The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Parle à ma main
Thank you, guys, btw, I was getting worried that I'd annoyed all you lovely people. :colondollar:

no way!

i love the fact that we have talked about so many different topics on here - makes a change from the usual negative feelings towards med applications :tongue:
Original post by laurie:)
:coma:

nandos + dominos :biggrin:

whenever i went to visit a uni i'd look to see if the place had at least one of those :tongue:

And subway! :smile:

Ahh that's a good point! Well, I can confirm Newcastle has one. :p: The one nearest (I think) to the uni has a gorgeous view too! Just realised, I've applied to Keele which is a campus uni, that means no nandos/dominoes/subway unless I'm willing to travel. dan dan daaaa :eek:
no way!

i love the fact that we have talked about so many different topics on here - makes a change from the usual negative feelings towards med applications :tongue:

I'm glad! Yeah, that's true, this thread is a really good with supporting you through the application, by giving good advice or by taking your mind off it :smile:
And subway! :smile:

Ahh that's a good point! Well, I can confirm Newcastle has one. :p: The one nearest (I think) to the uni has a gorgeous view too! Just realised, I've applied to Keele which is a campus uni, that means no nandos/dominoes/subway unless I'm willing to travel. dan dan daaaa :eek:

newcastle is lovely :love:

could be worse, i've applied to st andrews, which is literally, like a couple of streets and a university :eek:

sooo different from where i live (london)!!!! :biggrin:
Reply 8804
loving this...... the medicine 2012 has just stepped it up a notch!!

:biggrin:

could be worse, i've applied to st andrews, which is literally, like a couple of streets and a university :eek:

Newcastle's nice at night but I think it's quite boring during the day. :p: But the med school's good. Although they do exams obscenely early! My friend couldn't do anything for Eid because the first exam's tomorrow and she's spent the whole day revisisng. :rofl: Poor her.

I've heard good things about St. Andrews. Although I've also heard they don't have a hospital? :p: London! I'm so jealous! Uni there would be amazing because everything seems to happen in London... the good protests, the meetings for anything, the arts and the music etc. But it's expensive and all the unis are crazy competitive :frown:
Original post by PrismaticCore
I'm sorry but just because it's not 'stayed on topic' doesn't mean you should just carry on the trend.

we've chatted about all sorts, because its our chat thread. sure, we talk about medicine applications but if you can only talk about that it gets a bit gloomy and downbeat.

if you think we're spamming the CHAT thread with our not on topic stuff, tell a medicine forum mod, don't moan at us.

Yeah and not to mention the fact that you and I chatted about absolutely nothing for 3 whole pages, and penguinsaysquack said it was perfectly fine and that we weren't spamming :yep:. Proves that it's allowed for us to have general chat about stuff.
I'm sorry but just because it's not 'stayed on topic' doesn't mean you should just carry on the trend.
This thread is in the Medicine forum for a reason; it's for medical applicants who are applying for Medicine 2012 to discuss the application and whatnot.

Now if you want general chit-chat, I'm pretty damn sure you'll find a thread for that too.
And your Xmas argument doesn't really support your point...

If you take what you said litterally then we've already done the application part, so theres nothing left to say on that matter and the thread should be dead...

People will probably start talking about medicine more when there is actually stuff to talk about, like when there are more interviews given out and when the inevitable first rejection comes through and stuff like that. But for now, why not talk about random other stuff, nothing wrong with it. Anyways the title says "medicial entry 2012" so that could be refering to the entrants rather than the subject, therefore we as medical entrant people can talk about whatever the hell we like be that Eid, Christmas or even Medicine :smile:
Original post by Quackers93
Can you:
Burn Pizza? :yep:
Burn beans? :yep:
Explode a pot of custard in a microwave and burn the remainder that you can eat? :no:
Manage to make a cup of tea taste burnt? :no: (though mainly because I don't drink tea)
AND cremate a potato waffle? :yep:

If so, you are as bad as me :biggrin:

Also to add to your list:

Fail to notice that the oven hadn't been turned on properly which is why your pizza wouldn't cook for an hour:
Undercook pasta:
Get the pasta:sauce ratio so ridiculously wrong:
Attempt to freeze pasta:
Undercook rice:

I couldn't cook before coming to uni as it might show... but you pick it up after a bit... you have to :smile:

Eid Mubarak to anyone celebrating it! :smile:

I'm not Islamic but celebrating it since my flatmate is and she's cooking us all Indian food!

So Eid Mubarak!

Mmm, not meaning to be a party pooper but this thread is for discussing Medical Entry 2012.
Just saying.

This is for you lot to chat about what you want, medical applications or not.
We want you lot to feel comfortable and have a good time on here, UCAS is stressful enough as it is.

Just saying.

Where abouts in London? :ninja:
Original post by Penguinsaysquack
Also to add to your list:

Fail to notice that the oven hadn't been turned on properly which is why your pizza wouldn't cook for an hour:
Undercook pasta:
Get the pasta:sauce ratio so ridiculously wrong:
Attempt to freeze pasta:
Undercook rice:

I couldn't cook before coming to uni as it might show... but you pick it up after a bit... you have to :smile:

Funnily enough I did the first one before burning the pizza haha I've not dared tried pasta or rice yet, thats next on my hit list :P

Ah so theres hope for me yet - maybe under the pressure of having to cook my own food at uni I'll become an ace chef :cool: or just go a bit hungry until I eventually realise that I can make a sandwhich :tongue:
Funnily enough I did the first one before burning the pizza haha I've not dared tried pasta or rice yet, thats next on my hit list :P

Ah so theres hope for me yet - maybe under the pressure of having to cook my own food at uni I'll become an ace chef :cool: or just go a bit hungry until I eventually realise that I can make a sandwhich :tongue:

Pasta and rice aren't too bad, just remember the little bit of salt and to test it before you drain it..
Oh and the cup rule! 1/2 cup for rice, full cup for pasta for portion size :h:

You might not become an ace chef... but you shouldn't starve :tongue:
(plus you get those filled pasta's which are always good and you literally cannot go wrong with them :yy:)
Pasta and rice aren't too bad, just remember the little bit of salt and to test it before you drain it..

(plus you get those filled pasta's which are always good and you literally cannot go wrong with them :yy:)

cup rule?!

gaahh this has been where i've been going wrong in my life
i always make enough pasta to feed about 5 people :colonhash:

stupid question i suppose...but do you just fill a cup with the pasta? then put that in the pot and thats enough to cook?
Original post by atomos
cup rule?!

gaahh this has been where i've been going wrong in my life
i always make enough pasta to feed about 5 people :colonhash:

stupid question i suppose...but do you just fill a cup with the pasta? then put that in the pot and thats enough to cook?

It'll depend on your cup but basically if you fill your average cup/mug with pasta and cook that then that's enough for one portion (find it slightly less than I need tbh..)
Then if you use the same cup, half that amount is the amount of rice you need for one portion :yy:

So yeah, measure out the pasta in the cup/mug. Have your water boiling.. pour pasta into boiling water.. cook said pasta :awesome:

Ah ok I shall try it :smile: Although I'll probably get confused with what size a cup or 1/2 cup is, because in our house there are so many different sizes of cups!

I guess it's time to experiment! :colone: Let take it to the lab! (Don't know if anyone else watches ask Rhod Gilbert but yeah)

Doesn't matter, just sat your post to Atomos :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Newcastle's nice at night but I think it's quite boring during the day. :p: But the med school's good. Although they do exams obscenely early! My friend couldn't do anything for Eid because the first exam's tomorrow and she's spent the whole day revisisng. :rofl: Poor her.

I've heard good things about St. Andrews. Although I've also heard they don't have a hospital? :p: London! I'm so jealous! Uni there would be amazing because everything seems to happen in London... the good protests, the meetings for anything, the arts and the music etc. But it's expensive and all the unis are crazy competitive :frown:

ahhh i just think its really lovely anytime! just chillin by the river :love:

yeah, they dont have a hospital, so you have to move away after 3 years to do your clinicals at another place (but i quite like the idea of not being in one place for the whole 6 years) :smile:

i really love it! im aiming to stay in london for uni cause i just love it so much :tongue:

Where abouts in London? :ninja:

daan saaf-east :tongue: do you know lewisham?
I guess it's time to experiment! :colone: Let take it to the lab! (Don't know if anyone else watches ask Rhod Gilbert but yeah)

Haha yes! Rhod Gilbert/Greg Davies are brilliant on that show, I love the questions from Kim Jong-il. :biggrin:
Original post by Normandy114
Haha yes! Rhod Gilbert/Greg Davies are brilliant on that show, I love the questions from Kim Jong-il. :biggrin:

If you're a Greg Davies fan he's hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks tomorrow I think :biggrin:
If you're a Greg Davies fan he's hosting Never Mind the Buzzcocks tomorrow I think :biggrin:

Thank you very much :biggrin:
chicken breast wrap with chips and coleslaw, fresh lemonade and white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake :coma:

godilovenandos :coma: :coma: :coma:
Reply 8819
chicken breast wrap with chips and coleslaw, fresh lemonade and white chocolate and raspberry cheesecake :coma:

godilovenandos :coma: :coma: :coma:

oh you beast! you're making me hungry. going to raid the fridge now

Latest

Trending

Trending