The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Current UCL students' chat thread!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1740
Original post by Lizia
Changing my place wouldn't help. I'm going to fail because I can't understand the lectures, reading the books takes me about an hour to read five pages, and all the exams are oral so there's the language barrier to overcome on top of the actually learning stuff.

The social life is great, I love the city, but I ****ing hate uni and I just want to cry every time I think about going to lectures.

:hug:

Aren't there language classes for foreigners with a focus on academic aspects? I know there are some at UCL.
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 1741
Original post by Ivanka
:hug:

Aren't there language classes for foreigners with a focus on academic aspects? I know there are some at UCL.

Thanks :smile: No, they don't seem to exist. There's a generic language course, but that's the same grammar stuff we did at uni in England so it's fairly useless. I just find it so depressing, even when I understand every word on the page (after looking 90% of them up in the dictionary), I don't understand the concept they're trying to get across.

I guess I just need to man up, but I'm so worried about this. Especially since the pass mark here is 18/30 and SELCS give no information on what happens if you do fail.
Original post by Lizia
and SELCS give no information on what happens if you do fail.

This, a thousand times this.
Original post by kerily
I'm having exactly the same existential struggle with exactly the same analysis sheet :teehee:

Are you a maths person too? :holmes:

Well ,take a guess :tongue:

maths person ofcourse :sexface:
Reply 1744
Original post by rockrunride
This, a thousand times this.

Do you know anyone who did fail? I emailed Novella in a panic the other day to ask, but I just know she'll reply with something horrible.

It's so dumb. I'm not awful at Italian, and everyone else must cope somehow. I'm just sick of spending every moment worried sick. At least if she mailed back and said "You can't progress to fourth year", I'd know where I stood.

I wish I'd done a language assistantship now. I was worried about being stuck in the middle of nowhere Italy, but that's preferable to how I feel now.
Reply 1745
Original post by Ultimate1
Well ,take a guess :tongue:

maths person ofcourse :sexface:

A disproportionate amount of UCL maths people appear to be pretty active on TSR. Says something about the course, possibly :tongue:

I need to know who you are now :pierre: Except, you know, 200 people per lecture, I doubt it's that easy :tongue:
Original post by kerily
A disproportionate amount of UCL maths people appear to be pretty active on TSR. Says something about the course, possibly :tongue:

I need to know who you are now :pierre: Except, you know, 200 people per lecture, I doubt it's that easy :tongue:

Lol I'm in the lecture right now.

But wait you're very eager meet me, I need to be careful you might be a dangerous person :hmmm: :tongue:

maths rocks pre uni. During uni it's a living nightmare ( well the maths ain't but the worksheets are :zomg:)
So, Applied Problem Class, Algebra Problem Class and the entirety of Mathematical Methods; anything else I can skip and/or fall asleep during?

But wait you're very eager meet me, I need to be careful you might be a dangerous person :hmmm: :tongue:

No need to worry about it. Kerily IS a dangerous person.
Original post by TheAngryMongoose
So, Applied Problem Class, Algebra Problem Class and the entirety of Mathematical Methods; anything else I can skip and/or fall asleep during?

Wow Algebra really isn't that boring, especially with Johnson dissin' half the class :tongue:

TheAngryMongoose

kerily
x

Cheyzzz Kerily, what is your response to that alegation.
how easy is the practice center in giving medical certificate in order to delay a deadline?
thanks.
Reply 1750
Lol I'm in the lecture right now.

maths rocks pre uni. During uni it's a living nightmare ( well the maths ain't but the worksheets are :zomg:)

You were on TSR in the lecture? :teehee: Is Wendl not an interesting enough lecturer for you? :emo:

The worksheets aren't bad per se, just time-consuming - but then I did STEP, and it was honestly a really good preparation for the sort of maths we're seeing :tongue:

Original post by TheAngryMongoose

I can assure you that that's all lies :colone: Although I do seem to lead quite a strange life at the moment, but that's not dangerous so much as interesting :tongue:
Original post by kerily
You were on TSR in the lecture? :teehee: Is Wendl not an interesting enough lecturer for you? :emo:

The worksheets aren't bad per se, just time-consuming - but then I did STEP, and it was honestly a really good preparation for the sort of maths we're seeing :tongue:

I can assure you that that's all lies :colone: Although I do seem to lead quite a strange life at the moment, but that's not dangerous so much as interesting :tongue:

Wendl is a very funny lecturer tbh. He's got this subtle sense of humour which I personally find very entertaining. I was on during the 5 min lecture break :wink:

yep same here. The worksheets ain't that bad but they are so time consuming. I at least want a little bit of life :frown:

an interesting and strange life eh? :sexface:
Reply 1752
Oh my dear sweet Lord I have absolutely zero motivation. I'm procrastinating a coursework project that was due in at 13:30 yesterday.

I just want my degree, why can't I just have my degree now :emo:
Original post by paddy
Oh my dear sweet Lord I have absolutely zero motivation. I'm procrastinating a coursework project that was due in at 13:30 yesterday.

I just want my degree, why can't I just have my degree now :emo:

Can't you just take the 3 year degree if you don't want to do the masters(of course if you really, really, really don't wanna do your masters :tongue:)

EDIT: Oh wait only just read you were one year work placement, not 4 years masters :tongue: ooops.
Standard. I'm hitting a mid-term crisis though I only have 8 hours a week and I plan to use reading week almost entirely to work.
Reply 1755
Original post by Valh
Are halls going to be like a ghost town during reading week or do most people stay in London for it?

I'm going to Berlin, and pretty much everyone else I've spoken to is going home, if that's any use. (My halls are a ghost town anyway :awesome:)
Sooooo happy for reading week coming up :awesome:
Reply 1757
I've got 2 essays to do for the end of this month. Urgh.

If you had a 2500 word essay, how long do you think you'd spend on it, including reading for it, excluding procrastination?
Original post by destination unknown
how easy is the practice center in giving medical certificate in order to delay a deadline?
thanks.

anyone?
Wasn't feeling it until this week but I'm genuinely looking forward to a trip home on the 10th. I miss the countryside and my dogs :emo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending