The Student Room Group

I'm black and want to wear a poppy. Will it be frowned upon?

Is it frowned upon if non indigenous Brits show their support by wearing the poppy? I don't want to look stupid.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Wow, is this a troll?

Of course it won't, white, black, brown, yellow people fought and died in the war to secure the type of world we have today.

Of course it wouldn't be, it is a sign of respect and is in fact looked upon very highly. I bet if you look back in your family somebody in your family was somehow involved in the war.

Please do not be put off buying a poppy.
Reply 2
Original post by Agenda Suicide
Wow, is this a troll?

Of course it won't, white, black, brown, yellow people fought and died in the war to secure the type of world we have today.

Of course it wouldn't be, it is a sign of respect and is in fact looked upon very highly. I bet if you look back in your family somebody in your family was somehow involved in the war.

Please do not be put off buying a poppy.

My cousin is in the Army at the moment and was in Afghanistan last year. I doubt any of my past relatives fought in the war though.

I hope I don't look stupid at work and uni.
Original post by Anonymous
My cousin is in the Army at the moment and was in Afghanistan last year. I doubt any of my past relatives fought in the war though.

I hope I don't look stupid at work and uni.

They may not have fought but they may have been involved in hiding or being part of the supporting war effort.

And of course you won't, you'll be surprised that if anybody does comment, it's out of respect for you bothering.

I myself thank-you for helping to support our armed forces, good job friend!
I used to feel the same way, being a non-white (and an immigrant, in fact). But I think society is now more open to non-whites taking part in the commemorations. So I'm going to wear a poppy this year for the first time.
Reply 5
Original post by Dirac Delta Function
I used to feel the same way, being a non-white (and an immigrant, in fact). But I think society is now more open to non-whites taking part in the commemorations. So I'm going to wear a poppy this year for the first time.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, I'm also an immigrant.

I just worry that some toffs at work will laugh behind my back and say that I'm trying to be one of them when I'm not.
Reply 6
Original post by Agenda Suicide
They may not have fought but they may have been involved in hiding or being part of the supporting war effort.

And of course you won't, you'll be surprised that if anybody does comment, it's out of respect for you bothering.

I myself thank-you for helping to support our armed forces, good job friend!

Thanks for understanding.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, I'm also an immigrant.

I just worry that some toffs at work will laugh behind my back and say that I'm trying to be one of them when I'm not.

That's exactly why I have not worn one before, but I don't think people have this attitude any more, other than a minority.
Why not? Stop worrying and excluding yourself, I see girls wearing the headscarf with poppies all the time. If they can do it and not get cussed out I'm sure you can
Reply 9
You are hardly going to look stupid for paying respect to the soldiers who fought for the country you are in. People will respect you for it regardless of your skin colour, including myself. :smile:
Reply 10
OP I'm black and I bought one
Reply 11
If someone ever tells you to stop wearing the poppy tell them to kindly **** off.
Reply 12
Original post by mirin?
If someone ever tells you to stop wearing the poppy tell them to kindly **** off.

Don't you think the BNP people would though?
LOL :confused:

i'm mixed race and i always wear one
Who are you going to offend? The Lancastrians or the Yorkists.. Just wear the poppy lol
Is it frowned upon if non indigenous Brits show their support by wearing the poppy? I don't want to look stupid.

of course it isn't, you're english aren't u? I mean, wear it with pride. There are man many black english people who wear poppies,
Reply 16
No, there's someone in my school who is asian and he weres one. In fact he is more or less the only person wearing one right now.
Course not. Let's remember the areas now known as Africa and Asia were central to Allied victory in both World Wars.

Anyone who questions your wearing of the poppy on the grounds of skin colour is just being ignorant.
(edited 12 years ago)
Probably not a good idea to feed the troll.
Original post by iProcrastinate
Probably not a good idea to feed the troll.

There are some people who would feel that non-whites are not worthy of the poppy.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending