The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by medbh4805
We get 9 weeks for summer :smug:

Haha... WHAT IS THIS

whhyyyy :cry: Iz it coz you're catholic?

And I get 8 weeks. Really must start making plans for summer :biggrin:DDDDDDDDD :party: :woo:

when are you 18?
Reply 3441
ooooh have ELATers been discussing at all?? :biggrin:
Original post by Brand New Eyes
Haha... WHAT IS THIS

And I get 8 weeks. Really must start making plans for summer :biggrin:DDDDDDDDD :party: :woo:

when are you 18?

I already am 18 :colonhash:

I'm (hopefully) going to be working this summer, need to save up because I want to do a CELTA/TESOL in the summer after 1st year....

all schools in NI get a long summer :smug: but in RoI they get 3 months!! :gasp:
Haha... WHAT IS THIS

when are you 18?

plans for summer already?! :lol:
Original post by punctuation

Oh, why is a Halloween a big deal? Traditional reasons or...?

traditional reasons maybe....it was celebrated by my grandparents so it's not an American importation like a lot of people say, here at least. Meh, we get about 20,000 tourists and there's a big carnaval with parades and fireworks and stuff so.... :dontknow:
(edited 12 years ago)
Are there no other LNATers out there? :eek:

by the way... talking to the other applicants pre-TSA, I felt like TSA was a really awkward acronym to say out loud. :tongue: I also came to the conclusion that 'ELAT' sounded very nice, and the PAT and HATers didn't say 'pat' or 'hat' :colonhash:

How do you say it out loud?
Pat and Hat both sound cute to me :tongue: and apparently people do say 'hat'? I heard it on a podcast from a history tutor.
Original post by Schlegel
How do you say it out loud?
Pat and Hat both sound cute to me :tongue: and apparently people do say 'hat'? I heard it on a podcast from a history tutor.

just 'tee-es-ay' I suppose. :dontknow:

Yeah they do :wink: except the applicants at my test centre were, I don't know, noobs so they just spelled it out :wink:

Something I found very amusing whilst talking to the other applicants was that they would say 'economics and management' or 'politics, philosophy and economics'. I would be very confused for about two seconds before, "oh, you mean E&M/PPE!"

:rolleyes:
Original post by _becca
Eeeeeeelat. It's because English is the best subject

:giggle:

All the ELATers I talked to were really nice, cool people. :cool:

:colondollar:
Reply 3448
Original post by Niki_girl
Yeah I completely missed the point of 1a especially, oh dear.....1a. + 1b. were only worth 20 marks though, so in theory we could have still scored around 55-60 and be considered for interview? *prays*

I reckon I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I got 0 for 1b)- I completely missed the point. But I still live in hope that my answers for the rest of them would score around 55/60 . The thing is, they mark so differently to A level examiners, so it's so hard to play the numbers game :frown:
Original post by medbh4805
I already am 18 :colonhash:

I'm (hopefully) going to be working this summer, need to save up because I want to do a CELTA/TESOL in the summer after 1st year....

all schools in NI get a long summer :smug: but in RoI they get 3 months!! :gasp:

Oh! :frown: I've gotta wait till June! ... or persuade my friend to lemme borrow hers, great how we look so alike... not.

haha What's that? ceeebs to GGL. Murm yeash I should probs do that tooo but I wana go on a European/SEA roadtrip :woo:

plans for summer already?! :lol:

Hell yes! I'm leaving it quite even. Just so un-organized.

Earlier you book, the cheaper it is :colone:

Hell yes! I'm leaving it quite even. Just so un-organized.

Earlier you book, the cheaper it is :colone:

:tongue: Oh dear
Original post by Froodles
I reckon I honestly wouldn't be surprised if I got 0 for 1b)- I completely missed the point. But I still live in hope that my answers for the rest of them would score around 55/60 . The thing is, they mark so differently to A level examiners, so it's so hard to play the numbers game :frown:

Yeah I definitely got 0 for 1a, and maybe 10 for 1b (if they're feeling generous), although I would love to see the look on their faces when they mark 1c, and desperately wait for some sort of logical argument to form...and it doesn't :tongue: I'm aiming for about 55 marks in total, that seems to be the cut-off point for interview :smile:
Reply 3452
:giggle:

All the ELATers I talked to were really nice, cool people. :cool:

:colondollar:

:banana:

:bl:

The 1 Canadian I've ever talked to was lovely also, tehe :biggrin:
Original post by _becca
:banana:

:bl:

The 1 Canadian I've ever talked to was lovely also, tehe :biggrin:

:woo:

At first I thought you meant taking the ELAT with you and I was confused... :tongue:
:tongue: Oh dear

oh dear indeed. I forgot to put in late* oops.
Reply 3455
Original post by Niki_girl
Yeah I definitely got 0 for 1a, and maybe 10 for 1b (if they're feeling generous), although I would love to see the look on their faces when they mark 1c, and desperately wait for some sort of logical argument to form...and it doesn't :tongue: I'm aiming for about 55 marks in total, that seems to be the cut-off point for interview :smile:

Same. Before doing the exam, I was aiming to do quite well, but after doing it I think I'd be happy with anything above 50. Ah well, we'll see when the time comes. I do wish they'd tell you the score though, so if you got an interview you'd know how realistic your chances were, given your HAT score.
oh dear indeed. I forgot to put in late* oops.

Oh okay now that sentence makes sense
Reply 3457
:woo:

At first I thought you meant taking the ELAT with you and I was confused... :tongue:

Noooo. I have a question though, what IS the difference between the American and Canadian accent? :colondollar:
Original post by Froodles
Same. Before doing the exam, I was aiming to do quite well, but after doing it I think I'd be happy with anything above 50. Ah well, we'll see when the time comes. I do wish they'd tell you the score though, so if you got an interview you'd know how realistic your chances were, given your HAT score.

It's funny how when you first see the paper or hear of it, you think 70/100 is a reasonable score, but I will be amazingly happy if I get anything above 50! I wonder why they don't realise the scores like they do for the other aptitude tests...although I have half given up on getting an interview now but I just want to know!
Original post by _becca
Noooo. I have a question though, what IS the difference between the American and Canadian accent? :colondollar:

Um... not much. We talk like most Americans (so NOT texan, bostonian, new york, etc.)

It's mostly our mannerisms, sometimes spelling (e.g. favourite, centre, as you do), and sometimes word choice.

:dontknow:

we're just nicer :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending