The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Penguinsaysquack
:hand:

You seem to have misspelt Barts and the London :tongue:

But :five: for early patient contact :awesome:

Good to see you again btw! Hope it's treating you well.. make sure you post in the TSR medics society thread sometime alright? And join the group if you haven't already :yy:

Nice to speak to you again as well :biggrin: Been so busy learning anatomy and histology of the respiratory tract!

I'll post don't worry :smile: :wink: How's it going for you?
Original post by Yellowmonkeyman
Nice to speak to you again as well :biggrin: Been so busy learning anatomy and histology of the respiratory tract!

I'll post don't worry :smile: :wink: How's it going for you?

Oh so you're systems based from the very start?
How's it all going?

Going alright so far, workloads intensified a bit prior to the exam in 4 weeks, but it's manageable. Currently having fun doing my PBL on allergies this week :redface:

Can't remember.. are you at Hull or York campus this year?
Reply 4542
Original post by rozca
hmmm.. anyone know what the stats are for re-applicants getting in? :-) Heard its something like 65% of all medical applicants get 4 rejections (I'd assumed this was for the standard year 13 applicants.. Is this wrong?)

Well wherever that statistic came from, it'll be overall for medicine applications, whether the applicant is 18 or 58 and whether this is the first or seventeenth time they have applied. I'm not sure if that statistic is correct, but it wouldn't suprise me. I know it is true that it is most likely that you will get no offers, than any other possibility.

I haven't seen any stats about reapplicants, but I think it is true that reapplicants have a better chance - not because of statistics, but because we make better applicants. We have determination and drive, and an extra year of experince when compared with 18 year old first time applicants - and the fact we have grades in hand. So in terms of statistics, I don't know, but logically, we have a better chance :smile:
is there not a stat somewhere that 40% of people get in first time but 80% get in second time? im sure ive read that somewhere
Original post by atomos
is there not a stat somewhere that 40% of people get in first time but 80% get in second time? im sure Ive read that somewhere

I've heard that you're more likely to get accepted second time round, simply because you have the grades already -Less risk for uni to take you on.
Original post by Doctor.
I've heard that you're more likely to get accepted second time round, simply because you have the grades already -Less risk for uni to take you on.

Uni's don't care about the 'risk' generally speaking. Every year they give out more offers than places because a) not everyone puts them as firm and b) people fail to get the grades, the universities contemplate for people failing by handing out more offers :redface:

Reapplicants do tend to do better than first-timers, but this is more down to them having more experience and knowledge about what they are doing and medicine in general :yy:
Original post by Doctor.

although that doesn't really make a difference for us scottish applicants, we already have the required grades when we apply :redface:
Reply 4547
Original post by atomos
although that doesn't really make a difference for us scottish applicants, we already have the required grades when we apply :redface:

but you'd have to have a pretty spotless application to not get AH conditions.
Reply 4548
So CNN just came to the project I'm working at to get footage of the lads playing football!! They'll probably cut me out though... :frown:
Original post by kingme
but you'd have to have a pretty spotless application to not get AH conditions.

i don't actually know of anyone to have had ah conditions.
afaik glasgow is the only place that does that? and in which case they set (fairly) low conditions, ie bbc/bcc
Reply 4550
Original post by atomos
afaik glasgow is the only place that does that? and in which case they set (fairly) low conditions, ie bbc/bcc

didn't really think about that tbh :colondollar: but if you're doing chemistry/biology higher then you need that.
Original post by atomos

Original post by kingme
didn't really think about that tbh :colondollar: but if you're doing chemistry/biology higher then you need that.

Yeah Glasgow has a blanket condition of BBC/BCC for all successful applicants who have AAAAB> at Higher. The others mostly give unconditionals unless you haven't met the Higher requirements fully, there are people in my year who had to get AAB in their AHs but they had as low as AABBB in their Highers.
Reply 4552
Is anybody else not bored having to do nothing interesting at home? :frown: I feel more miserable about myself everyday.
Reply 4553
Original post by Shaz51
Is anybody else not bored having to do nothing interesting at home? :frown: I feel more miserable about myself everyday.

Noo, don't let yourself get like that! Trust me, I think I got a bit too depressed about the whole gap year=no friends + nothing to do + waiting around stressing about uni/work

Its baaaaadddd, you need to think positively, and keep yourself busy - go and visit your friends wherever they are, use the chance to visit family on the other side of the country (you know the ones you've been meaning to go and see for aaaaages) take up a hobby, and make sure to look to the near future. I really struggled with looking forwards to the summer, when everyone is home, or next year when I'll hopefully be leaving as well, so go more short term. Look forward to the weekend, when you are going shoppingor something. It sounds really uncool, but I've started this project painting these three flowerpots, and I'm going to plant things in them once they're done. It sounds ridiculous, but just having a little project like that really helps. Also, make sure you get out of the house at least once a day - even if you just walk down to the corner shop. For me, it was getting to the point where I didn't leave the house because I didn't see the point when I was only going for the sake of it, but it is important.
Reply 4554
Original post by twelve
Noo, don't let yourself get like that! Trust me, I think I got a bit too depressed about the whole gap year=no friends + nothing to do + waiting around stressing about uni/work

Its baaaaadddd, you need to think positively, and keep yourself busy - go and visit your friends wherever they are, use the chance to visit family on the other side of the country (you know the ones you've been meaning to go and see for aaaaages) take up a hobby, and make sure to look to the near future. I really struggled with looking forwards to the summer, when everyone is home, or next year when I'll hopefully be leaving as well, so go more short term. Look forward to the weekend, when you are going shoppingor something. It sounds really uncool, but I've started this project painting these three flowerpots, and I'm going to plant things in them once they're done. It sounds ridiculous, but just having a little project like that really helps. Also, make sure you get out of the house at least once a day - even if you just walk down to the corner shop. For me, it was getting to the point where I didn't leave the house because I didn't see the point when I was only going for the sake of it, but it is important.

You give good advice-having a focus is important no matter how small it is. I felt sad,mad ,frustrated and cheated watching my friends go to uni when I felt I'd worked just as hard as them to try to get into Med school.As my mum says 'life's not fair' so as soon as you get to grips with that and play the cards you have got to the best of your ability and re-play them if necessary,then life will work itself out.
Original post by oldbatty
You give good advice-having a focus is important no matter how small it is. I felt sad,mad ,frustrated and cheated watching my friends go to uni when I felt I'd worked just as hard as them to try to get into Med school.As my mum says 'life's not fair' so as soon as you get to grips with that and play the cards you have got to the best of your ability and re-play them if necessary,then life will work itself out.

I am also getting a little stressed out now :/. I feel like there is nothing to do :frown:. Although I am working my arse off for these January resits. It's like still getting boring :/
Original post by oldbatty

Original post by Doctor.
I am also getting a little stressed out now :/. I feel like there is nothing to do :frown:. Although I am working my arse off for these January resits. It's like still getting boring :/

Original post by twelve

It'l all be worth it in the end guys, in ten years time you'll be dead glad you took a gap year, I know I will.

At the start It was terrible, missed my friends etc etc.
But since then i've had a class time.
Nothing I have to do, except work of course.
But No assignments, nothing.

I'm having a good time and making lots of new friends. It's gonna get better and better.
Reply 4557
Original post by joemullally
It'l all be worth it in the end guys, in ten years time you'll be dead glad you took a gap year, I know I will.

At the start It was terrible, missed my friends etc etc.
But since then i've had a class time.
Nothing I have to do, except work of course.
But No assignments, nothing.

I'm having a good time and making lots of new friends. It's gonna get better and better.

I just wish I knew of a way to make new friends! There are people I've met this week, on my training course for work, but I'm unlikely to see any of them again. Its all well and good being friendly with people who you will see every week at X club or when you're doing Y course, but how do you go from that to saying 'hey wanna go out sometime?'
Reply 4558
Original post by twelve
I just wish I knew of a way to make new friends! There are people I've met this week, on my training course for work, but I'm unlikely to see any of them again. Its all well and good being friendly with people who you will see every week at X club or when you're doing Y course, but how do you go from that to saying 'hey wanna go out sometime?'

this has made me feel more sane! im feeling the exact same as all of you.. like sometimes my only outing (apart from work) is to drive myself to tescos and buy some ben&jerrys so i can go home and watch telly and be depressing :L i hate tv. iv never watched tv really.. ever since being a little child i prefered the outdoors and being muddy.. grazed knees.. all that, and im a girl! Iv got fed up going out in town.. to the 1 club in my town which is now filled with 15/16 year olds or like 50yr old men.. its not fun anymore. i was in such a rush to get driving, i passed over a year ago now :/ (to those of you who dont drive - something you could do in the gap year?) Im going to ghana for 2 months inthe summer, and france for a month.. but its not now and daily life is dull and boring :frown: i cant visit my friends cause its too expensive and im saving for my travels.. iv already done duke of edinburgh. LIFES SO DULLLLLL. do all you other gappers have any ideas? im currently going to the gym twice a week, and just starting taking self defense classes - its really fun and useful for when im in africa etc. Maybe some of you could get ideas from this?

Hopefully itll all be worth it for us, and hopefully wel get into medschool this year!

Edit: oh are any of you worried about your brain dying from the lack of studying/school/exams etc? Like im scared next sept ill go to medschool or to uni to do maths/chemistry whatever it is i eventually end up doing and find it difficult compared to the people whove just come out of school and are used to studying! Please tell me im being silly?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4559
Original post by rozca
this has made me feel more sane! im feeling the exact same as all of you.. like sometimes my only outing (apart from work) is to drive myself to tescos and buy some ben&jerrys so i can go home and watch telly and be depressing :L i hate tv. iv never watched tv really.. ever since being a little child i prefered the outdoors and being muddy.. grazed knees.. all that, and im a girl! Iv got fed up going out in town.. to the 1 club in my town which is now filled with 15/16 year olds or like 50yr old men.. its not fun anymore. i was in such a rush to get driving, i passed over a year ago now :/ (to those of you who dont drive - something you could do in the gap year?) Im going to ghana for 2 months inthe summer, and france for a month.. but its not now and daily life is dull and boring :frown: i cant visit my friends cause its too expensive and im saving for my travels.. iv already done duke of edinburgh. LIFES SO DULLLLLL. do all you other gappers have any ideas? im currently going to the gym twice a week, and just starting taking self defense classes - its really fun and useful for when im in africa etc. Maybe some of you could get ideas from this?

Hopefully itll all be worth it for us, and hopefully wel get into medschool this year!

I know its a bit of an old man thing to do, but if you like the outdoors, have you considered doing some gardening? I'm sure you're parents will appreciate you sweeping up all the leaves at the moment :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending