The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ReBee
Are you arguing that mathematics is not a human fabrication or construct, which thus makes it fictitious? Formal sciences investigate an artificial subject, such as a programming language, or mathematical principles and axioms. Natural sciences investigate...the world.

Mathematics is thus not necessary, albeit it does help when applied, to investigate the world. If Mathematics weren't developed, another system would've been developed for the very same function. It's a whole philosophical school of thought - Mathematical Fictionalism!

But aren't the bases of natural sciences (e.g. such as empiricism) also human constructs? Aren't you presupposing the validity of these methods? :moon:
Original post by ReBee
Are you arguing that mathematics is not a human fabrication or construct, which thus makes it fictitious? Formal sciences investigate an artificial subject, such as a programming language, or mathematical principles and axioms. Natural sciences investigate...the world.

Mathematics is thus not necessary, albeit it does help when applied, to investigate the world. If Mathematics weren't developed, another system would've been developed for the very same function. It's a whole philosophical school of thought - Mathematical Fictionalism!

Yes.

Seriously?:biggrin:

Exactly. Only not another. If Mathematics weren't developed, some Friggenatics would've been developed...which would be Mathematics hiding behind the name "Friggenatics". Maths is natural, it already exists, we do not invent maths :wink:
Original post by medbh4805
Yep...and Further Maths as level :smug:

What have you been up to? :teehee:

SNAPSIES

:lol: Today? well all I did was go :woo: frantic about my stocks because I forgot it was the first day of the competition. And my team is doing very well (granted we're in the minus but meh) and erm erm erm yeah that's basically it...
Original post by fluteflute
It's okay Chiara's not around (quick, while she's not looking...)

NEVER

humanities students own this thread :woo: :woo: :woo:
Brand New Eyes

Yes, thats it. Say my name!

:fuhrer:

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by desy.kris
so why did you apply for CS&Phil? :/

I suck at TOK but I want an A........ :frown:
Because I think Philosophy is very interesting. And it's taught from scratch :smile: (same as CS in that respect)
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
Yes.

Seriously?:biggrin:

Exactly. Only not another. If Mathematics weren't developed, some Friggenatics would've been developed...which would be Mathematics hiding behind the name "Friggenatics". Maths is natural, it already exists, we do not invent maths :wink:

Does maths really have an independent existence outside of our thoughts though? Especially more abstract concepts like imaginary numbers.....:colonhash:
NEVER

There are SO many PPE students on the TSA thread... but they totally boid this one :frown: I have no-one to talk to about Hayek and new trade theory :frown:
Reply 1808
Well said! Time for the mathematicians and computer scientists to take over this thread! :party:

Down with numbers! Up with chloroplasts!
:flower2:

:mob::mob::mob:
Original post by Brand New Eyes
SNAPSIES

:lol: Today? well all I did was go :woo: frantic about my stocks because I forgot it was the first day of the competition. And my team is doing very well (granted we're in the minus but meh) and erm erm erm yeah that's basically it...

I've been translating Sophocles, Aeschylus and Plato :smug:

I LOVE GREEK :woo: :woo: :woo:
Hahahaha... oh Greg. Do you always get like this when girls start talking to you?

:lol: I waste every day on this thread...

:no: :heart: 2^2 you
2^2?

No... it's only you :love:
There are SO many PPE students on the TSA thread... but they totally boid this one :frown: I have no-one to talk to about Hayek and new trade theory :frown:

Hayek....reminds me I need to actually get round to reading the Road to Serfdom :sad:

Spoiler

It would be cool if BNE were your real initials...

Imagine you started going with someone in this thread and called out their TSR username in bed.....:moon:
Original post by ReBee
Down with numbers! Up with chloroplasts!
:flower2:

:mob::mob::mob:
Hey, you're on our side!! Scientists united....

Tbh we have all the weapons: chemical, nuclear and of course cyber attacks.
(edited 12 years ago)
Does maths really have an independent existence outside of our thoughts though? Especially more abstract concepts like imaginary numbers.....:colonhash:

lol, it is arguable that anything exists outside of our thoughts, isn't it? What I'm trying to say is that sin^2x+cos^2x is 1 whether we know it or not, we do not invent the identity.
Imagine you started going with someone in this thread and called out their TSR username in bed.....:moon:
Happened to me yesterday... :wink:

:eek: It would wouldn't it! Sadly none of those letters are my initials :frown:

Hayek....reminds me I need to actually get round to reading the Road to Serfdom :sad:

Ooh how exciting! Why ya doing that? YOU DO ECON AND YOU NO TELL ME???!!! :eek:

p.s. Plato's Republic? :lol: he sucks! joke I don't really know that much about him

I love GREEK TOO :smile:

greek yoghurt that is :wink:
2^2?

No... it's only you :love:

2 to the power of 2 = 4

No. Heart. for. you. Duh

and aww ^^ I have that effect on people
boys
people :lol:

How was flute with the girls :huff:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Devil_in_disguise
lol, it is arguable that anything exists outside of our thoughts, isn't it?

Well, you could make a distinction between concrete things (like the desk I'm sitting at) and abstracts (thoughts, ideas). Don't get all Cartesian on me :hand:

What I'm trying to say is that sin^2x+cos^2x is 1 whether we know it or not, we do not invent the identity.

Well what are cos and sin anyway - ratios, no? Cos and sin are only appellations given to them by humans.....
NEVER

humanities students' existence with time can be modelled with a quadratic function and now its derivative is already negative!! time for the sciency students' existence graph with time to have a positive derivative!!!

Because I think Philosophy is very interesting. And it's taught from scratch :smile: (same as CS in that respect)

hope you'll enjoy it!

Latest

Trending

Trending