The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Snapescape
Yeah. It sounds really sophisticated when called a "fountain pen" :biggrin: Now I just need to know if they mark ELAT electronically or not.. I sure hope they don't :frown: Will have to see tomorrow.

My old history teacher used to make us write in fountain pen...used to shout at people for using biros :rofl:

I go to a very traditional school tbf :colonhash:
Reply 2221
Original post by Lac.
Yeah, thanks. I've got a bit of a mental block on the essay I'm supposed to be writing.
You're so lucky to live in Oxford - motivation all around you !

Well kinda. Everytime I go shopping I'm reminded of what could be.. but if I don't get in that'll be horrible :frown: Then again it did make the Oxford or Cambridge choice a lot easier, Oxford all the way!! :biggrin:

Original post by Snapescape
Good luck to everyone taking the ELAT test tomorrow!
I was wondering, this may be a stupid question, but are we allowed to bring our own pen into the exam? It's just that I have always written with an ink pen at school and it would really put me off if I had to write in biro :P Can anyone help me on this point? Cheers

Good luck to you too!! ahh :frown:
I'd imagine so, no reason why they shouldn't. In exams they sometimes say 'black ink' as opposed to blue so it's easier to read having been scanned or whatever.. so maybe with this as well.
whenever i come across an unseen that glosses words I do know but not the ones I don't I want to strangle someone :colonhash:
Reply 2223
Original post by medbh4805
whenever i come across an unseen that glosses words I do know but not the ones I don't I want to strangle someone :colonhash:

Story of my life - we have a latin translation every friday. But then again, in class it's so easy to manipulate the professor into giving you the answers :colone:
Original post by Lac.
Story of my life - we have a latin translation every friday. But then again, in class it's so easy to manipulate the professor into giving you the answers :colone:

:emo:
Reply 2225
Ah okay. I wrote some of my GCSEs in fountain pen :colone: but I think that was only okay because we do CCEA for most of our exams and they don't mark electronically :beard:

Gel and fountain pens work fine with electronic marking - they don't scan it based on impact marks, but on optical marks. The problem with gel and fountain pens is that their ink may not dry soon enough and result it you accidentally scrubbing the ink and making the writing unclear. (I used fountain pens for all my a-levels. :3)

And my a-levels were all Edexcel save for Phil which was AQA. I'm pretty sure Edexcel marks everything electronically.

Edit: Also, always use black ink. The others don't seem to be picked up as well as black by their scanners. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ReBee
Gel and fountain pens work fine with electronic marking - they don't scan it based on impact marks, but on optical marks. The problem with gel and fountain pens is that their ink may not dry soon enough and result it you accidentally scrubbing the ink and making the writing unclear. (I used fountain pens for all my a-levels. :3)

And my a-levels were all Edexcel save for Phil which was AQA. I'm pretty sure Edexcel marks everything electronically.

We were told not to use them for AQA/OCR/Edexcel because with fountain pens the ink can seep through the page? :dontknow: and somehow this messes us the electronic scanning or something :colonhash:
I also have to complete ALL my EPQ paperwork tonight, fml.
Reply 2228
We were told not to use them for AQA/OCR/Edexcel because with fountain pens the ink can seep through the page? :dontknow: and somehow this messes us the electronic scanning or something :colonhash:

Well, I didn't exactly use -traditional- fountain pens. I used a pen that looks, feels, and writes like a fountain pen, but is automatically filled through a cartridge. Seemed to work perfectly for me since I didn't have to do any pushing for the pen to actually write, unlike ball-point, which means faster writing! :redface:
Original post by such_a_lady
I also have to complete ALL my EPQ paperwork tonight, fml.
There's an awful lot of paperwork for the EPQ!
Reply 2230
Anyone else done almost no work for the HAT other than sort of glance at past papers? Please? Someone?!
Original post by ReBee
Well, I didn't exactly use -traditional- fountain pens. I used a pen that looks, feels, and writes like a fountain pen, but is automatically filled through a cartridge. Seemed to work perfectly for me since I didn't have to do any pushing for the pen to actually write, unlike ball-point, which means faster writing! :redface:

I use a traditional one :sexface:
Reply 2232
Add to Oxford Stalking Page please!

Username: Joshp
Subject: History and Politics
Standard Grade: 11111111
Higher: AAAAA
College: Hertford
Reply 2233
I use a traditional one :sexface:

Then your ink is probably more dilute, which means more and faster seeping! :sexface:
Original post by ReBee
Then your ink is probably more dilute, which means more and faster seeping! :sexface:

Indeed :sexface:
Reply 2235
Indeed :sexface:

Buy inks of a higher concentration online :sexface:
Original post by ReBee
Buy inks of a higher concentration online :sexface:

but i like my runny ink :sexface:
Reply 2237
but i like my runny ink :sexface:

But concentrated dries more quickly :sexface: