The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Getting into Oxbridge for Postgraduate Study

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1220
Original post by abc:)
So at the moment I'm studying at Sheffield but it's looking likely that after my undergrad I will want to carry on at university, for various reasons.

I was just wondering, and this only just occurred to me really, would it be possible to go from Sheffield to Cambridge to do a masters? Because I know Sheffield is obviously quite far below Cambridge in the league tables, but if I did really well in my degree would this be a possibility?

Not sure, but I have a friend who went to Leeds, and is now doing a PHD at cambridge, not sure about the Masters though.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 1221
Original post by JontyC
Not sure, but I have a friend who went to Leeds, and is now doing a PHD at cambridge, not sure about the Masters though.

Well, I know I'm not selling myself very well, but I'm undecided as to the type of thing I'd want to do, I would consider PhD as well. I am only a first year undergrad lol. The other thing worrying me though is my course, which is Hispanic Studies, I'm not sure if that course gets taken very seriously, especially compared to Spanish or Modern Languages.

What did he do? And what's his PhD now? Just out of interest
Reply 1222
Bump
So at the moment I'm studying at Sheffield but it's looking likely that after my undergrad I will want to carry on at university, for various reasons.

I was just wondering, and this only just occurred to me really, would it be possible to go from Sheffield to Cambridge to do a masters? Because I know Sheffield is obviously quite far below Cambridge in the league tables, but if I did really well in my degree would this be a possibility?

Yes, perfectly possible. Get 67% or higher and an all round strong application and you'll be competitive.
Reply 1224
Original post by threeportdrift
Yes, perfectly possible. Get 67% or higher and an all round strong application and you'll be competitive.

Yay! So happy about this
Reply 1225
Xristina, thanks for your reply. As the GRE is not required, and thus may not be important, is there any other way I can strengthen my application academically?

Does being a mature student get any grace? e.g. I bring a lot of professional experience to the program which is somewhat relevant.

Thanks so much, desidude
Original post by desidude
Xristina, thanks for your reply. As the GRE is not required, and thus may not be important, is there any other way I can strengthen my application academically?

Does being a mature student get any grace? e.g. I bring a lot of professional experience to the program which is somewhat relevant.

Thanks so much, desidude

Really all you can do is right a really great application form - convince them with your personal statements and proposal.
Reply 1227
Well, I know I'm not selling myself very well, but I'm undecided as to the type of thing I'd want to do, I would consider PhD as well. I am only a first year undergrad lol. The other thing worrying me though is my course, which is Hispanic Studies, I'm not sure if that course gets taken very seriously, especially compared to Spanish or Modern Languages.

What did he do? And what's his PhD now? Just out of interest

I'm not entirely sure what the Undergrad degree was, it was something Engineering based. And the PhD is, don't quote me on this, but 'Glass Engineering'? She's researching the structural properties of glass for buildings etc? :confused:

Anyway, if you do well at undergrad, anything is possible :smile:
I'd focus on the here & now for the moment though :biggrin:

Focus on having fun at your current university and getting good grades, before gazing after a Cambridge masters :wink:
Reply 1229
There's plenty of information in the Postgraduate forum for you:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100
Reply 1230
Thank you guys :smile:
I want to apply for PhDs and Mphils in philosophy and law (i.e. either legal philosophy in a philosophy dept. or jurisprudence in a law department)

I have mixed results:

-2.1 (66% average) undergrad philosophy

-Juris Doctor (U.S. pattern 3 year post-graduate law degree) from a well regarded American university, with very poor results in my first year but near perfect results in subsequent years.

-Distinction in MA in philosophy (73% average)

-multiple academic legal publications and a dozen academic conference presentations, professional research and teaching experience.

Essentially I did well in some years and poorly in others and have a middle 2.1 as an undergrad and I'm not sure how much damage that will do to my application. Obviously oxbridge post-graduate courses have plenty of people who have both 1sts in their BA and distinctions in their MA work to choose from - any opinions about the chances of someone with that profile?
Original post by VitaminQuartet

It won't make enough difference to stop you being competitive. Sure, there will be some applicants with perfect records, but fortunately there aren't enough of them to fill the courses, so excellent candidates with occasional blips can still compete. You recent qualifications and academic record will be much more relevant.
Original post by threeportdrift
It won't make enough difference to stop you being competitive. Sure, there will be some applicants with perfect records, but fortunately there aren't enough of them to fill the courses, so excellent candidates with occasional blips can still compete. You recent qualifications and academic record will be much more relevant.

Thanks for the response - I hope you're right!
Hi Everyone :smile:

I've got a question about the Oxford Online Application system. I've uploaded all my documents but found that when I press preview the format is completely different and everything is like half a page longer than it should be.

Anyone else found this/knows what to do?

x
Reply 1235
The obvious solutions would be to try and convert everything into pdfs. Or have you already tried that?
Hi there, just graduated from a top 5 UK university with an Msc degree. Unfortunately, I only managed to get a Merit (average of 65%). Should I forget about a Phd in Oxbridge ?
Reply 1237
If you are talking about the Hobson system, the preview prior to submission seems crap with bad formatting etc. The pdf generated after submission is much better, but by then it is obviously too late to change anything (!)

TBD

Original post by g-oo-ey
Hi Everyone :smile:

I've got a question about the Oxford Online Application system. I've uploaded all my documents but found that when I press preview the format is completely different and everything is like half a page longer than it should be.

Anyone else found this/knows what to do?

x
Original post by hobnob
The obvious solutions would be to try and convert everything into pdfs. Or have you already tried that?

After a major freak out session I managed to it, through the same solution, thanks though!
Reply 1239
Great. Good luck!:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending