The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jamz0770
Hey guys,

I hope your applications are going well, for those of you looking for a summer internship you should check out the conference in my signature. This year we have nine summer internships for applicants of the conference which is a great opportunity for non-penultimate year students to gain some experience at some world class firms!

Feel free to message me with any questions or post in the thread I started (In this forum)

Hiya, I just checked out the web page (www.uclfc.org) and it sounds good! How does the internship part work/how are candidates selected? And what is the application process?
Original post by woods.vanessa
Hiya, I just checked out the web page (www.uclfc.org) and it sounds good! How does the internship part work/how are candidates selected? And what is the application process?

The application process is filling out the form on the website at - http://www.uclfc.org/applications

You just put in your details and copy and paste your CV (The copy and paste system makes it easier for our screening partners to assess applications).

The applications are screened by The Cornell Partnership (Who coincidentally also do the screening for a number of boutique investment banks) who select the delegates for the conference.

When applying you can also specify a preference for the internship scheme (Abroad/London) and also say which company you would be most interested in interning at, you are however still considered for all companies and the Cornell Partnership again look at candidates and their suitability for the different companies and selected candidates will be invited for interview around the same time as the conference.

In that sense its a big positive for applicants as you only have to fill out one form but are considered for nine internships and we are currently in negotiations to add a further one or two companies to the scheme.

I hope that helps but If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.
Original post by jamz0770
The application process is filling out the form on the website at - http://www.uclfc.org/applications

You just put in your details and copy and paste your CV (The copy and paste system makes it easier for our screening partners to assess applications).

The applications are screened by The Cornell Partnership (Who coincidentally also do the screening for a number of boutique investment banks) who select the delegates for the conference.

When applying you can also specify a preference for the internship scheme (Abroad/London) and also say which company you would be most interested in interning at, you are however still considered for all companies and the Cornell Partnership again look at candidates and their suitability for the different companies and selected candidates will be invited for interview around the same time as the conference.

In that sense its a big positive for applicants as you only have to fill out one form but are considered for nine internships and we are currently in negotiations to add a further one or two companies to the scheme.

I hope that helps but If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer.

Oh right ok. So even if you don't get an internship, you can still attend the conference? Is there a deadline and is it done on a rolling basis?
Oh right ok. So even if you don't get an internship, you can still attend the conference? Is there a deadline and is it done on a rolling basis?

Yes that's correct. We screen the X number of applications and 250 are selected to attend the conference, from those selected applicants a number (specified by our partner companies) are selected for interviews with regards to internships. The internship scheme is an additional feature of the conference which is of course the main feature. We do have a number of people applying who already have internships lined up for the summer and therefore have no interest in the internship scheme but still want to attend for the networking opportunities as well as the chance to hear some of the amazing speakers we have lined up.

The deadline is the 30th of November and applications are assessed on a rolling basis but have not started being assessed yet.
Original post by Zweihander
The things 100 has mentioned wont get you a spring week but are rather "prerequisites" for getting a spring week.

Getting AAA+ wont get you a spring week, especially at the top unis where everyone has AAA+. You're just expected to have good grades and in practice that means at least 3 As.

Also, going to Oxbridge, UCL, LSE, ICL and Warwick, I might add, wont get you a spring week either, but the vast majority of FO grads & interns come from those unis so going to one of those greatly improves your chances.

If you want to get a spring week the most important thing to do is to differentiate yourself. You need to do things that make you stand out, and you can do this by:

-getting relevant work experience
-getting involved in a wide range of extracurricualr activities (leadership positions, team sports, volunteering etc)
-getting involved in entrepreneurial ventures and other business initiatives

amongst other things, and reading a hell of a lot about banking, finance and the industry. That's how you get a spring week.

Hi Zweihander!

I just need your advice or should I say help, I recently joined the Benedix program and to be honest it has been an utter waste of money it has been videos after pointless videos. I was hoping they would help me by looking over my CV and helping me with a cover letter so that I could apply for the GS spring internship.

I am aware you got into the GS internship and I was wondering whether or not you could help me? I would be more than willing to pay.

I hope you get this on time.

Thanks
Reply 325
Original post by iheartmondays
Hi Zweihander!

I just need your advice or should I say help, I recently joined the Benedix program and to be honest it has been an utter waste of money it has been videos after pointless videos. I was hoping they would help me by looking over my CV and helping me with a cover letter so that I could apply for the GS spring internship.

I am aware you got into the GS internship and I was wondering whether or not you could help me? I would be more than willing to pay.

I hope you get this on time.

Thanks

Literally easiest money ever.
For some reason! The JPMORGAN SW has two deadlines. 11/11/11 and 4/12/11? Anyone know which is correct?
Original post by latslikeabat
For some reason! The JPMORGAN SW has two deadlines. 11/11/11 and 4/12/11? Anyone know which is correct?

They'd be mad if 11/11/11 was the deadline...way too early
Original post by latslikeabat

Its the 4th of Dec
Anybody applied to the MS Spring week ?

I tried to an hour ago, but for some reason I can't get to the registration page - it keeps on glitching and showing the same darn vacancy search page...

Also, with all of these applications, what are you putting as your expected classification? Seeing as we haven't had any exams/results yet... I'm just putting down a 1st - not that I'm exaggerating, I genuinely believe I can get a 1st.

Not yet, but I'm almost ready to apply to SW's just need to do a few more things. have you heard back from MS or anywhere else yet?

Yea and took the numerical test too.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by dogmatichurricane
Yea and took the numerical test too.

how was it?
Original post by i_hate_teeth
how was it?

Quite straightforward the only issue would be the time. If you're good at mental arithmetic, then it should be a breeze.
Original post by dogmatichurricane
Quite straightforward the only issue would be the time. If you're good at mental arithmetic, then it should be a breeze.

Just use a calculator lol
Reply 336
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
Just use a calculator lol

I'm telling.
Original post by Cabine Sono Qui
I tried to an hour ago, but for some reason I can't get to the registration page - it keeps on glitching and showing the same darn vacancy search page...

Also, with all of these applications, what are you putting as your expected classification? Seeing as we haven't had any exams/results yet... I'm just putting down a 1st - not that I'm exaggerating, I genuinely believe I can get a 1st.

I put N/A. I asked a grad recruiter and she said put N/A. Otherwise everyone would predict themselves firsts :biggrin:
Original post by i_hate_teeth
Not yet, but I'm almost ready to apply to SW's just need to do a few more things. have you heard back from MS or anywhere else yet?

I've only applied to MS and CS and I've heard nothing back yet.
My friend applied for JPM but got a rejection the day after doing the online tests, so maybe not hearing back is a good thing? *crosses fingers*
I've only applied to MS and CS and I've heard nothing back yet.
My friend applied for JPM but got a rejection the day after doing the online tests, so maybe not hearing back is a good thing? *crosses fingers*

MS should send you the numerical test soon. I applied to JPM nearly a week ago and still haven't got the test link...hmm.

Latest

Trending

Trending