The Student Room Group

What is wrong with food stamps?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 280
Original post by JOR2010
It's been pestering me for a while now, I don't see what is wrong with handing out food stamps to those on benefits. Some say it's morally degrading, but surely that's a petty worry, and instead, food stamps would surely cut back on unnecessary purchases by those on benefits, such as tobacco and alcohol?

What are your thoughts?

The last part of your thread is basically the reason why they exist, I think anyway. But you're kind of assuming that the poorer you are the more petty morally degrading issues become. Poor people are just as proud as rich people and offended by the same things, they don't lose their sense of dignity. If you were given not money, but tokens for the things you need would you not be a little bit offended and think 'I deserve to buy what I choose to buy'?

I don't disagree with the concept of food stamps necessarily, I'm just trying to put across why some people who are on them would feel degraded by them.
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
It's the parent's decision, as long as they are responsible parents what they buy with their money is none of my, or your, business whatsoever.

If it was the taxpayers money, then people should be able to have a say in what it goes on.
Original post by Elissabeth
If it was the taxpayers money, then people should be able to have a say in what it goes on.

wrong

once the money goes to those people it becomes their money and only they have the right to say what they do with it
Original post by tinktinktinkerbell
2 year olds can play with toys

Okay, perhaps a 2-year-old but a newborn baby can't.

A 2-year-old doesn't need expensive things, they're not even going to know if they're second-hand or not.
Okay, perhaps a 2-year-old but a newborn baby can't.

A 2-year-old doesn't need expensive things, they're not even going to know if they're second-hand or not.

so you bitch and moan about having second hand things as a kid but you think others should buy second hand things for their kids
wrong

once the money goes to those people it becomes their money and only they have the right to say what they do with it

Actually, if you spend it all on alcohol or drugs and the kids are hungry and in rags, social services will get involved.

So it is other peoples business.

We all have to keep an eye out for neglected or abused kids, to try and prevent another tragedy.
Actually, if you spend it all on alcohol or drugs and the kids are hungry and in rags, social services will get involved.

So it is other peoples business.

We all have to keep an eye out for neglected or abused kids, to try and prevent another tragedy.

but i thought the kids you were on about were spoilt and had designer labels and iphones, make your mind up :rolleyes:
If it's morally degrading, then good. There's more chance of people actively looking for work then, the ones who previously couldn't be bothered as the stigma against those who are unemployed is gone.
so you bitch and moan about having second hand things as a kid but you think others should buy second hand things for their kids

Yes.

And I wasn't bitching and moaning about having second hand things, it was the getting made fun of that was the problem.
Yes.

And I wasn't bitching and moaning about having second hand things, it was the getting made fun of that was the problem.

no you were moaning that your mum didnt give you much cause she had nothing

what if those kids who you say should have second hand things get bullied?
but i thought the kids you were on about were spoilt and had designer labels and iphones, make your mind up :rolleyes:

Its still possible to neglect them.

If you leave them alone for long periods of time, if you abuse them, if they have no set routine and only get fed takeaways and crap.

Always call social services.
no you were moaning that your mum didnt give you much cause she had nothing

what if those kids who you say should have second hand things get bullied?

Then why should I care, if it happened to me?

Hopefully, their parents will feel guilty and get off their lazy backsides, get a job and do something to try and change.
Reply 292

If you leave them alone for long periods of time, if you abuse them, if they have no set routine and only get fed takeaways and crap.

You do realise that children are only removed from their parents as a last resort?.Social services do everything they can to keep the children with their parents.

i always mind my own business quite frankly
Then why should I care, if it happened to me?

Hopefully, their parents will feel guilty and get off their lazy backsides, get a job and do something to try and change.

what a great attitude to have

although im not surprised since you are a jealous, bitter, ignorant little girl
i always mind my own business quite frankly

Probably why we have cases like the Baby P case.

Attitudes like yours.
Probably why we have cases like the Baby P case.

Attitudes like yours.

yes and its attitudes like yours is why we have spoilt brats in the world
Original post by Annie72
You do realise that children are only removed from their parents as a last resort?.Social services do everything they can to keep the children with their parents.

Unfortunately yes.

No surprise we've had cases like the Victoria Climbie case.
yes and its attitudes like yours is why we have spoilt brats in the world

Better then people who stand by and watch while child abuse/ neglect is happening.
Better then people who stand by and watch while child abuse/ neglect is happening.

rubbish, spoilt brats are pathetic

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending