The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Yes Sainsbury's provide the trousers which apparently are complusory and must be worn. However, if you've got long legs - legs which they cant accomodate for, they order them!!! I started in July 2005 and then left June 2006 and I still havent seen these special ordered trousers!!!..........................
Reply 2
Even though this is old thought I'd write for anyone searching about Sainsbury's later.. they give you a polo shirt, trousers, jumper or fleece and you can wear your own shoes unless you request the hard toe ones if your working in an area where your toes could be at risk. You just have to wear dark shoes (eg black, navy blue) they can be trainers or normal shoes but no unsuitable heels, sling backs or ones with no sides etc. It's common sense really.

I'm like 5ft1 and size 6/8 and the tops and stuff are all men sizes the XS is huge on me! lol but they have different length trousers which fit me and they gave me size 8 which is a tad loose but they do. They are ugly men things though lol and come right up high on the waist. I despise them tbh!

You aren't allowed to have loose hair while working (unless its too short to tie up), nail polish on, earrings that aren't studs or sleepers, rings that aren't wedding rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. Minimum makeup is mentioned too but I think your ok with makeup aslong as it's not heavy and obvious like big red cheeks, black eyes,..
Reply 3
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the average pay per hour the night shift at sainsbury's is (i'm aware it may be different in different areas, I just want to know if it's worth me giving up my sleep for lol).
Reply 4
im not 100% about sainsburys but im guessing it might be similar to other supermarkets, my friend works at asda on nights and i dont think its more than £10 which in my opinion isnt worth giving up ur sleep for regularly! u cld try gettin a day job there and then doing nights for some extra money ocassionally
your friend gets £10...for the whole night :s-smilie::s-smilie:....how old is he/she and how many hours does she/he do
Reply 6
im guessing thats £10 ph
was gonna say lol, i would love to have a nightjob....rarely get to sleep before 4/half 4 ish...but everywhere i apply says they need experiance:frown:
well its usually £1.70 more to the base pay of £6.80ph = just about £8.50.
Reply 9
The night shift is £7.53 per hour at the store near me.
Reply 10
web_surfer17
well its usually £1.70 more to the base pay of £6.80ph = just about £8.50.

Sounds about right.
Well its prob cos ive been with the company for just over a year and have had a pay review. The store i work in is in Zone 3 in London.
Reply 12
What are the normal hours of a night-shift?
I want to apply for some, but can't apply for the stores with a long commute if my shift will start or end before the trains start running!
Reply 13
Should be a 1.50 premium
So ontop of the base rate of 6.08 it should be £7.53 (london)
Reply 14
11.45pm - 6.45am at mine! but they differ
Reply 15
zooeyj
11.45pm - 6.45am at mine! but they differ

Yeah, they do. They were mostly ok, but now I can't apply because the website keeps saying Error contact system administrator! :mad:
I just want to earn a living. :frown:

I'm tempted to send my CVs to the stores with a note explaining, even though I know it's meant to be all done online. I sent an email to someone (probs the wrong person!) about the website problems but I don't want to wait for it to be solved and find all the jobs are gone!
What to do?!
Reply 16
EskimoJo
Yeah, they do. They were mostly ok, but now I can't apply because the website keeps saying Error contact system administrator! :mad:
I just want to earn a living. :frown:

I'm tempted to send my CVs to the stores with a note explaining. I sent an email to someone (probs the wrong person!) about the website problems but I don't want to wait for it to be solved and find all the jobs are gone!
What to do?!

Ask at the store and see if they have any spaces. The sainsbury's I applied to had a few application forms at the customer service desk.
BUT... I had an interview for the night shift tonight, and had to be on the floor (shelf work) for an hour...

MY BACK IS SO SORE.

(not whining. I genuinely do have a bad back)

Seriously, don't go for a night shift job if you can't handle the physical labour that stacking 500 crates onto shelves brings............. and by now you've probably realised that if they offer me the job, i'm not taking it :p:
Reply 17
dani2511
Ask at the store and see if they have any spaces. The sainsbury's I applied to had a few application forms at the customer service desk.
BUT... I had an interview for the night shift tonight, and had to be on the floor (shelf work) for an hour...

MY BACK IS SO SORE.

(not whining. I genuinely do have a bad back)

Seriously, don't go for a night shift job if you can't handle the physical labour that stacking 500 crates onto shelves brings............. and by now you've probably realised that if they offer me the job, i'm not taking it :p:

Ooooh! Where do you live?! (i.e. which store? I must repeat once again that I am NOT a stalker :ninja:) I'm happy to endure hard labour, in fact I need it as my stamina is awful and I need to build up my upper body strength (for my future career in physiotherapy. I must also repeat again that I am NOT a rapist :ninja:).
I've seen 7 potential positions that I can apply for, so I might do the sending a letter + CV thing since it's easier than traipsing around the city to each store. I'll send a s.a.e as well in case they need to send an application form. Gosh, I'm spending so much on stamps I'm going to have to work for a year to cover the costs! (this is simply an exaggeration. I must repeat I am NOT a compulsive liar :ninja:).
What was the interview like? Was it a 'you need us, so here's a tough, sell-me-this-product and what-would-you-do-in-this-situation' type interview? Or a 'finally some staff!! You've already got the job so here's a check your details/fit you for your uniform/fire-escape locater' type 'interview'? (I must now finally point out that I'm just trying to get a gist of the interview process. I am not, repeat NOT a pyromaniac :ninja:)

I'm bored, that's why this post is so long. Sorry! :redface:
setmefree
Even though this is old thought I'd write for anyone searching about Sainsbury's later.. they give you a polo shirt, trousers, jumper or fleece and you can wear your own shoes unless you request the hard toe ones if your working in an area where your toes could be at risk. You just have to wear dark shoes (eg black, navy blue) they can be trainers or normal shoes but no unsuitable heels, sling backs or ones with no sides etc. It's common sense really.

I'm like 5ft1 and size 6/8 and the tops and stuff are all men sizes the XS is huge on me! lol but they have different length trousers which fit me and they gave me size 8 which is a tad loose but they do. They are ugly men things though lol and come right up high on the waist. I despise them tbh!

You aren't allowed to have loose hair while working (unless its too short to tie up), nail polish on, earrings that aren't studs or sleepers, rings that aren't wedding rings, bracelets, necklaces, etc. Minimum makeup is mentioned too but I think your ok with makeup aslong as it's not heavy and obvious like big red cheeks, black eyes,..

hi

do u no the orange jacket thing do they give you that too free
Reply 19
They will provide you with one garment for warmth whether it be a jumper or a zipper. I dont know what store you are working in but alot of stores including the one I'm in is now sporting the plum uniform - no orange fleeces anymore.