The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mug51
won't your store close earlier on new years eve and open later than usual on new years day, that'll give you some time to hit the town.

wooo i don't need to work the eve's as i don't do saturdays no more. although saying that i'll probably get drafted in to do a night shift on the 23rd to get Jan sale out ready for christmas eve like last year.

Original post by Gavin-D
Our Darlington store closes at 7pm on New Years Eve and re-opens at 9am on New Years Day, but i doubt you will be in till 11pm.

yeah didnt think of that, thats a lil bonus i guess but will still have to get up early :frown:
Reply 9881
Original post by Debbie2709
I work on checkouts and I don't think they care if you void a lot. I think they keep a record of it, as well as your IPM, idle time and the amount of nectar cards you scan (and probably some other stuff too), but I void loads of stuff and nothing has ever been said to me about it.

Checkouts are ok, really boring though. You know you've been on them too long when you automatically think of the PLU code when you see some fruit/vegetables though :rolleyes:.

Bananas 2332... and I'm normally on clothing :L
Reply 9882
How long was it until everyone heard back? It'll be two weeks tomorrow.. don't know if applying for a permanent position affects the waiting time...
Original post by wren94
Bananas 2332... and I'm normally on clothing :L

2332? Bananas are 4011...in my experience, anyway. :s-smilie:
Reply 9884
Original post by Liam6993

Some things have more than one code :tongue:
Hi, I've got two induction days at Sainsbury's tomorrow. I've read the general outline of the day in this thread already, but could anyone be as kind as to give me a general structure of the days and the stuff I'll be doing?

Also, the role I applied for was a Temporary role, and I just assumed that it was an Xmas temp as it was so close to December. But when I went for the interview, the interviewer told me that I'd be made permanent after a 12-week probation thing and that she was simply replacing a guy who was leaving with a new member of staff and doing it as a one-in, one-out kind of thing. I'd prefer that because I really want permanent work, but why would it be advertised as a temporary role if she wanted someone to replace a permanent member of staff? Thanks!
Original post by StraightEdge
Hi, I've got two induction days at Sainsbury's tomorrow. I've read the general outline of the day in this thread already, but could anyone be as kind as to give me a general structure of the days and the stuff I'll be doing?

Also, the role I applied for was a Temporary role, and I just assumed that it was an Xmas temp as it was so close to December. But when I went for the interview, the interviewer told me that I'd be made permanent after a 12-week probation thing and that she was simply replacing a guy who was leaving with a new member of staff and doing it as a one-in, one-out kind of thing. I'd prefer that because I really want permanent work, but why would it be advertised as a temporary role if she wanted someone to replace a permanent member of staff? Thanks!

My induction's Thursday. I got told the same 12-week thing. Think everyone does. I figured it was kind of insurance in case I was not a fit. Much, much easier to get rid of a temp than a permanent member of staff. You have to give a reason and everything. But I'm guessing if you make it through the twelve weeks they'll ask you to sign a perm. contract.

Also, is it weird that I only seem to have a one-day induction? I'm hearing a lot about two-day inductions, but I guess I am at a smaller convenience branch.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Christien
My induction's Thursday. I got told the same 12-week thing. Think everyone does. I figured it was kind of insurance in case I was not a fit. Much, much easier to get rid of a temp than a permanent member of staff. You have to give a reason and everything. But I'm guessing if you make it through the twelve weeks they'll ask you to sign a perm. contract.

Also, is it weird that I only seem to have a one-day induction? I'm hearing a lot about two-day inductions, but I guess I am at a smaller convenience branch.

Thanks!

And it's probably because you're at a smaller branch, I'm at the main store of my area so I guess two days would be normal.
Reply 9888
is there anyone out here who got a permanent contract recently? How would you get informed that you are permanent? And around what time would they tell you during your probation period?

And how hard is it to pass the probation period on check-outs? Thanks
Reply 9889
Original post by wren94

Original post by wren94
I had a 4 week review and then my 11 week review. My contract said temporary, but I'm now permanent :smile:

how hard is it to pass probation?
Reply 9890
We've got a royal visit this week! The head of convenience is visiting our store, along with our new area manager. And about a week and a half ago, we had Justin King jogging by and he came in and dropped a few comments too!
Whats the longest anyone has had to wait to find out if they have been successful or not?
Been over a week since my interview and still not heard anything and can't phone recruitment until tuesday. So much for the induction being on monday just passed. :frown:
Original post by Liam6993

Original post by FXX
Some things have more than one code :tongue:

I use 2332, I like it more. :biggrin:
Some of the longest numbers I know are 5012287010011 for Fane Valley butter (the barcode doesn't always scan) and 1131086 for turnips. I used to know the code for some Glen of Antrim potatoes too, but I've forgotten it because I haven't used it in a while...:biggrin:
I know the first 8 numbers of the staff discount card as well. :rolleyes:
Reply 9893
Original post by Gavin-D

Original post by Gavin-D
Providing you turn up on time every shift, do what is expected of you, work over time now and then you should be fine, they use the 12 weeks to ensure you are right for the job.

The hardest thing is if you are only on a temp contract to December 31st as you have less time to impress and most likely a temp contract will be exactly that yes stores do keep some and give them permanent contracts but that is only if there is staff required for the area you work on.

Our Darlington store is getting an £18 million pound refit next year (From January 6 months to complete) and 120 permanent staff will be taken on so those on temp contracts at stores set for a refit may have a good chance of being kept on.

well my contract finishes about 3weeks before xmas. And everyone at my store like team leader and the person that did my review said its temp as its a probation. Plus how will i be notified that am permanent? WIll it be a letter home or just a word from your mangaer/team leader? Plus, around that time will be the busiest, do you think they will bother with my 11 week review bcuz someone said to me as long your not a bad worker, they might jiust keep you on and after the busiest times get by, they will get your permanent contract to you and etc...
Original post by Debbie2709
I use 2332, I like it more. :biggrin:
Some of the longest numbers I know are 5012287010011 for Fane Valley butter (the barcode doesn't always scan) and 1131086 for turnips. I used to know the code for some Glen of Antrim potatoes too, but I've forgotten it because I haven't used it in a while...:biggrin:
I know the first 8 numbers of the staff discount card as well. :rolleyes:

9771355365465 - The Clitheroe Advertiser and Times (the local paper). The barcode never used to scan so I ended up having to type that number about 60 times every time I was working on a Thursday. :tongue:
Reply 9895
Original post by Gavin-D

Original post by Gavin-D
Either your department manager or HR will tell you whether their keeping you on or not. If no one see's you in the next two weeks then go and see your manager sit down with him/her and ask what the situation is with the contract will it be made permanent or not, with it getting busy now they could just simply not have time to see you.

Well no manager atm and getting new one this week as other one left. Also during my review, team leader told me your fine, as long as you dont do anything stupid you will be kept on. But now different people saying different things to me so im so confused. Hopefully i get kept on.
Can someone shed some insight as to why I seem to be experiencing some issues with the Sainsburys recruitment website? Basically on the main page there are always vacancies present. Now when I click on 'apply' it directs me to the whole job description which is fine, but it's the after part that I'm having trouble with. I click on 'apply now', and it then moves onto the sainburys online recruitment page. Now on this page it has a different search layout and almost always no vacancies seems to be displayed despite the fact that they are still available on the 'main' page.

Any ideas?
Reply 9897
Do any of you employees know if Sainsburys are doing a good deal on COD MW3?
Just had my two day induction, the staff trainer was great and it was dead chilled out.

I applied for 'General Assistant' and found out at my induction that I'm on General Merchandise...I don't really know anything about TV's and laptop's etc, will that be a problem or will I pick all that up with my training?
whats sainsburys like about giving short notice when needing a shift off? :\

i have an unexpected training day for uni (which i cant miss :\) on monday. Should i ring/go in tommorow or tell them when i have work on saturday, plus who do i tell?

thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending