The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 4660
Original post by esztereva
I see we're lacking LSE applicants advertising their rejections, so:
"Your application has been unsuccessful" - and this is what I received an hour ago.

Not entirely surprised, to be honest.

how come?
Reply 4661
i applied on 21/10 to lse, ucl, warwick, durham, exeter - have there been any IB offers for economics at these unis? thanks
Helllo everyone, I'm new to TSR and I'm an international student. I think I'll be applying for Economics and Finance at some universities because I love both subjects. Anyway, I have heard in some places that applying early to some unis may yield an offer but I'm wondering that if I apply around late November will my application just get pooled? In that case maybe I'll be better of applying close to the deadline as I have resit results coming out end of January. Any advice would be great.

Also, how can we inform unis about our resit exam results after we send off our applications?
Reply 4663
Original post by esztereva
I see we're lacking LSE applicants advertising their rejections, so:
"Your application has been unsuccessful" - and this is what I received an hour ago.

Not entirely surprised, to be honest.

Mind If I ask you your GCSE's, AS's and A2's ?

I think people should post rejections from top places as it helps others to get a good idea of their chances of being rejected/given and offer, it's not exactly shameful to be rejected from a top 5, even with good grades.

Tateco, that LSE reject with 11 A*'s, does he go to your school ? Is he an international applicant ?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4664
Original post by azure.skies
Helllo everyone, I'm new to TSR and I'm an international student. I think I'll be applying for Economics and Finance at some universities because I love both subjects. Anyway, I have heard in some places that applying early to some unis may yield an offer but I'm wondering that if I apply around late November will my application just get pooled? In that case maybe I'll be better of applying close to the deadline as I have resit results coming out end of January. Any advice would be great.

Also, how can we inform unis about our resit exam results after we send off our applications?

Applying early is good, but it will only yield an offer if your application is very strong. Applying late November is not a problem, I don't know what you mean by your application getting pooled ?
The deadline is 15th Jan, your resit results will come out after then, so don't wait for that, just apply ASAP.
I wouldn't inform Uni's about resits (nobody informs them) unless they actually ask you.
Reply 4665
Original post by MWM
Mind If I ask you your GCSE's, AS's and A2's ?

I think people should post rejections from top places as it helps others to get a good idea of their chances of being rejected/given and offer, it's not exactly shameful to be rejected from a top 5, even with good grades.

Tateco, that LSE reject with 11 A*'s, does he go to your school ? Is he an international applicant ?

From what I heard, LSE works in mysterious ways, even top candidates can easily be rejected. So not sure making others talk about their rejections will be very helpful.
ouch just got rejected by lse for maths and economics... thought it was easier to get in, but obviously not :frown:
Reply 4667
Original post by lordvulture
ouch just got rejected by lse for maths and economics... thought it was easier to get in, but obviously not :frown:

oh im sorry :frown: any idea why you got rejected? grades?
Original post by MWM
Applying early is good, but it will only yield an offer if your application is very strong. Applying late November is not a problem, I don't know what you mean by your application getting pooled ?
The deadline is 15th Jan, your resit results will come out after then, so don't wait for that, just apply ASAP.
I wouldn't inform Uni's about resits (nobody informs them) unless they actually ask you.

By pooled I mean it will be kept aside so that it can be reviewed with others after all applications arrive. That's what all big unis do I think.

Shouldn't we inform even if it changes an entire AS grade? I'm a bit worried as I have a B in one subject and I'm retaking now so it changes to an A. But I had some seriously mitigating circumstances so I'm hoping unis will take that into consideration. Anyway, if unis don't ask for those, maybe I won't inform. Thanks for the help :smile:

I'll give u +rep :smile:
Original post by Jsalgado

Original post by Jsalgado
i applied on 21/10 to lse, ucl, warwick, durham, exeter - have there been any IB offers for economics at these unis? thanks

Warwick have given out some offers (including IB), and looks like LSE have started rejecting people
I'm Hungarian, and therefore doing the Hungarian Matura (10+ subjects even in the final year, only having to do exams in 5, but getting grades throughout the year in all of them). I have the best possible grade in every subject (including the predicted ones).
The only problem I see is that I've never studied Economics as a subject, because Hungarian grammar schools don't offer it. (Therefore there is probably much more 'Economics' in the personal statement of A-level students, while half of mine was filled with public speaking, debating, mathematics and competitions I've taken part in.)

I can completely understand why LSE, who don't have an interview/additional test would reject me straight away when they have that many excellent A-level applicants.

And yes, it was for straight Economics. (I should have probably looked into the application statistics before applying. :colondollar:)

As someone has mentioned, it is possible that they work in a mysterious way, but if anyone has any other questions regarding what kind of applicant (me, apparently) LSE reject this year, I'm happy to answer. :smile: (But maybe an international student is not that relevant to you.)
Got an offer from Nottingham for Economics and Poltics :smile:
Original post by Nadine10
oh im sorry :frown: any idea why you got rejected? grades?

mm almost perfect grades, so maybe they just picked the candidates out of a hat, or because I didnt talk about maths in my ps - i had a brief paragraph on my maths olympiad achievements, but obviously they're not impressed by that :frown:
It feels like frontline war in here. Our comrades are getting shot by LSE. Scary stuff.

May block emails to my adress on Thursdays...
Original post by jdthemagicman
Got an offer from Nottingham for Economics and Poltics :smile:

I thought they weren't giving economics offers out until after jan 15th? Nevertheless, congratualuations!
Original post by 94george94
I thought they weren't giving economics offers out until after jan 15th? Nevertheless, congratualuations!

I think its administered by the politics department, because one of my friends got an offer a while back for this course aswell. from the sounds of it, the subjects done by the econ department, e.g. econ, phil and eco etc. are the ones that are waiting.
Reply 4676
Original post by lordvulture
mm almost perfect grades, so maybe they just picked the candidates out of a hat, or because I didnt talk about maths in my ps - i had a brief paragraph on my maths olympiad achievements, but obviously they're not impressed by that :frown:

hmm thats odd. so like were you targetted all A*s? maybe gcse?
Original post by Nadine10
hmm thats odd. so like were you targetted all A*s? maybe gcse?

nah full A*s (11) at GCSE, 5A* prediction at A2 (maths, further, physics, chem and economics), and averaging 98% at AS modules - I didn't mention that in UCAS, but my tutor mentioned it in reference.
Original post by WalkerPrince

Original post by WalkerPrince
It feels like frontline war in here. Our comrades are getting shot by LSE. Scary stuff.

May block emails to my adress on Thursdays...

haha good idea :P
anyone got rejected or accepted for straignt Econ from LSE yet?

Latest

Trending

Trending