The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6780
Original post by I'm_Unsafe.
Ah it's good knowing other people feel the same way. Especially with the food and stuff. Realllly starting to crave some things now, trying to figure who's best to ask a little food parcel from ha - I don't think I could live with Japanese food, French food is pretty similar but there are some things they don't do. Cheddar cheese for one. I can't be doing with all their endless fancy cheeses to be honest. Also yeah, cider. I finally found the tiny cider section last night in the supermarket. But it's different, they had a choice between 'doux' and 'bulle' so I figured the latter would be quite strong and got the doux...basically I've bought very slightly alcoholic apple juice. It tastes very nice, but it's not Magners. I was shocked when I found out it was 2%! I can't wait for a roast dinner in a PROPER pub frankly.
I'm pretty tired myself too to be honest and it's not a ridiculous work schedule/lifestyle or anything. I think just constant language immersion and tedious bus commutes are tiring me out.
I wouldn't worry about the change in times/routines. You'll settle into a new pattern and it'll start to feel normal.
I just had a phone call from a very hungover boyfriend, it's probably good he was hungover though because it meant that my own mood probably wasn't as obvious, and I didn't want to worry him (because I know he will) by saying I feel crap still.
Gah, if only my flatmate was home, or atleast some of my friends were online, I'd have a distraction.

I found out the other day that Japanese cider, also called chuuhi, is actually a fizzy juice drink with only 3-5% alchohol! And nothing to do with apples. I haven't seen any at all yet. :frown:

I have discovered some things I like though. This week I tried oolong tea for the first time and love it. Also nashi (Japanese pears) are delicious - they are shaped like an apple and taste like a pear, and they are really juicy and in season at the moment. If only fruit wasn't so expensive here - one of my British friends here has started getting a 'greens allowance' for fruit from his parents, because otherwise it's unaffordable!

I know it's just a matter of time until I settle in, it's just taking so much longer than I thought! At least now I am all set up and have my money in a Japanese account, and I know where things are and how things work now so it's better than it was.

Also I heard from my bf today, he is finally back from his holiday and we have plans to skype later so I am very happy and excited! :smile: He has the day off before he starts his new job tomorrow. I think he sounds like he's finding it hard too.

It is so difficult when there are no distractions, also it is so hard to resist telling the bf how sad I feel those times, and how much I miss him! I have more than enough to keep me busy here, but even so, there are down times of the day and I can't be busy all the time, I need to relax too! I find if I'm alone with nothing to do, watching some online tv is a good distraction, or homework I suppose. I haven't quite found a way to deal with it either.
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi guys,

My LDR bf broke up with me a while ago because he "wasn't feeling it".
Needless to say I was/am heartbroken and begged him to stay with me (lame, I know).
So my problem is, I found out recently that he found someone else and being the bitter person I am, I sent him an email and at the end I wrote "btw, tell your manstealing bitch I hate her". Although it felt GREAT to send it, I'm kinda regretting it - could he "report" me for sending abusive emails or anything?
Reply 6782
I just want to forget him :frown:
I just want to move on with my life, I need the courage to cut him off and stop talking to him... it's killing me :frown:
Reply 6783
Original post by Ciccina
I just want to forget him :frown:
I just want to move on with my life, I need the courage to cut him off and stop talking to him... it's killing me :frown:

:frown: *hug*

I know it's impossibly hard right now, but this is where being in a LDR can actually be beneficial. Throw yourself into your life there, because he's not a part of it and you're not going to bump into him in the supermarket and bring back all this misery.
For a guy to miss you and question his decision, he needs you to actually leave first. It's the hardest thing in the world at the time but you need to be strong - delete off facebook, delete his number, go completely no-contact and focus on your own life and moving forward.
Hi there guys, been reading some of the stuff on this post and am going to ask for some advice, please. :colondollar:

My boyfriend is very laid back, though at the start of the relationship he obviously put lots of effort in & made me very happy. We've been together for almost 3 years now & just started different universities, 100 miles apart, about 5 weeks ago - seen each other 3 weekends out of those. So, it's been pretty good in seeing each other so far. I'm actually not minding the distance so much, because I have a lot of reading, homework and essays to do, so I see it as beneficial from not distracting me!

However, I'm only happy with long distance if he puts in effort while we're not apart. But I feel he doesn't. In the 2nd week, a girl came onto him & they kissed for about 3 seconds. (I'm not blaming her, but she did sleep with 4+ people in the first week of university, whilst he has only ever slept with one - me :tongue:). He was totally drunk, and called me up straight away and cried etc etc. So I got over that, yet he admitted to me that if I had done the same to him he would probably have dumped me.

I try and call him every day, even if it is for 5 - 10 minutes, but he rarely calls me, and usually it is because I have text him several times reminding him. I have sent him 2 or 3 postcards/letters to show him I love him, & again, after I have reluctantly 'nagged' him (which I really want to avoid) he has sent me one back. I'm not expecting him to text me every half an hour telling me how much he misses me, or show his love all the time, but it is very rare. So I feel a little let down by him, because I am putting more effort in. Last weekend he even told me he thought I loved him more than he loves me, though after this he did cry (also, a very very rare occurrence) & told me I was the best thing he had, he loved me very much & wanted to be with me.

Basically, my question to you guys is: do you think this is just him being unsettled & taken aback a bit at university, & do you think he will ever put just a tad more effort in? He seems to be not very affectionate with me anymore. I have told him several times I'm not happy but it is clear that he doesn't put in effort after the discussion. We both hope this is just adjusting to being 100 miles apart, rather than 5 minutes' walk away, but I don't want to feel like I'm getting a crappy deal. Thanks for any advice, if you do think I'm making it out to be a bigger deal than it really is then please say, it's just I'm new to this LDR business, & all I get advice from is my best friend (been in an LDR for about 18 months) who hadn't been going out with her boyfriend that long when he went to university, & he is naturally a romantic so they are in constant contact!

Thanks.
Reply 6785
Original post by fiona_x
:frown: *hug*

I know it's impossibly hard right now, but this is where being in a LDR can actually be beneficial. Throw yourself into your life there, because he's not a part of it and you're not going to bump into him in the supermarket and bring back all this misery.
For a guy to miss you and question his decision, he needs you to actually leave first. It's the hardest thing in the world at the time but you need to be strong - delete off facebook, delete his number, go completely no-contact and focus on your own life and moving forward.

Thank you...it's true, it's the hardest thing...but I have to do it.
I've just deleted him off facebook...gosh it's so hard :frown:
I'm thinking to at least write him an email/text explaining that I need some time alone...
I don't know :frown:
Reply 6786
Well done! :smile: The first few days are the hardest, and you're not being petty or immature, just looking out for yourself.
After being together a long time I don't think a text or an email explaining that you need your space is out or order, its up to you. The trouble will be sticking to it afterwards. Good Luck and I hope things work out for you.
Hi, not sure what the protocol is but just wanted to introduce myself as a soon to be new LDR person.

In two weeks I'm moving to Vietnam for 13 months to teach English whilst my boyfriend will still be in the UK finishing his masters. I'm quite worried because 9000 miles is a long way and I won't be coming home at all!

I've tried to read some of the thread but it's so long! Any body have any good snippets of advice or dos and donts?

Reply 6788
He doesnt seem excited or bothered about seeing each other tomorrow at all - it's been almost two months since we saw each other and it's just put a huge damper on it for me :frown:
Well, I am now single once again.

We split up on Tuesday night. All amicable and stuff. Just some issues arose that wouldn't leave so we thought it was for the best.

No nastiness and I hope we can stay friends.

Although it was amicable and I kind of expected it, it still hurt.
Hi, don't post on TSR often, but wanted advice on the long distance thing.

I had a gf for about 2 years, we broke up once or twice in the summer before uni (I'm now a second year), and got back together in first term of freshers. I feel I may have treated her badly in the relationship, not in any harmful way, but by maybe not loving her enough or letting her know that I do, or even being there emotionally at all.

We go to different unis, only an hour, maybe hour and a half away however, and I have a car so I can see her whenever. But we have only seen each other twice this semester, both during freshers week start of October. I was ill the week after and she's been busy or back home for the other week or so ( She claims). We are both very busy with uni as we both do science degrees, I have offered to come see her whenever she was free, but she said she would have to see. Although the avoidance is probably because when we saw each other the in October, it was kind of distant and there wasn't much communication.

So that's the general background, I know there is always going to be a problem in any relationship I'm in at the moment, even with 'friends', of which I have none, I would say I have acquaintances as opposed to friends. I think this is because of my emotional issues. I don't know why but I often feel emotionless and find it impossible to say what I feel. I feel I have an eating disorder aswell possibly, I have been going from starving to binging for around a year. I use a appetite suppressant to allow myself to eat only a pack of meat in the evenings. I don't do this out of vanity or anything, I just can't seem to be comfortable in my own clothes/body, if I'm not starving I'm out of control, neglect studies and buy loads of food (Last week was one of those bad weeks, I spent about £30 a day on food and ate it on that day.) I don't seem to feel emotion, just numb. When she broke up with me I didn't feel anything, I felt kind of sad and I knew the call she was going to make was going to be about breaking up, I was shakey and nervous before the call but when she spoke to me, I froze up, I tried to speak but couldn't say more than mumble yes/no/I don't know/ etc, she was crying during the call. Afterwards I cut myself on the arm, and I done it again and again for the past few days, they're very minor, but enough so that I have to hide my arm in public. I don't think I'm doing it as a cry for attention, I don't want my ex to see it, it's just a way of feeling something, I want to feel sad, I want to feel like crying, but I don't, not even a single tear was shed during or after that phonecall, I don't think I've shed a tear since our first break up last year summer.
I want to get her back, I don't know how, I don't know if i should. I'm clearly damaged and she could do much better, everytime I see her I'm moody and tired cz I'm starving myself. What should I do?

Cliffs/ Extras
- GF of 2 years broke up with me
- Eating disorder (she knows about, worries but doesn't care too much, tries to tempt me to eat by talking about going to restaurants etc.)
- self-harmed after she broke up with me
- emotionally unavailable to her or anyone ( barely say more than few words to even my parents on the phone)

Sorry about the ridiculously long message, I don't think I could really trim it down without missing something, I just need some advice!
Original post by Anonymous
Hi, don't post on TSR often, but wanted advice on the long distance thing.

I had a gf for about 2 years, we broke up once or twice in the summer before uni (I'm now a second year), and got back together in first term of freshers. I feel I may have treated her badly in the relationship, not in any harmful way, but by maybe not loving her enough or letting her know that I do, or even being there emotionally at all.

We go to different unis, only an hour, maybe hour and a half away however, and I have a car so I can see her whenever. But we have only seen each other twice this semester, both during freshers week start of October. I was ill the week after and she's been busy or back home for the other week or so ( She claims). We are both very busy with uni as we both do science degrees, I have offered to come see her whenever she was free, but she said she would have to see. Although the avoidance is probably because when we saw each other the in October, it was kind of distant and there wasn't much communication.

So that's the general background, I know there is always going to be a problem in any relationship I'm in at the moment, even with 'friends', of which I have none, I would say I have acquaintances as opposed to friends. I think this is because of my emotional issues. I don't know why but I often feel emotionless and find it impossible to say what I feel. I feel I have an eating disorder aswell possibly, I have been going from starving to binging for around a year. I use a appetite suppressant to allow myself to eat only a pack of meat in the evenings. I don't do this out of vanity or anything, I just can't seem to be comfortable in my own clothes/body, if I'm not starving I'm out of control, neglect studies and buy loads of food (Last week was one of those bad weeks, I spent about £30 a day on food and ate it on that day.) I don't seem to feel emotion, just numb. When she broke up with me I didn't feel anything, I felt kind of sad and I knew the call she was going to make was going to be about breaking up, I was shakey and nervous before the call but when she spoke to me, I froze up, I tried to speak but couldn't say more than mumble yes/no/I don't know/ etc, she was crying during the call. Afterwards I cut myself on the arm, and I done it again and again for the past few days, they're very minor, but enough so that I have to hide my arm in public. I don't think I'm doing it as a cry for attention, I don't want my ex to see it, it's just a way of feeling something, I want to feel sad, I want to feel like crying, but I don't, not even a single tear was shed during or after that phonecall, I don't think I've shed a tear since our first break up last year summer.
I want to get her back, I don't know how, I don't know if i should. I'm clearly damaged and she could do much better, everytime I see her I'm moody and tired cz I'm starving myself. What should I do?

Cliffs/ Extras
- GF of 2 years broke up with me
- Eating disorder (she knows about, worries but doesn't care too much, tries to tempt me to eat by talking about going to restaurants etc.)
- self-harmed after she broke up with me
- emotionally unavailable to her or anyone ( barely say more than few words to even my parents on the phone)

Sorry about the ridiculously long message, I don't think I could really trim it down without missing something, I just need some advice!

That sounds awful :frown: I've been through that stuff too as I have a mental health diagnosis and when it's mixed with relationship issues, it's not good. I used to cut, and just before I broke up with my last boyfriend I was skin and bones due to antidepressants reducing my appetite to nothing. He was trying very hard to help me, but I couldn't keep it up and I felt relieved after I didn't have the pressure of a relationship anymore.

Does your ex know about this stuff? Does she know how you feel about her? I think you're not doing yourself any good by trying to get her back before you've fixed yourself. Find someone to talk to, not her.
That sounds awful :frown: I've been through that stuff too as I have a mental health diagnosis and when it's mixed with relationship issues, it's not good. I used to cut, and just before I broke up with my last boyfriend I was skin and bones due to antidepressants reducing my appetite to nothing. He was trying very hard to help me, but I couldn't keep it up and I felt relieved after I didn't have the pressure of a relationship anymore.

Does your ex know about this stuff? Does she know how you feel about her? I think you're not doing yourself any good by trying to get her back before you've fixed yourself. Find someone to talk to, not her.

Thanks for answering, she only knows I have a bit of an eating disorder, I haven't told her about using suppressants, I haven't spoken to her since the phonecall, she seems to be getting on ok herself which is why I'm hesitant to contact her. I still have her on twitter/facebook, and she has been clubbing twice this week and seems to planning to go again this weekend, she changed the relationship status to single aswell. I honestly don't know what she thinks I feel about her, I have a hard time expressing my emotions to anyone, in person is especially difficult! So many times I have even wanted to post on forums and try and share, but have stopped at the last minute. I merely lurk over various ones to see if anyone is going through the same. I've only decided now because she seems to be moving on already and I seem to be retreating inwards. I literally have no-one else to talk to, a mate or two in my course who I work with and a few from my hometown that I have grown apart from. My ex was really the only person I hung out with and felt closest too. But something inside of me seems to stop myself from having any emotion to give to her, I don't even think I could explain what causes me to be like this to anyone, I don't even know myself why!!
Thanks for answering, she only knows I have a bit of an eating disorder, I haven't told her about using suppressants, I haven't spoken to her since the phonecall, she seems to be getting on ok herself which is why I'm hesitant to contact her. I still have her on twitter/facebook, and she has been clubbing twice this week and seems to planning to go again this weekend, she changed the relationship status to single aswell. I honestly don't know what she thinks I feel about her, I have a hard time expressing my emotions to anyone, in person is especially difficult! So many times I have even wanted to post on forums and try and share, but have stopped at the last minute. I merely lurk over various ones to see if anyone is going through the same. I've only decided now because she seems to be moving on already and I seem to be retreating inwards. I literally have no-one else to talk to, a mate or two in my course who I work with and a few from my hometown that I have grown apart from. My ex was really the only person I hung out with and felt closest too. But something inside of me seems to stop myself from having any emotion to give to her, I don't even think I could explain what causes me to be like this to anyone, I don't even know myself why!!

I stick by what I said earlier - it is not good for you to keep checking up on her and watching her get on with her life, while you aren't getting on with yours. I would suggest deleting her from facebook and twitter, difficult as it may be and focus on yourself. I believe there is a reason why people break up, and there's no use trying to fix it while you are still in the same position.

I know what it's like to feel like you have no one you can talk to, because I also have few friends and part of my mental health issue is that I have big problems trusting anyone or letting anyone help me. You don't have to spill your heart out to anyone, but it might help just to meet up with a couple of friends for a drink or just for company every now and again. Get out of the house, go out even if you don't feel like it. Maybe start a new hobby or do something new you've always wanted to do. Last time I was really low, I decided I was going to start training for my bike test and it was one of the best things I ever did - I had a lot of fun doing it, and met loads of new people, and I passed my test three months later!

As for your eating disorder and other problems, I am reluctant to suggest it due to my own experiences, but try seeing your GP or university counselling service. Maybe they will be more helpful than mine - my CBT therapist decided there was nothing more he could do with me, and my GP just put me from one medication to the next. If not, just feeling better about yourself can help a great deal, by following the above advice. :smile:
Anyone have any advice for someone who's partner is planning on studying in another country? :frown:
Original post by Acacia_161
Anyone have any advice for someone who's partner is planning on studying in another country? :frown:

(For 3-5 years, and I am doubtful we'll have enough money to buy flights to see each other apart from maybe once or twice a year)
Reply 6796

I do :smile: Don't make my mistake, don't look all sad and full of regret because he's "going away from you".

Embrace and accept the idea that is for your (both of you) own good...a foreign university is his dream, therefore he wouldn't be happy if he had to give it up, and would resent you in the long run. You don't want that, because you love him and wanna be with him.

Instead, be as supportive as you can be: see this as an opportunity for him to enrich his knowledge and experience, which will make him a better person. Also, keep in mind that it is for a *limited* amount of time (how long is he planning to study there?)
And, last but not least...h o l i d a y s s s ! You can go there and see him, and you can explore the country together. It'll be fun.

I'm telling you this because I wasn't really supportive with my better half...I went all emotional and reacted in a way I shouldn't have...and it was a very silly thing to do, and it brought him -among other things that didn't go well anyways- to go away from me.

Basically, if you think that you can trust his commitment, be supportive. Help him looking for info on the uni and courses, do a little research on the country/town he's moving to, help him prepare everything for his trip...make it *fun*.

Then have a seat and discuss on how your relationship is going to change...talk about ways to stay in touch (skype, msn, whatsapp, skebby..) and make plans to see one another.

Buy him a camera. And a picture of you two.
And keep in mind...everything is going to be okay :smile:
Reply 6797
(For 3-5 years, and I am doubtful we'll have enough money to buy flights to see each other apart from maybe once or twice a year)

You can still make it work :smile:

Some -inspirational- people here haven't seen each other for a whole year...not saying it's easy, but someone has gone the same road before, so there's hope :smile:

where is he going, if I can ask?
I stick by what I said earlier - it is not good for you to keep checking up on her and watching her get on with her life, while you aren't getting on with yours. I would suggest deleting her from facebook and twitter, difficult as it may be and focus on yourself. I believe there is a reason why people break up, and there's no use trying to fix it while you are still in the same position.

I know what it's like to feel like you have no one you can talk to, because I also have few friends and part of my mental health issue is that I have big problems trusting anyone or letting anyone help me. You don't have to spill your heart out to anyone, but it might help just to meet up with a couple of friends for a drink or just for company every now and again. Get out of the house, go out even if you don't feel like it. Maybe start a new hobby or do something new you've always wanted to do. Last time I was really low, I decided I was going to start training for my bike test and it was one of the best things I ever did - I had a lot of fun doing it, and met loads of new people, and I passed my test three months later!

As for your eating disorder and other problems, I am reluctant to suggest it due to my own experiences, but try seeing your GP or university counselling service. Maybe they will be more helpful than mine - my CBT therapist decided there was nothing more he could do with me, and my GP just put me from one medication to the next. If not, just feeling better about yourself can help a great deal, by following the above advice. :smile:

I deleted her on fb etc. Only to unblock later on, we txt last night, she said she wanted to be friends, I expressed doubts because I know I would want more than that from her. She said we would probably see each other for the xmas break, I asked if there was a chance of seeing her before then, it was up to me. Roll over to today, I txt her saying she doesn't have time to see me, she wouldn't beforehand, she sent a hurtful text back about how much hurt she's been through the last month because she was unsure about us. It really hit me what she said in that text about how much I mistreated her, I tried to open up, I told her that I've been keeping things from her ( meaning the self harm, suppressants, depression, lack of emotion etc) I tried to tell her that I thought about her every day, mentioned her infront of others, that I try to cater to her needs but I'm emotionless and it's hard. She turned it down, she said she needs space, that we can't speak to each other anymore. She was mad because I deleted her on networks, she thought I was kicking her out of my life, I tried to explain that it was because I was checking the page every 10 minutes to see what she was doing. She didn't say much it was just me trying to explain and her saying to stop.

To close the rant, thank you for trying to help me, it seems the relationship is well and truly over, a small part of me thought it was just a setback, we've broken up before for stupid reasons, mainly me, I broke up with her before, but she was persistent and we got back together. I was stupid to let her go before I thought I could salvage it now but I don't think it's possible, I still hold some hope that maybe it can happen, I will wait for her. Thanks for your kind response, I probably won't use this thread again as I have no need but I thought it best to close the story incase your waiting for me to get back to you.
Reply 6799

Original post by Ciccina
I do :smile: Don't make my mistake, don't look all sad and full of regret because he's "going away from you".

Embrace and accept the idea that is for your (both of you) own good...a foreign university is his dream, therefore he wouldn't be happy if he had to give it up, and would resent you in the long run. You don't want that, because you love him and wanna be with him.

Instead, be as supportive as you can be: see this as an opportunity for him to enrich his knowledge and experience, which will make him a better person. Also, keep in mind that it is for a *limited* amount of time (how long is he planning to study there?)
And, last but not least...h o l i d a y s s s ! You can go there and see him, and you can explore the country together. It'll be fun.

I'm telling you this because I wasn't really supportive with my better half...I went all emotional and reacted in a way I shouldn't have...and it was a very silly thing to do, and it brought him -among other things that didn't go well anyways- to go away from me.

Basically, if you think that you can trust his commitment, be supportive. Help him looking for info on the uni and courses, do a little research on the country/town he's moving to, help him prepare everything for his trip...make it *fun*.

Then have a seat and discuss on how your relationship is going to change...talk about ways to stay in touch (skype, msn, whatsapp, skebby..) and make plans to see one another.

Buy him a camera. And a picture of you two.
And keep in mind...everything is going to be okay :smile:

The above advice is really good! +1

I am studying abroad at the moment, so I am in the situation where my boyfriend is at home while I'm away. It might feel like it, but it's not the end of the world! Speaking as the person who has gone away, I am not having too much fun to miss my boyfriend, but I am also not sitting in my room pining for him. I look forward to when I get to speak to him, but have to deal with it when it's not possible because of time or technology problems!

First of all, it's only temporary, and there are many ways of keeping in touch. With my boyfriend I use skype and email because it's free. We have to deal with a 9 hour time difference too, and that's the really tough part, and it has been difficult to accept that we just can't talk or spend as much time together as we used to. This leaves me with a lot of time to myself, for going out with friends, travelling and experiencing the country.

We also send each other post cards, letters and parcels in the post. I have one sitting on my desk right now ready to post on Monday with some sweets, a card, and a present inside. Without the distance we would never have done anything like that, so some parts of being long distance are actually fun!

Last of all, you will be able to visit each other. We are an £800 plane ticket apart, so it's just as well my boyfriend is in full-time well paid work. He is coming to visit at Christmas - next week will be the halfway point from when I last saw him until Christmas Eve when he arrives! It will give you something to look forward to, and you will have a lot of fun seeing his country and spending time together.

That's just my own take on the whole thing, but my tip no.1 to anyone in a long distance relationship is, don't get too sad about it and make the most of the time! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending