The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BeccaCath94
Yeah same. We're doing it at 8.35...... :s-smilie:

8:35????? mine is at 3:20!! :O
Original post by laughylolly
I did it in year 6, 7 and 8. If I remember right I got bronze in 6 and 8 but best in school in year 7 for the junior maths challenge =). Never did the intermediate.

This is completely different but I did the Scottish Maths challenge last year. It was really good, it's a completely different format from the UKMT one and the questions require full proofs rather than just an answer.

Year 6?? I never knew you could do it then!! I didnt do it in year 7 either but have done ever since year 8 :smile: Wow well done in year 7 i'm never that good.... Plus we have these two boys in my year who have got medals in the MC before.....

:eek: I hate PROOFS!!! Worst part of maths!!!!!

Original post by Beth1234
Your lessons start at 8:35? :eek: WHY??? Does nobody sleep where you come from? :tongue:

I know its crazy!!!!! When do yours start?
Year 6?? I never knew you could do it then!! I didnt do it in year 7 either but have done ever since year 8 :smile: Wow well done in year 7 i'm never that good.... Plus we have these two boys in my year who have got medals in the MC before.....

I know its crazy!!!!! When do yours start?

Yeah, my school was a Nursery-Y13 school (British international school in the US) so they allowed some of the year 6's to take it too. I did good that one year but haven't done that great otherwise "/ no medals for me! Those boys must have done really well.

Well they aren't rigorous proofs but you basically have to explain everything you did to find the answer and try and find a general solution to the problem. And it's like 0 mark for nothing or completely wrong, 1 mark for an attempt, 2 marks for something that is going in the right direction but not completely correct, 3 for an almost perfect answer, 4 for a complete answer and then you can get bonus marks for finding a general solution. Also you get to do it in your own time and reference books to help you. But it's not like you can just look up the answers in a book, you might find a method that you could use to help you solve the problem but you still have to know how and if you should apply it etc.

I think you're applying for the wrong subject...
Reply 2844
Original post by like_a_star
congrats :smile: when did u send your ucas off?

Reply 2845
Heriott watt, strathclyde, Aberdeen , edinburgh and dundee. Need ABBB* minimum requirements first sitting

I lulled at this. :p:
Offer from Edinburgh!
Original post by Ultimate1992
Offer from Edinburgh!

Congrats :biggrin:
Original post by Farhan.Hanif93
I think you're applying for the wrong subject...

Oh dear....hahaha :/ I just dont understand them!!!

Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
I lulled at this. :p:

Why??
Original post by Edwin Okli
That's when my lessons start.. it's pretty standard I thought.

I'm doing it at 11:00 though which means I miss one and a half Maths lessons, I think they deliberately did it así.

Yeah i thought it was pretty standard....
Oh the joys...i have maths directly after it so.... :tongue:

Original post by Beth1234
Oh... I've never heard of lessons starting that early :redface: I've moved schools quite a lot, and everywhere I've been, lessons have started at 9am - the finishing time can vary quite a bit though.

Well 9am isnt that late compared to 8.35....i thought you were going to say about 10am!!!!

Original post by dnumberwang
Agreed... that's stupidly early :eek4: :eek3: :eek2:

No its not!! Well im used to it now i guess.....

Original post by like_a_star
8:35????? mine is at 3:20!! :O

:eek: my school finishes at 3.30..........
Original post by laughylolly
Yeah, my school was a Nursery-Y13 school (British international school in the US) so they allowed some of the year 6's to take it too. I did good that one year but haven't done that great otherwise "/ no medals for me! Those boys must have done really well.

Well they aren't rigorous proofs but you basically have to explain everything you did to find the answer and try and find a general solution to the problem. And it's like 0 mark for nothing or completely wrong, 1 mark for an attempt, 2 marks for something that is going in the right direction but not completely correct, 3 for an almost perfect answer, 4 for a complete answer and then you can get bonus marks for finding a general solution. Also you get to do it in your own time and reference books to help you. But it's not like you can just look up the answers in a book, you might find a method that you could use to help you solve the problem but you still have to know how and if you should apply it etc.

Ooh that sounds pretty cool!! :smile: Those boys did do very well yes!! :tongue:
Ohhhhh, that doesnt sound too bad then..... :smile:
Yeah i thought it was pretty standard....
Oh the joys...i have maths directly after it so.... :tongue:

Well 9am isnt that late compared to 8.35....i thought you were going to say about 10am!!!!

No its not!! Well im used to it now i guess.....

:eek: my school finishes at 3.30..........

yeah i know its after school -_-
Original post by Ultimate1992
Offer from Edinburgh!

Seriously?! Ahhhh no another uni I've applied to I need to be paranoid about now...

I thought Edinburgh didn't give offers until January/February time?
Why??

:redface: Well, most people love them. And I'm pretty sure it's a rather important aspect of degree level mathematics. :colondollar: IMHO.
(Hope I didn't offend you by lulling, I just found it funny for the reasons above! :smile: )
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2855
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
:redface: Well, most people love them. And I'm pretty sure it's a rather important aspect of degree level mathematics. :colondollar: IMHO.
(Hope I didn't offend you by lulling, I just found it funny for the reasons above! :smile: )

Proofs FTW :cool:
I love proof - cannot wait until I get my teeth into more of it at Uni.
Original post by derangedyoshi
Seriously?! Ahhhh no another uni I've applied to I need to be paranoid about now...

I thought Edinburgh didn't give offers until January/February time?

You are applying for G101, right? I applied for G102, so don't be paranoid, I am sure you will get an offer soon :smile:
Original post by TheMagicMan
Congrats :biggrin:

:biggrin: thank you
Offer from Imperial for G104 :u:

A*A*AA, yep 4 A levels, I personally think that's a bit ridiculous :lol:

Latest