The Student Room Group

Why are some people so anti-makeup?

Ive only come across this once or twice in person but on here, loads of people seem to hate makeup with a deep burning passion, guys and girls. Im genuinely curious about this, why would you hate it? Everyone looks better with well applied makeup. Even worse, you get the people who think they have some sort of moral high-ground for not wearing it. Erm no you don't, you just look like you cba to make an effort. So why do so many people hate it on here? I dont mind people not wearing it, I just don't see why people are so aggressively against it.

Im talking about well applied makeup, not badly caked on stuff.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think most people are referring to the poorly applied stuff

Also, the general rule should be, "Less is more"
Because people underestimate its power, and often go overboard. This leads to... bad memories for several people, and we don't want that.
Reply 3
Maybe it's because it's our own views. For example, I really don't see the point in it for everyday use. Sure, I can understand it being used for going out to parties and special occasions. I've always disliked make-up ever since I was young. ;P
Must be apart of the anti plastic movement too
Original post by The Real Quaid
I think most people are referring to the poorly applied stuff

Also, the general rule should be, "Less is more"

Makes sense, but you get comments like "foundation ALWAYS looks horrible" and "Natural is soooo much better"...unless they think well applied makeup = no makeup, which is a possibility. :tongue:
Original post by LipstickKisses

But that's the only issue really. Most guys like the 'natural' look (aka what they percieve to be 'no makeup', since a lot of guys wouldn't be able to tell :tongue:) since the caked on way often leads men to think that the woman is insecure about her looks.
Reply 7
Even worse, you get the people who think they have some sort of moral high-ground for not wearing it. Erm no you don't, you just look like you cba to make an effort. So why do so many people hate it on here? I dont mind people not wearing it, I just don't see why people are so aggressively against it.

Seems like you're being judgemental about people not wearing it too tbh :p:

I don't wear makeup much because I'm worried I'll do it wrong, ha. I go into Boots and there's such a ridiculous range to choose from it puts me off... I do need to wear it because my skin isn't very good but I just wear foundation and some mascara when I'm going somewhere nice. I can never get my eyes to look that good either, not with all the blending and eyeliner and stuff I think you're supposed to do. :colondollar: I also don't really get what I would do if I wear makeup every day - then if I go out somewhere special I'll look the same as I always do :s-smilie:

Edit: wtf at the rep! I'm guessing you all have the same difficulties as me? :P
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by sicarius1992
But that's the only issue really. Most guys like the 'natural' look (aka what they percieve to be 'no makeup', since a lot of guys wouldn't be able to tell :tongue:) since the caked on way often leads men to think that the woman is insecure about her looks.

That's what I've always thought, that 'we like natural girls!' means natural looking makeup.

Original post by ily_em
Seems like you're being judgemental about people not wearing it too tbh :p:

I don't wear makeup much because I'm worried I'll do it wrong, ha. I go into Boots and there's such a ridiculous range to choose from it puts me off... I do need to wear it because my skin isn't very good but I just wear foundation and some mascara when I'm going somewhere nice. I can never get my eyes to look that good either, not with all the blending and eyeliner and stuff I think you're supposed to do. :colondollar: I also don't really get what I would do if I wear makeup every day - then if I go out somewhere special I'll look the same as I always do :s-smilie:

True but recently on here I've had loads of angry comments about wearing makeup and it's kinda annoyed me. I don't mind other people not wearing it but why care so much about what I wear? It's no different to you wearing a blue top and me wearing a red one, it's just what different people think looks nice.

And for going out, there's different styles but I've never understood that, I mean I like to look nice all the time (not saying no makeup doesnt look nice :tongue:) so going out/day, I don't really see why you'd want it to be different. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ive only come across this once or twice in person but on here, loads of people seem to hate makeup with a deep burning passion, guys and girls. Im genuinely curious about this, why would you hate it? Everyone looks better with well applied makeup. Even worse, you get the people who think they have some sort of moral high-ground for not wearing it. Erm no you don't, you just look like you cba to make an effort. So why do so many people hate it on here? I dont mind people not wearing it, I just don't see why people are so aggressively against it.

You're saying people that don't apply make-up have therefore not made an effort? Er, no. Perhaps they don't feel they need it ...
Reply 10
What can I say? That's how I like my girls. I'm not saying you have to approve of my preference. No shocks either when one day it's not worn and she looks like she's come down with severe flu.

Lol at the idea people can't be arsed to make an effort because they don't wear make-up.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
1) Its useless first off if you go clubbing. Its dark in a club and alcohol is nature's equivalent for making all women look pretty.

2) Its essentially marketing/propaganda/illegal selling. A woman with makeup on is not the woman you will be with if you decide to go out with her. Make up must add atleast +3/10 to looks, a disgraceful disproportionalising of the truth.
Reply 12
I don't like make up because it doesn't make girls look any better and simply by existing it perpetuates the idea that whatever you look like, you don't look good enough.
again it's not the wearing of the makeup that's the issue, it's how much. it's ridiculous how many women these days say "I can't bear to see myself without makeup!" ... that's a problem, you know?
Original post by sarahthegemini
You're saying people that don't apply make-up have therefore not made an effort? Er, no. Perhaps they don't feel they need it ...

Maybe, I just find that in a lot of cases people that don't just don't bother with anything. It's not everyone though, should have made it clear sorry. :redface:

Original post by TheDubs
1) Its useless first off if you go clubbing. Its dark in a club and alcohol is nature's equivalent for making all women look pretty.

2) Its essentially marketing/propaganda/illegal selling. A woman with makeup on is not the woman you will be with if you decide to go out with her. Make up must add atleast +3/10 to looks, a disgraceful disproportionalising of the truth.

1) Maybe they want to wear it because THEY like it?

2) Like different hairstyles, types of facial hair, piercings etc? Men do things to their appearance too. And no one looks shockingly different without makeup, it doesn't drastically change your face.
Reply 15
I posted on another thread that I wear make-up everyday because I have red scarring after acne, which I like to cover with foundation and powder.

This provoked a few negative reps - I don't understand why. I like to wear make-up, you don't. I don't tell you to wear it so I don't expect to be told not to wear it. Yes I'm insecure, I don't need to be told :rolleyes:
I don't think anyone hates make-up. It is a massive shame how women are pressured into wearing it though.

If a man walks out of the house without make-up he's handsome. If a woman walks out of her house without make-up, she looks "rough".
I usually wear makeup. But several times in my life I've felt confident to not wear it, and gone out without any make-up on, and my friends say "you look really tired today" or "you look ill" or men have shouted "ROUGH" from their car windows as they drive past. At my university, they actively encourage women to wear makeup for job interviews, as if your face has a bearing on how well you can do your job.

It's very very sad, the whole thing is very shallow and I think the world would be a better place without it. But we're used to it now, and anything less looks ugly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Fat-Love

Lol at the idea people can't be arsed to make an effort because they don't wear make-up.

That's how I see it with most people. It often (not always) looks quite plain and like she isn't bothered.
Original post by screenager2004
I don't think anyone hates make-up. It is a massive shame how women are pressured into wearing it though.

If a man walks out of the house without make-up he's handsome. If a woman walks out of her house without make-up, she looks "rough".
I usually wear makeup. But several times in my life I've felt confident to not wear it, and gone out without any make-up on, and my friends say "you look really tired today" or "you look ill" or men have shouted "ROUGH" from their car windows as they drive past.

It's very very sad, and I think the world would be a better place without it. But we're used to it now, and anything less looks ugly.

:eek: That's pretty bad. I agree that people shouldn't be made to feel ugly without it, but I do think it shows making an effort which is good, in men and women. But yeah people shouldn't be made to feel hideous.
Reply 19
I don't give a **** what people do with their faces or how much make-up they wear. It's none of my business and I'm in no place to judge anyone. I do what is right for me, and that's that :smile: Wish more people felt the same!

Quick Reply

Latest