The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Hey everyone :smile:

I'm applying for Oxford, Cardiff, Nottingham, Lancaster and Leicester! Obvs I would love to go to Oxy but I just can't see it happening tbh because of my B in GCSE Maths and comparatively low TSA scores :frown: Anyone else worried because they have majority Arts Subjects? I did Psychology, Eng Lit, Eng Lang and History first year, dropped Eng Lit for 2nd. Got A's across the board apart from that one bladdy B in Maths :frown: I don't wanna be an Oxford wannabe!

Got offers from Cardiff and Leicester last week though :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!
Can I just ask those who have offers: did you get work experience, and if yes, what? Thanks (:
Reply 342
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Can I just ask those who have offers: did you get work experience, and if yes, what? Thanks (:

I volunteered at a skills development centre for a bit, that's it. :smile:
Original post by Mmrawrr
I volunteered at a skills development centre for a bit, that's it. :smile:

Ah ok :biggrin: how did you relate it to your course?

Because I have work experience and stuff, it's just relating it to Psychology which is hard!!
I want to join this thread, when my school actually sends my application off :/
Original post by Sikologi
Hey everyone :smile:

I'm applying for Oxford, Cardiff, Nottingham, Lancaster and Leicester! Obvs I would love to go to Oxy but I just can't see it happening tbh because of my B in GCSE Maths and comparatively low TSA scores :frown: Anyone else worried because they have majority Arts Subjects? I did Psychology, Eng Lit, Eng Lang and History first year, dropped Eng Lit for 2nd. Got A's across the board apart from that one bladdy B in Maths :frown: I don't wanna be an Oxford wannabe!

Got offers from Cardiff and Leicester last week though :biggrin:

Good luck to everyone!

Don't Oxford require more than one science/maths? to be honest people (usually) get over the rejection letter by the next day, so I wouldn't worry about that...
Original post by iammichealjackson
Don't Oxford require more than one science/maths? to be honest people (usually) get over the rejection letter by the next day, so I wouldn't worry about that...

No, it doesn't require that, it only says it prefers at least one A-level in science or maths.
Reply 347
Original post by ladyinvgoue
Woah woah woah... If Warwick puts the PS at the bottom of the list then bye-bye offer from there, for my PS, I think, maaaay be a little bit stronger than my academics... :s-smilie: But good to know anyway, so thanks :wink: I did work experience at a fashion magazine, and before that a couple of weeks in a marketing department at a school. Well done for linking your w.e. with psychology, that was very smart! So where have you applied/got offers? :smile:

I've applied to Cambridge (a very long shot but I decided to see what happens), Bath, Birmingham (for the MSci), Manchester and Cardiff. I've only got an offer from Manc so far but hopefully *fingers crossed* i'll get a couple more, manc will be a good insurance if i do get more.

What are your predictions?
Helloo!
I've applied for Sheffield, Birmingham, Liverpool, Sheffield Hallam and Nottingham Trent. I've got offers now from both Liverpool and Birmingham. :smile: good luck to everyone!
Reply 349
Original post by iammichealjackson

Nope they only ask for one, Cambridge asks for 2 and discounts Psychology. But at Oxford they told me that they mainly do that so that people are aware it's a science subject and not all Psychotherapy mumbo jumbo :P
Nope they only ask for one, Cambridge asks for 2 and discounts Psychology. But at Oxford they told me that they mainly do that so that people are aware it's a science subject and not all Psychotherapy mumbo jumbo :P

:tongue: I was just explaining to someone who wanted to take psychology that it's not about psychotherapy... :rolleyes:
Reply 351
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
Ah ok :biggrin: how did you relate it to your course?

Because I have work experience and stuff, it's just relating it to Psychology which is hard!!

I didn't link it to the course really. I just explained what I gained from it. :smile:

Oh okay. Im sure last year they asked for two... at least one of my offers did. I assumed because a 1/3 of oxford is neuroscience and 1/3 stats that they would ask for more, oh well. Cambridge PPS ask for no sciences (but say they like a mix of arts and sciences) and Cambridge Natsci ask for 2 (definately prefer 3) FYI.

If oxford candidates think psychology is about psychotherapy then we're all ****ed... i think york and UCL ask for two now :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 353
Well done you guys that have offers!! You're all so smart! :O
By the looks of it, no one has a reply from UCL yet for Psychology? Anyone?
Reply 355
Original post by TheNextBigMoonFruit
By the looks of it, no one has a reply from UCL yet for Psychology? Anyone?

Someone on TSR has received their psychology questionnaire, so they're a step closer than we are.
Original post by yaymeg
I've applied to Cambridge (a very long shot but I decided to see what happens), Bath, Birmingham (for the MSci), Manchester and Cardiff. I've only got an offer from Manc so far but hopefully *fingers crossed* i'll get a couple more, manc will be a good insurance if i do get more.

What are your predictions?

you're applying for the MSci? I wanted to so bad but they told me without a level maths there was no point me applying =/
Reply 357
Original post by TitchTheAntiHero
you're applying for the MSci? I wanted to so bad but they told me without a level maths there was no point me applying =/

what i find weird is that maths is required for the psychology and psychological practice MSci, but just preferred for the Psychology and Psychological research MSci... you'd think it'd be the other way around...

Theres always the transfer though, so you could still get on it XD. It just annoys me that there are only 5 places each time, its my perfect course =/.
Original post by yaymeg
what i find weird is that maths is required for the psychology and psychological practice MSci, but just preferred for the Psychology and Psychological research MSci... you'd think it'd be the other way around...

Theres always the transfer though, so you could still get on it XD. It just annoys me that there are only 5 places each time, its my perfect course =/.

really? thats weird!
I even tried pleading that I have an A* at GCSE Stats, an A at GCSE Maths, A2 Chemistry and A2 Psychology but they were still like
noooo :frown:
I will have to transfer I guess, but it's my dream course too D:

it also annoys me theres only one MSci for Psy, my friends applying for Chem and Maths have MSci's like, everywhere =/
Reply 359
I know it's still early but I'm waiting on responses from Durham and Bath now and wondered if anyone knew when Durham typically gives offers for Applied Psychology (I applied to John Snow)? It sounds like I won't hear back from Bath before March, but if anyone knows differently I'd love to hear so!! :smile:

Good luck with your applications everyone! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest