The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeccaCath94
Hmm maybe thats true for places like glasgow, edinburgh, st andrews...the bigger ones. No no it wont affect the teaching but its just their attitude to other students.... I know!! haha :/

Don't worry, there's no discrimination against English students! Tons of the people who work at Edinburgh and St. Andrews (I don't live in Glasgow, so wouldn't know) are English, it really doesn't matter.

Edit: not really sure why I'm trying to argue about this - I must have some vestiges of nationalism clinging to me or something! :s-smilie:
Original post by mpc1
Really?

Is there any source for this information?

Wonder how/why many people with good grades apply then?

no source for this information, just what my senior told me. he got 3a*1a, had Imperial, warwick and UCL for G100 maths major. he said the maths department is severely underfunded and warwick's maths department is well funded....no credits yo :tongue:
Original post by Ree69
Anyone else completely sh*tting themselves for the MAT on wednesday?

Yo! :biggrin:
Original post by House Dagoth
guys, what do you think of my choices?

warwick maths (A*A*A2)
imperial comp sci (A*AA2)
bristol mathematics and comp sci (AAA/ AAB2)
nottingham maths (AAB)
manchester maths (AAB)

AS: AABD (double maths, chemistry and physics)
A2: A*AA (double maths and chemistry), I'm also sitting STEP 1 and 2.

regards,
Dagoth Ur.

I think Wariwck, Notts and Manchester are good choice, Bristol and Imperial are really competitive but it's worth the gamble. Btw check again, Nottingham is AAA or A*AB i'm sure.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/mathematicalsciences/mathematics.aspx
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2484
Original post by BeccaCath94
Oh i see....I went and i dont know i just didnt really click with it. But i might apply anyway as i love the city and the course is good and maybe have another look round to see what i think as i wasnt really there long enough.....

Im applying to leeds AAB :biggrin: Whats the BBB? Mines heriot watt......too far for my liking though and i dont really like the scottish ones as they focus more on the scottish students... whats the ABC as that might be good for me :smile:

Thanks :smile: Yeah I know! haha that i dont really want.... :/

BBB one is Brunel but that's my last option and they offer a year in industry :colondollar:

ABC one is keele the course structure is perfect as well (I like more pure then Stat and Applied)

my other one is Reading :smile:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I think Wariwck, Notts and are good choice, Bristol and Imperial are really competitive but it's worth the gamble. Btw check again, Nottingham is AAA or A*AB i'm sure.

http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/ugstudy/courses/mathematicalsciences/mathematics.aspx

Ah, I can't believe I didn't know this. Thanks :smile:

I agree. Bristol is very competitive, there was 17 applicants per place for g100 maths :eek:, hence why I am going for maths and comp sci which is 4-5 applicants per place :redface:.

guys, what do you think of my choices?

warwick maths (A*A*A2)
imperial comp sci (A*AA2)
bristol mathematics and comp sci (AAA/ AAB2)
nottingham maths (AAB)
manchester maths (AAB)

AS: AABD (double maths, chemistry and physics)
A2: A*AA (double maths and chemistry), I'm also sitting STEP 1 and 2.

regards,
Dagoth Ur.

Imperial CompSci asks for STEP?!! But they don't for Maths… weird. Well, they say that their standard offer doesn't include STEP.
Original post by Edwin Okli
Imperial CompSci asks for STEP?!! But they don't for Maths… weird. Well, they say that their standard offer doesn't include STEP.

I'm pretty sure they do or at any rate did so fairly regularly last cycle.
On a side note: Why the **** am I taking chemistry?
Original post by ben-smith

to add another a* on your august result sheet :colone:
Has anyone who submitted their UCAS post 10 October received an offer ?

Haha, I've asked myself that question this year when I've been trying to remember which is which out of the Pauli exclusion principle, the aufbau principle, Hund's rule of maximum multiplicity, and whatever the other one is...
Reply 2492
I'm pretty sure they do or at any rate did so fairly regularly last cycle.

I'm not sure if this is entirely correct actually; I thought the minority of Imperial Maths offers asked for a grade in STEP (if they didn't like your application or just...didn't like you). Most of the offers my friends received were A*A*A or A*A*AA. (A*s in M + FM)
Original post by Ree69
I'm not sure if this is entirely correct actually; I thought the minority of Imperial Maths offers asked for a grade in STEP (if they didn't like your application or just...didn't like you). Most of the offers my friends received were A*A*A or A*A*AA. (A*s in M + FM)

OK I'm willing to be overruled on this. All I mean is that I have seen more offers with STEP than without. Could just be a coincidence.
Reply 2494
OK I'm willing to be overruled on this. All I mean is that I have seen more offers with STEP than without. Could just be a coincidence.

I think it's down to your UCAS application. If you declare you're taking STEP in June (under admissions tests or something) then they will ask for it - if you don't then they won't.

Although I'm not 100% sure about this!

I say this because my friends applied for Oxford, Imperial, Durham (universities where they were deliberatly avoiding STEP) and got offers - or rejections - that didn't ask for STEP.

Ah, I can't believe I didn't know this. Thanks :smile:

I agree. Bristol is very competitive, there was 17 applicants per place for g100 maths :eek:, hence why I am going for maths and comp sci which is 4-5 applicants per place :redface:.

A lower ratio of applicants to places won't necessarily help, e.g Cambridge maths is "only" 4 or 5 applicants to the place, but it certainly isn't harder to get into than Bristol...
i heard that imperial does not allow student to retake modules in math and further math...is iit true? or we can retake modules in fur math,but not in math???

Me too... then again, the majority of TSR maths applicants seem to take STEP... :smile:
Original post by Beth1234
Me too... then again, the majority of TSR maths applicants seem to take STEP... :smile:

have you seen this?
have you seen this?

Yes. :wink: ...But I won't add myself to that just yet!

EDIT: Have you seen this?

Latest