://www.ucl.ac.uk/phys/department/science_centre

All of thoses areas sound fine, though I'd avoid Seven Sisters - it's not the best area to hang around at night if you catch my drift :wink: All I can say is to visit the area and get a feel for the shops and people around there. Genuinely, people make london sound like a ghetto - it really isn't too bad, as long as you stay north of the river :cool: Down south, they got bombs, whereas up north we only have knives :tongue:

Good luck finding accommodation! And yes Chalk Farm/Kentish Town would be great, but I assume rents are very high!

yeah but where is tbh. i am very blase about walking around on my own at night though so i suppose i should be a bit selective. i know london isn't that bad - i'm more bothered about shops and how good somewhere is for the tube than street crime - genuinely doesn't bother me - i would consider south london if it weren't for the fact that 90% of people at ucl live in north london... if the tube was alright...

btw i'm on my year abroad at the moment so this is me dreaming of where i'm going to live in final year... i lived in camden for two years. :shifty:
Reply 1716

Yeh the shopping centre is quite good. It has most of the usual shops so you don't really need to go anywhere else :smile: Plenty of supermarkets as well; everything we need is on our doorstep apart from UCL :p:
Reply 1717
How do I make an appointment for counselling if the link with an online registration doesn't work?
Original post by Ivanka
How do I make an appointment for counselling if the link with an online registration doesn't work?

https://wwwa-e.ucl.ac.uk/scs/webapps/scsreg/register/

Seems to be working fine :confused:
Reply 1719

Thank you! I tried to access it via some random page :redface:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending