The Student Room Group

Travelling around the world?

Ive always wanted to do one of those travel round the world packages. Has anyone else thought of doing this? Or has anyone even done this?

I would love to do it but not sure where I would find the money from!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
take me with u
Reply 2
get a job, dont go out to the pub for a year, be antisocial and skint, then go travel round the world. Its even more awesome with a friend.
Reply 3
i took a gap year, worked 10 hours/day for pretty much 7 days a week from june-december then headed off on christmas eve. Do it.
So many people do not do this. I advise you do it, it's one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. Don't worry, work and university won't be going anywhere.

I advise you work fulltime say for 6 months minimum and then go backpacking! Backpacking around the world is so much fun trust me.
Reply 5
Original post by Wishing

Original post by Wishing
Ive always wanted to do one of those travel round the world packages. Has anyone else thought of doing this? Or has anyone even done this?

Hey, I know Travel In A Group are advertising for university reps at the mo and you get a free tour of Thailand - might be worth checking it out. When i travelled i always got working visa'a and worked my way around you tend to meet more people that way as well - locals anyway :smile:
I've done it. I worked like mad for two years to be able to afford it.
Reply 7
I am going to do it when I find me a job and collect enough money to buy me a sailboat and take it easy till I am able to sail around the world!

My life dream!
Reply 8
Seems like working full time for a while is the way to do it! Did you all go alone? I think I will struggle to convince my friends to come with me. :tongue:
Reply 9
As weird and scary as it seems at first, traveling alone really is the way to go! With friends, you're much more likely to just stick with them, whereas go alone and it's so much easier to meet others from all over the world! Also means you can do whatever you want, whenever you want.
Original post by Wishing

Don't get the packages, they are always very expensive and have hiden costs. E.g. it says it stops at krugar park, vic falls, bungee jump, well you'll probably have to pay the entry fees if you want to do those things

Plus, it takes the fun out of doing it yourself. The build up to traveling is so good, buying a map, marking out destinations you want to see and possible routes (that you never stick to cause travelings all about winging it...you don't want a rigid schedule/route to stick to that you'll have by booking with a package deal company).

Just get a job, I found that bar work/restuarants are useful for two things, stop you spending money at the weekend, plus gives you experience that is useful if you are planing on getting work while traveling, bars/resturants are sometimes the best places to look.

Original post by raach-jazz
i took a gap year, worked 10 hours/day for pretty much 7 days a week from june-december then headed off on christmas eve. Do it.

Why Christmas eve? I've been away for christmas and its fine yeah, but I don't think I'd like to travel on christmas. Where did you go?
Why Christmas eve? I've been away for christmas and its fine yeah, but I don't think I'd like to travel on christmas. Where did you go?

I always wanted to spend christmas in new york, so went and did it
Original post by Wishing

ive travelled the world but not on a package

organise it yourself. just get out there and wing it

you'll love it
I always wanted to spend christmas in new york, so went and did it

Nice! :smile:
But wait, did you travel alone? What did you do there during Christmas? Sorry, I'm so curious. :colondollar:
Original post by shutthedoor
Nice! :smile:
But wait, did you travel alone? What did you do there during Christmas? Sorry, I'm so curious. :colondollar:

haha, no i travelled with my sister (who had went travelling by herself 2 years before). emm i had dinner in planet holywood and stood in line for HOURS at rockefeller center to go ice skating, was totally worth it though!- when we were just about to get off the ice a guy proposed to his girlfriend in the middle of the rink, christmas music was playing and there were hundreds of people gathered round clapping, it was so lovely! i'm sure i went to times square on christmas day too, it was so packed, people were still running around buying presents!!
Reply 15
Defo do it as Ive said Im gonna do this and do that all my life, Im 44 now and where has the time gone and still not done it. I always wanted to just jump in my car and drive across Europe but bills and a family now stop this so there you go you have been warned.

DO IT BEFORE ITS TOO LATE I TELL ALL THE YOUNGER GENERATION THAT GET IN MY TAXI TO JUST DO IT.

Also if anyone wants a taxi to take them across europe ask me hehehehe

Poor timing.
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
Poor timing.

hm no, was the greatest possible timing for me
hm no, was the greatest possible timing for me

My calculations:

Christmas Eve = 24th December

Christmas Day = 25th December

Presents also = 25th December

Poor timing on the presents front.

Edit: I could type 'I love everything' and receive neg rep. Take a joke.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
My calculations:

Christmas Eve = 24th December

Christmas Day = 25th December

Presents also = 25th December

Poor timing on the presents front.

ha christmas is all about family not presents. we had a big pre-christmas day family gathering on dec 23 before I left, it was lovely

Quick Reply

Latest