The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9920
I had a customer spit on me today.

The man asked for £50 cashback and was apparently given two old 320 notes. I said to the man that I needed to check with the casheir and make some other checks and he went mental, accused me of trying to steal his money. I asked him to calm down and he refused. Spat on me, and then decided to have a "heart attack".

People are disgusting...
OMG thats horrible, hope they banned him
Original post by Foulish

The man asked for £50 cashback and was apparently given two old 320 notes. I said to the man that I needed to check with the casheir and make some other checks and he went mental, accused me of trying to steal his money. I asked him to calm down and he refused. Spat on me, and then decided to have a "heart attack".

People are disgusting...

thats vile, what a horrid man. My friend had some woman swear at them, and accuse them of coming on to her husband when she asked "Are you planning on seeing any fireworks today?"

People are ridiculous.
Reply 9923
Original post by Foulish

People are disgusting...

hope you called the police? that's assault!
Right, I'm in my probationary period and I feel like utter dog****. If I feel like I'm too ill to work, and I don't go in, am I likely to be fired? I'm not work shy or anything, I'm just feeling worse than I have in months.
Original post by Gavin-D
If your ill then your ill, just phone your store and tell them, they can't fire you if you are genuinely ill then you have nothing to worry about only thing I would say is give them at least 2 to 4 hours notice so they can get someone to cover for you.

Ah, I'd heard they can and do get rid of you for just about anything in the 12 week probation period. Not working until tomorrow anyway, hopefully I'm better then.
Reply 9926
Original post by Christien
Ah, I'd heard they can and do get rid of you for just about anything in the 12 week probation period. Not working until tomorrow anyway, hopefully I'm better then.

Well they can but it's very expensive to recruit and train someone for 12 weeks and then fire them because they've taken a day off sick.
Reply 9927
my store has a dedicated absence phone number which you have to phone an hour before the start of your shift. so next time you're in it might be good to ask for their number.
Hi guys, can anyone tell me what till training's like? Mine's supposed to be on saturday.
Reply 9929
Original post by thatg
my store has a dedicated absence phone number which you have to phone an hour before the start of your shift. so next time you're in it might be good to ask for their number.

Should be on your contract.
A question.. what is sainsburys take on nose piercings? :smile:
Original post by Gracie_liv
A question.. what is sainsburys take on nose piercings? :smile:

As long as you dont work in the counters/bakery/cafe you should be fine. I have a nose and lip piercing and more. Plus plenty others have various piercings and get away with it, except a poor boy on counters his face is covered in blue plasters.
Original post by thatg

The minimum time you have to give is an hour, but if you know you'll be off then you should phone in as soon a possible. We have people who sit and wait until exactly an hour before the start of their shift before calling in, which really doesn't give a lot of chance to find someone to replace them.
Reply 9933
I had to apprehend a shop lifter today, thankfully with the help of a security guard.
Would just like to thank the members of this thread for the their advice, had a phonecall today letting me know I'd got the job and that my inductions were tomorrow and Sunday. Looking forward to it!

Tom
Hey, guys :smile:

I'm going to be applying for part-time position which asks for 12 hours on the site. I was wonderingif it is possible for me to negotiate it down to maybe aboutt 10, or spread the hours to the weekend if I do make it?

Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by 123abcDoReMi

I'm going to be applying for part-time position which asks for 12 hours on the site. I was wonderingif it is possible for me to negotiate it down to maybe aboutt 10, or spread the hours to the weekend if I do make it?

Hiya!

From what i understand the minimum number of hours you can do a week is 12. So i doubt they'd let you bring it down to 10, i'm not 100% sure though. Just everyone i know who works at sainsburys (including me) works at least 12 hours. And usually the shifts on the website are the ones they need people for, and so they wouldn't be willing to move them. However, if you can stick with those shifts for the first few weeks then you may be able to get them moved - or thats what i'm hoping with my saturday night shift (worst time to work ever...).

Hope this helps a bit!

As said, I don't know anyone who has had less than 12 hours a week on their contract.

Regarding hours, it depends what sort of vacancy it is. I applied to work at a new build store. The hours I applied for were two 6 hour shifts. I ended up being offered a 4 hour evening and an 8 hour Saturday shift [which were actually better for me] when I got to interview/offered the job. :smile:
Original post by Gavin-D
No problem Tom, maybe I will be 3rd time luck when I next get an interview.

Good luck with it!
Original post by TomJacobs
Would just like to thank the members of this thread for the their advice, had a phonecall today letting me know I'd got the job and that my inductions were tomorrow and Sunday. Looking forward to it!

Tom

Congrats! What department did you apply for?

I originally applied for Sunday, Monday, Friday. I asked at interview if I could change the Friday to another day(I was in uni) but they said no, they were the hours I'd have to work. Because I thought I'd only have the job for a few weeks, I said that was fine, I'd work something out. On my first day though, the manager came up to me and was all like 'I heard you want to change your hours, what day can you do instead?' so I ended up doing Saturday, Monday and Tuesday. :biggrin:
Pretty sure something similar happened to another girl who started at the same time as me as well. You won't be able to do under the 12 hours, as people have said, but maybe try asking them if you can change your hours anyway. They might have another candidate in the same position, and you can just do a swap. A lot of it will depend on your store though, mine has always been pretty good with changing my hours...

Latest