The Student Room Group

Media Studies is NOT a soft subject.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jus2sik
yah i know but i couldnt resist picking up on the creativity thing

OMG yah yah... yah I know, right? *High-five*

It's really difficult to find one aspect of Maths (algorithms) and prove that it isn't creative... :rolleyes:

You get given complex equations in Maths/Further Maths and have to draw on all your knowledge of identities to manipulate the terms into something you can play with and solve.

Write a poem/song? Simple. Mightn't be a good song but anyone could do it. Just writing one isn't really being creative, it's the literary equivalent to following an algorithm.

And like I said, I wasn't saying there's no room for creativity in Media Studies - just that it seems mostly to be rote learning. As the OP even said, it's about tying in 'theorist's' [sic] ideas, not your own.

Dumbass.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by Simplicity
Confirmed for troll.

Solve this then

(1+3i)(2+3i)=z

and z2=3+2iz^2=3+2i

No bloody school would let their students do A level Further Maths before doing normal maths when you are a GCSE student.

Out of interest how to do solve it? I'm studying further maths atm but only done one half term worth of AS :P
Original post by Phuck
I hope so. Sarcasm doesn't convey very well over the internet.

I think he is studying Mathematics. Pretty sure I can remember him posting in the Maths section.

This makes me want to start a thread about what A level not to do.
Original post by Bobifier
I would be interested to know which set of Nobel prizes you are looking at. Certainly I am confident it is not the one everyone else is familiar with.

Lol I think I mixed it up with the shaw prize.
Original post by bench
Out of interest how to do solve it? I'm studying further maths atm but only done one half term worth of AS :P

Well the first you just expand the brackets

(1+3i)(2+3i)=z

so 2+3i+6i+9i^2=z

so 2-9+(3+6)i=z since i^2=-1.

For the second you write 3+2i in polar form so you have reiθ=z2re^{i\theta}=z^2, then r0.5eiθ2=zr^{0.5}e^{\frac{i \theta}{2}}=z.

See what OP did was nonsense. If he wrote down you need to change it to polar form, then I would have assumed he wasn't a troll or just lying. His sister probably doesn't work BBC aswell.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 85
Original post by Jessie7003

I'm guessing by the fact that you changed your OP to "...." that you got royaly pwned?
Reply 86
Original post by Phuck
You're a fool. You can take a maths degree to almost any employer and they will be impressed. Media studies on the other hand...
You're either a troll or just very stupid.

Also, don't forget I COULD work at BBC as a janitor....

:colone:
Reply 87
Original post by Greatleysteg
OMG yah yah... yah I know, right? *High-five*

It's really difficult to find one aspect of Maths (algorithms) and prove that it isn't creative... :rolleyes:

You get given complex equations in Maths/Further Maths and have to draw on all your knowledge of identities to manipulate the terms into something you can play with and solve.

Write a poem/song? Simple. Mightn't be a good song but anyone could do it. Just writing one isn't really being creative, it's the literary equivalent to following an algorithm.

And like I said, I wasn't saying there's no room for creativity in Media Studies - just that it seems mostly to be rote learning. As the OP even said, it's about tying in 'theorist's' [sic] ideas, not your own.

Dumbass.

hi 5 :tongue: looks like I upset someone, aww:rolleyes:
Reply 88
Original post by Bobifier
If you are doing maths that doesn't require you to be creative, you are doing the wrong maths. I might even go so far as to argue that you are probably not really doing maths at all.

2 points to you, i gave it up after a levels but im doing a computer science degree and a fair bit of that involves maths, if we were on family fortunes you could have just won yourself a prize right now:biggrin:
I chose Media Studies at AS level and I from my personal experience, I can safely say that it is a soft subject. I did not revise one bit and got a B. This would not happen in any other subject.
I mistakenly took media studies at A-Level... I really regret it. While the coursework was fun and I really enjoyed that, and some of the things we studied were quite interesting, I regret taking it because it was so easy, and considered by many as a 'soft' subject. Looking back, I wish I'd taken Classics or Music now.

While this is my opinion, something which also made me think this was when I looked at my A Level results. I started revising for music technology about three weeks / a month before the exams. I got two C's in them. I started revising for media studies about three hours before the actual exam... and I got an A in it. Says it all really...

To be fair they're probably a bit biased
just to add my opinion i would go as far as to say that there's no point in studying anything other than maths, science or engineering related subjects at uni (i'd probably add law to this group aswell as some other specific courses). With the rest of them you're better off just going straight into the industry and working your way up
Original post by Somali-Pir8
To be fair they're probably a bit biased
just to add my opinion i would go as far as to say that there's no point in studying anything other than maths, science or engineering related subjects at uni (i'd probably add law to this group aswell as some other specific courses). With the rest of them you're better off just going straight into the industry and working your way up

I'm taking science A-Levels and have applied for a Science course at University and I completely disagree with you. Ignorance of the Arts seems to be a common trait in the scientists I've met, particularly in engineers.

1) The majority of people studying for Arts courses do so out of genuine intellectual interest and not to boost their employability. I'd go as far to say that students in Arts faculties study for, on the whole, more noble reasons than most science students.

2) It would seem that almost all employees in competitive industries (Journalism being the example at hand) are graduates. Surely this shows that a degree is still the best option for prospective employees?
Reply 94
I study it at GCSE and it's by no means soft. We've had to write essays, learn theories and use technology to create portfolios. Everyone thinks it's just watching films and editing pictures. Yet, I'm in my final unit and we're only just using creativity for coursework.

It annoys me people say it's a soft subject. I find maths and science easier than media. You can't say it's soft until you've tried it.
I did better in my biology, chemistry, physics, maths, french...basically every single one of my GCSE's than media studies.

That **** is surprisingly tricky! I bet if a lot of your guys had a stab at it, you probably wouldn't do that good. It's weird, it should be easy, but it's not.

And plus, the lessons were amazing, I used to look forward to my nice friday evening of cutting our magazine pictures, watching Disney Clips etc...
Original post by Deziah
I study it at GCSE and it's by no means soft. We've had to write essays, learn theories and use technology to create portfolios. Everyone thinks it's just watching films and editing pictures. Yet, I'm in my final unit and we're only just using creativity for coursework.

It annoys me people say it's a soft subject. I find maths and science easier than media. You can't say it's soft until you've tried it.

:colondollar: That's what we did. But I think that we just had an awful teacher who gave us anything to keep us busy for the hour.

The course work was actually quite difficult to achieve a high grade in. As was the exam. I actually loved my Media Studies lessons, it was the only lesson where I could use some creativity. And I definitely agree with you in finding science easier!

*sigh* memories of those GCSE times*
Original post by Stardust Mirage
I'm sure the job demand for media studies is higher than maths. I don't see a Nobel prize in media studies but I see one in maths, I wonder why?

But, there is no Nobel Prize for Maths. :eyebrow:. Dude, if you're gonna ****talk, at least get your facts right.
media studies...i wouldn't classify that as a soft subject...cause my sister did it...and it didn't seem easy the way she discribed it...BUT..drama, dance, music, art, film studies..yeah they probably are....media....hmmmmm not sure...
Reply 99
It is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending