The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ViceVersa

For anyone who knows anything about Glycolysis/Krebs cycle/Aerobic respiration, is NAD+ the same molecule as NADH because I'm definitely confused? :s Because one of my bio books says that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH and the other says NAD is reduced to form Reduced NAD..

Yes it is!! X
Reply 8561
For anyone who knows anything about Glycolysis/Krebs cycle/Aerobic respiration, is NAD+ the same molecule as NADH because I'm definitely confused? :s Because one of my bio books says that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH and the other says NAD is reduced to form Reduced NAD..

Yeah NAD+ is NADH but the first book that you mentioned says that NAD+ (NADH) is reduced to NADH. How can NADH be reduced to NADH? The second book is right though.
Original post by Loulibelle
Yes it is!! X

Original post by Erotas
Yeah NAD+ is NADH but the first book that you mentioned says that NAD+ (NADH) is reduced to NADH. How can NADH be reduced to NADH? The second book is right though.

Yeah the first book says NAD+ is converted to NADH and the second says NAD is converted to Reduced NAD.

So are you saying NAD+ is NADH or are you saying that REDUCED NAD+ is NADH? :s-smilie:
Yeah the first book says NAD+ is converted to NADH and the second says NAD is converted to Reduced NAD.

So are you saying NAD+ is NADH or are you saying that REDUCED NAD+ is NADH? :s-smilie:

Reduced NAD is the same as NAD+

So both statements are correct
Original post by spoinkytheduck

I'm still confused:s if NAD+ is the same as reduced NAD then what is NADH? and which book is correct?
Reply 8565
I'm still confused:s if NAD+ is the same as reduced NAD then what is NADH? and which book is correct?

NAD+ = NADH = reduced NAD.

NADH = NAD+ = Reduced NAD

If something is reduced, one of the things it can mean is that it has gained hydrogen ions.
Reply 8567
Original post by Besakt

Original post by Normandy114

If something is reduced, one of the things it can mean is that it has gained hydrogen ions.

Original post by spoinkytheduck

Everyone's right that NAD+ = REDUCED NAD = NADH

But I think ViceVersa is confused by what her book says: "one of my bio books says that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH"

I'm confused too - how can NAD+ which is NADH be reduced to form itself?
Reply 8568
Original post by Erotas

But I think ViceVersa is confused by what her book says: "one of my bio books says that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH"

Oxidation is loss of electron/loss of hydrogen/gain of oxygen.
Reduction is gain of electron/gain of hydrogen/loss of oxygen.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Besakt

I just checked wiki and it says that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH and so NADH is Reduced NAD+ :\
Original post by Erotas

Original post by Besakt
Then the book is wrong.

Yeah and I am confused by which book is correct
Original post by Erotas

You're confused because apparently NAD+ is NOT NADH - Reduced NAD+ is NADH. The sentence therefore will make more sense that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH :yep:

I've had to check this but hopefully this will help to resolve matters.

NAD+ is NOT the same as NADH.

NAD+ is reduced to form NADH.

I'm not sure why one book you read just called it NAD, could be a typo. It should be that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH.

The step that NAD+ is used during glycolysis is when GADP is dehydrogenated and also gains a phosphate group to form 1,3BPG.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072507470/student_view0/chapter25/animation__how_glycolysis_works.html

Take a look at that animation, it's pretty good :h:
Reply 8573
You're confused because apparently NAD+ is NOT NADH - Reduced NAD+ is NADH. The sentence therefore will make more sense that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH :yep:

Oxidised NAD must be NAD+ then. I think...
Original post by Besakt

:yep:

If you want to think of this in terms of hydrogens then reduced NAD is when NAD+ has GAINED a hydrogen

(in fact redox reactions are all about transfer of electrons.. but for biology you don't really need to know that, chemistry you will cover it at some point)
Original post by Erotas
So maybe NAD+ isn't NADH then. :s-smilie: I'm so confused!

See my above post: NAD+ =/= NADH
Original post by Besakt

Original post by Penguinsaysquack

I'm not sure why one book you read just called it NAD, could be a typo. It should be that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH.

The step that NAD+ is used during glycolysis is when GADP is dehydrogenated and also gains a phosphate group to form 1,3BPG.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0072507470/student_view0/chapter25/animation__how_glycolysis_works.html

Yepp, thank you, I figured that might have been it, hence me saying to Erotas "You're confused because apparently NAD+ is NOT NADH - Reduced NAD+ is NADH. The sentence therefore will make more sense that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH :yep:"

I knew NAD+ couldn't be NADH, it just wouldn't have made sense if it was :tongue: Thanks for confirming that :smile:
Reply 8576

Thank you! :h:
Yepp, thank you, I figured that might have been it, hence me saying to Erotas "You're confused because apparently NAD+ is NOT NADH - Reduced NAD+ is NADH. The sentence therefore will make more sense that NAD+ is reduced to form NADH :yep:"

I knew NAD+ couldn't be NADH, it just wouldn't have made sense if it was :tongue: Thanks for confirming that :smile:

No worries, I remember the confusion respiration caused me when I first learnt it, doesn't help when textbooks call the same molecules different names :redface:
Reply 8578
Parents just realised I've applied to universities which are as far as possible from my house.
They weren't pleased. They have a very colourful vocabulary.

Also does anybody know how I log onto track. I put the wrong password in too many times and it got suspended, do I wait 24 hours or something or do I have to ring UCAS up.
(edited 12 years ago)
No worries, I remember the confusion respiration caused me when I first learnt it, doesn't help when textbooks call the same molecules different names :redface:

Yeah :frown: It just makes it much more confusing when they do that! Thank goodness I asked the question on TSR, looks like we all learnt something today (except you, who just helped us figure out the truth :tongue:) haha.

Latest

Trending

Trending