The Student Room Group

100,000 turtles sacrificed in ritual slaughter to celebrate Hindu festival

It looks pretty horrific. Some of the species of turtle killed are extremely rare with only 25 northern river terrapins existing worldwide for example, and the way they're killed is pretty bad. In defense of this it does provide jobs for up to 30,000 poor people and a lot of the meat is eaten during the festival so it's just like any other meat industry?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054278/100-000-turtles-sacrificed-ritual-slaughter-celebrate-Hindu-festival.html

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
... thats terrible

honestly

ps poor animals
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Is it sustainable though? If not, it's horrible... Well I say that but to be honest that's one way for a species to go.. I mean... that's how we got rid of the Dodo..
Reply 3
Original post by CombineHarvester
It looks pretty horrific. Some of the species of turtle killed are extremely rare with only 25 northern river terrapins existing worldwide for example, and the way they're killed is pretty bad. In defense of this it does provide jobs for up to 30,000 poor people and a lot of the meat is eaten during the festival so it's just like any other meat industry?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2054278/100-000-turtles-sacrificed-ritual-slaughter-celebrate-Hindu-festival.html

so..............

their culture leave them alone

the Indians themselves would be shocked at how many cows are slaughtered here daily
(edited 12 years ago)
Time for a turtle uprising where they sacrifice a few hundred thousand Hindus to help maintain a balance.

Absolutely sickening behavior, those turtles are endangered. What primitive behaviour.
(edited 12 years ago)
People eat animals. Sad but true. Sad time to be a turtle or a sheep, what with eid al adhha coming up.
Reply 6
The turtles! Not the turtles! *tucks into plate of soon-to-be-extinct cod*
Does everyone in England read the Daily Mail?
Reply 8
I love turtles.

[
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9
As highly delicious as turtle is this is disturbing.

Why the neg?!?!

Why the pos?!?!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by sucess
the Indians themselves would be shocked at how many cows are slaughtered here daily

Cows are not a "critically endangered species".
Reply 11
Original post by Einheri
Cows are not a "critically endangered species".

well nothing last forever
I like turtles
Reply 13
Original post by sucess
well nothing last forever

No, but slaughtering endangered species for no valid reason is beyond retarded. Also, you misspelled "success".
Reply 14
If they are eating them, then I have no quarrels. Although, the fact that they are rare does worry me a bit. If they cause the extinction of an animal, it could have disastrous effects for the world. :facepalm: Just read the article: only 25 of the northern river terrapin turtles exist. What the hell are they doing.

Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Is it sustainable though?

"This situation is completely unsustainable" said Dr Rashid of Centre for Advanced Research in Natural Resources & Management (CARINAM) in Bangladesh.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ruthless Dutchman
Is it sustainable though? If not, it's horrible... Well I say that but to be honest that's one way for a species to go.. I mean... that's how we got rid of the Dodo..

'Only 25 northern river terrapins existing worldwide'.

Definitely not in the case of the above.
Reply 16
I am a hindu myself but I was not aware of this ritual in india and bangladesh. I feel really sad now. This is clearly a bad practise to please God via sarifycing the lives of the innocent creatures. May those turtles rest in peace! SHANTI
Original post by B-Man.
If they are eating them, then I have no quarrels. Although, the fact that they are rare does worry me a bit.

You'd prefer them well-done?
Original post by I Persia I

George Carlin is a scientifically uninformed moron.
Original post by sucess
so..............

their culture leave them alone

I hate being that guy who forces my ideals on someone else. But:
It's alright to kill cows because there's plenty of them left to kill afterwards, but not okay to kill turtles because we can't kill more of them later? Doesn't this seem a little off to you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending