The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MWM
Lord vulture, Do you live in the UK ?
I am thinking of applying to American Uni's too but I just don't know where to start, any advice ?

yes i go a boarding school here.. as for american unis, I hope your school has a sort of teacher in charge of american applications. If not, read the information on respective websites for application, and get started with preparing with SATs... ( they are very time consuming to prepare, and you won't be able to get into the top universities with an average SAT score :P
Original post by alex_hk90
Back in my day they started coming through in mid-to-late November. But that was a long time ago (4 years! :eek:) now.

hey what are your studying and which university?? (If you're still in Uni)... sorry im just wondering cos im from hk too
Reply 4742
Original post by lordvulture
hey what are your studying and which university?? (If you're still in Uni)... sorry im just wondering cos im from hk too

Hey I'm from HK too! :smile:
yes i go a boarding school here.. as for american unis, I hope your school has a sort of teacher in charge of american applications. If not, read the information on respective websites for application, and get started with preparing with SATs... ( they are very time consuming to prepare, and you won't be able to get into the top universities with an average SAT score :P

Do you know of any good universities (not the top ones) that don't emphasise on SAT that much? My SAT is only average yet my school grades are better. :/

Graduated from Cambridge studying Economics earlier this year, now in Beijing learning Mandarin at Tsinghua. Further details are in my profile. :smile:

you're definitely someone i know... i can just feel it...
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by alex_hk90
Graduated from Cambridge studying Economics earlier this year, now in Beijing learning Mandarin at Tsinghua. Further details are in my profile. :smile:

Ah man that must be nice :u:
Original post by theharrovian

not playing rugby anymore, gone swimming instead, good luck though :P and what are you doing on this thread :P

not playing rugby anymore, gone swimming instead, good luck though :P and what are you doing on this thread :P

no idea, just wanted to see what lse were doing, searched lse rejections and thought i'd just share the maths with econ news since nobody had said anything about it...
oo I applied for maths AND economics, its different from maths with economics, the latter is more maths orientated, but anwyay, what other unis have you applied to?? (for maths i presume unless u have a last minute chance of mind)

oo I applied for maths AND economics, its different from maths with economics, the latter is more maths orientated, but anwyay, what other unis have you applied to?? (for maths i presume unless u have a last minute chance of mind)

if you mean me, then i applied for cambridge, imperial, warwick, lse and ucl. maths at the first two, and maths and stats at warwick and ucl. what about you then? i presume you went for cambridge, what college then?
Reply 4751
any more offers/rejections today?
Original post by theharrovian
if you mean me, then i applied for cambridge, imperial, warwick, lse and ucl. maths at the first two, and maths and stats at warwick and ucl. what about you then? i presume you went for cambridge, what college then?

oo thought you were going for oxford :P Im applying for homerton :smile:

im going for cambridge, lse, ucl and warwick all econ, got rejected for maths + econ for lse :frown:

what are you applying for at lse??
Reply 4753

im going for cambridge, lse, ucl and warwick all econ, got rejected for maths + econ for lse :frown:

hi, sorry for butting in :P
i also got rejected from lse, for econ + econ history, ah! that rumour about lse rejecting people who apply pre-october 15th is really living up to itself!

i've also applied to cambridge + ucl (i also had warwick on my list, but had last minute change-ups i so very regret :frown:) and i was wondering why you picked ucl?
the ucl course is so much different from cambridge's tripos... although you do say that you like maths.
i kind of regret choosing ucl. its just those two replies i'm waiting for!

you got rejected by lse already? that's crazy... i understood why they rejected my friend but you? why?
Reply 4755

wow! that's surprising. Mind sharing your academic info? and how was your PS? i haven't heard anything from lse since the acknowledgement letter.

i applied to the same universities as you, all econ (LSE pure econs and maths + econs, homerton at Cambridge too!)
Original post by jhthed
wow! that's surprising. Mind sharing your academic info? and how was your PS? i haven't heard anything from lse since the acknowledgement letter.

i applied to the same universities as you, all econ (LSE pure econs and maths + econs, homerton at Cambridge too!)

so many ppl have gone for homerton lol... yet it is still one of the easiest to get into on paper, 11A*s and 5A* predictions and like 98% average in ASes... one would think that I stand a good chance at LSE right?? lol

you're lucky LSE hasn't rejected you for maths and econs given that you are also applying for pure econ :P I suppose your ps is more maths orientated?? cos I didn't mention any maths in my ps
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4757
so many ppl have gone for homerton lol... yet it is still one of the easiest to get into on paper, 11A*s and 5A* predictions and like 98% average in ASes... one would think that I stand a good chance at LSE right?? lol

you're lucky LSE hasn't rejected you for maths and econs given that you are also applying for pure econ :P I suppose your ps is more maths orientated?? cos I didn't mention any maths in my ps

yeah, thought you would have a good shot at lse. how many people do you know are applying for econs at homerton?

pure econs and maths+econs are of different departments. i know people who got offers for both. my ps geared more towards economics but i have a paragraph on mathematics. may i know when were you rejected? i sent off my application on 15th sept.
Original post by jhthed
yeah, thought you would have a good shot at lse. how many people do you know are applying for econs at homerton?

pure econs and maths+econs are of different departments. i know people who got offers for both. my ps geared more towards economics but i have a paragraph on mathematics. may i know when were you rejected? i sent off my application on 15th sept.

i know, maths + econs is done by maths department :frown: so not mentioning maths was probably not be a good idea...but anyway, I wouldn't have gone had I got an offer anyway, btw i sent mine off later than you, so you're still in the game :P

i don't know anyone outside student room whos applying for homerton, there seems to be 2 others apart from us on TSR although I suspect those two are the same person trying to put off others from applying, but again im not sure. 2-3 people really doesn't make a difference, as homerton is undersubscribed anyway, so they just take fewer from the pool if its good applicants, and more if the average standard is lower.

anyhow, good luck, hopefully we'll both be at cambridge next year :P
btw you sent your essay yet??

also did you put your AS scores on your UCAS for LSe? cos its kinda weird they didn't ask for it unlike UCL
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4759
i know, maths + econs is done by maths department :frown: so not mentioning maths was probably not be a good idea...but anyway, I wouldn't have gone had I got an offer anyway, btw i sent mine off later than you, so you're still in the game :P

i don't know anyone outside student room whos applying for homerton, there seems to be 2 others apart from us on TSR although I suspect those two are the same person trying to put off others from applying, but again im not sure. 2-3 people really doesn't make a difference, as homerton is undersubscribed anyway, so they just take fewer from the pool if its good applicants, and more if the average standard is lower.

anyhow, good luck, hopefully we'll both be at cambridge next year :P
btw you sent your essay yet??

also did you put your AS scores on your UCAS for LSe? cos its kinda weird they didn't ask for it unlike UCL

i'm an international applicant so they didn't ask for an essay. but i had to sit for a written test and TSA on the day after my interview. hope all of that went well :P

i've only sat for AS physics and A2 maths so far. best of luck to you too, it feels great to know someone in the same position :P

Latest

Trending

Trending