The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by + polarity -
Would you be willing to get a used phone, on eBay perhaps? Or do you only want new?

I'm willing to use ebay so long as the seller has a high feedback rating etc. and I wouldn't mind a phone in a like-new condition (will read the description of the selling page to judge). Ideally brand new in store would be good, but am willing to compromise if there is a good deal to be found.
Original post by purplefrog
Hi,

may anybody help me find an android phone please?

I need to to have the following features (essential):
- touch screen, good response
- relatively good screen
- average or better battery life
- good speed (RAM/processor)
- speaker phone
- unlocked / easily unlockable (want to use my giffgaff sim)

the following features would be nice, but not essential at all:
- good camera

my budget is at max, £130.

I will be using the phone to access my gmail, google maps, google calendar, facebook and the odd (light) internet browsing. No heavy duty games or videos etc.

Any recommendations as to makes and models?
please quote when replying to me :smile:

I vote the Orange Monte Carlo

http://shop.orange.co.uk/mobile-phones/orange-monte-carlo

I'm quite apprehensive about getting an Orange ZTE phone - my last phone was the Orange San Francisco which came with so many problems! Are there any other alternatives?

I was thinking of a Samsung Galaxy Ace, any ideas on that?
I'm quite apprehensive about getting an Orange ZTE phone - my last phone was the Orange San Francisco which came with so many problems! Are there any other alternatives?

Hmm what problems did you find with the San Fran? I love my San Fran and no major problems (if we exclude problems which I caused myself...) and I'm sure many of us on this thread would agree the San Fran = :yy:
Hi,

may anybody help me find an android phone please?

I need to to have the following features (essential):
- touch screen, good response
- relatively good screen
- average or better battery life
- good speed (RAM/processor)
- speaker phone
- unlocked / easily unlockable (want to use my giffgaff sim)

the following features would be nice, but not essential at all:
- good camera

my budget is at max, £130.

I will be using the phone to access my gmail, google maps, google calendar, facebook and the odd (light) internet browsing. No heavy duty games or videos etc.

Any recommendations as to makes and models?
please quote when replying to me :smile:

This.

Brilliant deal.
Original post by F_shakeey
This.

Brilliant deal.

I was thinking of that one actually :smile: Do know if its easy to unlock?
I was thinking of that one actually :smile: Do know if its easy to unlock?

In my area I could get it done quite cheap. There are loads of unlocking places around E.London :smile:

I had the San Fran also and I thought it was great once i'd removed all the bloated orange software and got it running a custom rom, but it's personal opinion!

Yeah the Galaxy Ace is a great alternative but bear in mind it's £130 + £15 top up + around £10 unlocking.
I paid £130 for my Hero :nopity:
I paid £130 for my Hero :nopity:

When was that? You can get them for £50 - 70 on ebay in good condition.
Original post by biffyclyro27

When was that? You can get them for £50 - 70 on ebay in good condition.

About 15 months ago. So that's how much mine would go for now? :cry2:
Reply 6271
Guys is htc wildfire s any good ? Just got an offer from my mobile provider.

It probably won't depreciate anymore :smile:

The Nokia 5800 has been selling for around £60 for like 2 years now, the HTC HD2 can be found for £100 if your lucky and I just bought an xperia play for £150 brand new!
Reply 6273
Edit :

Just saw a YouTube vid on it and I'll think I'll pass on the offer unless offered something better.

ah OK, fair enough. Well that's what a lot of them go for, but I have seen buy it now prices of £100 ish. Just check the completed listings and you can see what they go for.

I'm aiming to get £80 - 90 when I upgrade in December
Original post by Guvnor
Guys is htc wildfire s any good ? Just got an offer from my mobile provider.

I wouldn't take it :wink2:

Original post by Like_A_G6
It probably won't depreciate anymore :smile:

The Nokia 5800 has been selling for around £60 for like 2 years now, the HTC HD2 can be found for £100 if your lucky and I just bought an xperia play for £150 brand new!

Good news :biggrin:

ah OK, fair enough. Well that's what a lot of them go for, but I have seen buy it now prices of £100 ish. Just check the completed listings and you can see what they go for.

I'm aiming to get £80 - 90 when I upgrade in December

Yeah that's the kind of figure I wanted to sell my phone for. I intend to get a Desire S next, when it comes down to about £150... but my phone is working great now and I feel no urge to upgrade any time soon :tongue:
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Hmm what problems did you find with the San Fran? I love my San Fran and no major problems (if we exclude problems which I caused myself...) and I'm sure many of us on this thread would agree the San Fran = :yy:

Guess I was just unlucky with the OSF. I unlocked it (didn't root it) so obviously couldn't take it back to orange for the issues I had. The touch screen wasn't very responsive and the phone randomly shut down or froze every so often. I only installed 4 applications on it (BBC news, a London Underground status updater, facebook and a to-do list app) and they didn't really guzzle the battery life or CPU at all. Guess I might have just had a faulty one.

Original post by Hello oh
I had the San Fran also and I thought it was great once i'd removed all the bloated orange software and got it running a custom rom, but it's personal opinion!

Yeah the Galaxy Ace is a great alternative but bear in mind it's £130 + £15 top up + around £10 unlocking.

Hmm, yeah everybody speaks positively about the OSF and the Monte Carlo. I'm slightly leaning towards it now, however I can't seem to find any place which definitely confirms that the OMC can be unlocked and rooted. I'm on giff gaff and don't want to switch to another network - so if there is an unlocking fee, it will apply to almost every phone I buy.
Reply 6277
Sensation XE. Such a beautiful phone.
Guess I was just unlucky with the OSF. I unlocked it (didn't root it) so obviously couldn't take it back to orange for the issues I had.

Unlocking doesn't void the warranty, and is generally encouraged on PAYG phones by Ofcom. You should still be able to get help.

An OSF I purchased wasn't even locked to orange... I thought this was strange...
Original post by G8D
K so got my dad to buy a San Fran and he's already complaining about all the "Orange ****e" on it so I'm gonna root/install custom ROM before he gets accustomed to anything.

I presume you're knowledgeable on this :beard:

Is there a worthwhile 2.3 ROM available? I'm lost in this whole TFT/LCD Gen1/Gen2 stuff. I know this one is Gen1 but the 2.3 ROMs I see all say Gen2... I'm really quite confused by the distinction and whether it's a bad thing to "convert to Gen2".
If you don't think 2.3 is worth it... what's the best 2.2 ROM in your opinion?

Sorry for noob questions. I usually quite good at this.

Ginger Stir Fry is proving to be pretty competent if you're looking at a fairly solid Beta Gingerbread ROM, or the FroYo stalwart - Swedish Spring.

Converting from GEN1 radio firmware to GEN2 doesn't provide any tangible benefits - specific ROMs are just written for specific radio firmware, so the two are not cross-compatible. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending