The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lekky
How do I get the passion back?

Pretend you're not a medical student. Seems to be working for me this year.
Original post by lekky
:sigh:

Bah, don't take my word for it. I'm just cranky with it at the moment.
Original post by lekky
How do I get the passion back?

Your a second year right?
Clinical years - should come flooding back!!!
Then maybe fade away again.
Just realised that my baby sister is going to graduate the same year as me. :/
Reply 6344
Original post by fairy spangles

Oo aye this is true
Get to pick first SSC soon might try and make it a clinical based one

I'm absolutely loving my course and I know that it's only going to get better. I hope that it isn't just naivety on my part and it will continue to endure.
Original post by Fission_Mailed
Just realised that my baby sister is going to graduate the same year as me. :/

Same with me and my little brother :s-smilie:
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Same with me and my little brother :s-smilie:

The world is suddenly a scary place.
Original post by lekky
Oo aye this is true
Get to pick first SSC soon might try and make it a clinical based one

wow you do SSC in 2nd year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6349
wow you do SSC in 2nd year.
We did two SSCs a year from first year to final year.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
I'm absolutely loving my course and I know that it's only going to get better. I hope that it isn't just naivety on my part and it will continue to endure.

I think it's slightly different as a graduate. You've had more time to consider if that's what you really want and you've generally had to work harder and wait longer for it.

My enthusiasm comes and dissipates in waves and I suspect it's similar for most medics.
Original post by Kinkerz
I think it's slightly different as a graduate. You've had more time to consider if that's what you really want and you've generally had to work harder and wait longer for it.

My enthusiasm comes and dissipates in waves and I suspect it's similar for most medics.

Hopefully I'm in a massive wave, so my current apathy bordering on antipathy will soon turn into maniacal zeal.
Hopefully I'm in a massive wave, so my current apathy bordering on antipathy will soon turn into maniacal zeal.

Do you have any idea why though?
Original post by Kinkerz
Do you have any idea why though?

Hopefully it's all linked into the personal issues (?depression but I'm currently working off a self diagnosis) that I've been having over the last couple of months, and as I work on them my enthusiasm will start to come back. Otherwise, I could have a ****ing difficult year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Kinkerz

It makes sense though - it's a very long course and it's logical that at some point (or many points) people will be rather less enthusiastic about it, especially when graduation seems a very long way away (and when graduation brings with it more work, more exams, more assessment, etc). I suspect most people have a moment or two when they contemplate getting off the medical escalator and heading down other routes, but the vast majority then hit a patch of the course they really enjoy and forget about their unenthusiastic period for a while.
Reply 6355
Original post by GodspeedGehenna

Haven't you only just started this year though?

I think most people have down periods. I reassure myself that will regain enthusiasm eventually. Just need to start giving a **** again soon so my grades don't massively drop
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6356
Original post by Becca-Sarah
It makes sense though - it's a very long course and it's logical that at some point (or many points) people will be rather less enthusiastic about it, especially when graduation seems a very long way away (and when graduation brings with it more work, more exams, more assessment, etc). I suspect most people have a moment or two when they contemplate getting off the medical escalator and heading down other routes, but the vast majority then hit a patch of the course they really enjoy and forget about their unenthusiastic period for a while.

Makes so much sense. Nice to know I'm normal. I've been quite open about currently being so apathetic and have found most people understood. Been a massive step up in workload this year, just had a week of lectures which thank god I didn't do a lecture based course because it was absolute hell (never thought I'd see the day where I was thankful for a PBL scenario), generally watching all my flatmates who have possibly a third of my workload go out and have fun loads more than me, not being terribly interested in what we're doing, haven't seen an actual patient in how long, and I've got at least another 4 years... Am allowed to go through down phases. Going to stop beating myself up about it.
Reply 6357
Original post by Kinkerz
I think it's slightly different as a graduate. You've had more time to consider if that's what you really want and you've generally had to work harder and wait longer for it..

Getting into medicine was a massive feat for me.. Left school at 15 with 1 GCSE... blah blah /lifestory/ Really had to want it, but then here I am just so mehh.. so I'm not sure this argument quite works. Contrasting my previous attitude to my current one is depressing!

At least I haven't totally given up and am on top of workload etc.
Just should probably turn up a bit more.
Original post by lekky
Makes so much sense. Nice to know I'm normal. I've been quite open about currently being so apathetic and have found most people understood. Been a massive step up in workload this year, just had a week of lectures which thank god I didn't do a lecture based course because it was absolute hell (never thought I'd see the day where I was thankful for a PBL scenario), generally watching all my flatmates who have possibly a third of my workload go out and have fun loads more than me, not being terribly interested in what we're doing, haven't seen an actual patient in how long, and I've got at least another 4 years... Am allowed to go through down phases. Going to stop beating myself up about it.

I realise doing extra stuff when you're trying to deal with an increased workload might not be helpful, but getting time in theatre at weekends was what got me through the horrendously dull and demotivating parts of second year - it was good to remind myself that patients did actually exist and that there were interesting parts to medicine.
Hopefully it's all linked into the personal issues (?depression but I'm currently working off a self diagnosis) that I've been having over the last couple of months, and as I work on them my enthusiasm will start to come back. Otherwise, I could have a ****ing difficult year.

Ah, I see. Well hopefully things'll pick up as the year goes on.

Original post by lekky
Getting into medicine was a massive feat for me.. Left school at 15 with 1 GCSE... blah blah /lifestory/ Really had to want it, but then here I am just so mehh.. so I'm not sure this argument quite works. Contrasting my previous attitude to my current one is depressing!

At least I haven't totally given up and am on top of workload etc.
Just should probably turn up a bit more.

I'm not saying it applies to everyone. I just see it as a broad theme.

Latest

Trending

Trending