The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Anyone Else Starting the Japanese Studies Course in September 2011?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 520
Original post by Im_a_cyborg
Eh? The university wanted to remove your post? wtf

He left the course now. Walked out at the end of the first half of a double lesson and never came back. No idea if he is still lurking around the forums.

Also, that post was bad for the uni's reputation. No one is wanna join a course with no positives in it. I'm sure they wouldn't have removed it if he had left some positive points in the post and not just a massive rant about the uni and sensei.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 521
Original post by 07734
He left the course now. Walked out at the end of the first half of a double lesson and never came back. No idea if he is still lurking around the forums.

Also, that post was bad for the uni's reputation. No one is wanna join a course with no positives in it. I'm sure they wouldn't have removed it if he had left some positive points in the post and not just a massive rant about the uni and sensei.

Huh, that's interesting. I'd typed up a rebuttal to his post (before he deleted it) but then I thought better of it.

He sounded like someone who didn't really know what university is about (let alone what the course is about) and was expecting a language school type of experience. His comments weren't at all fair so I see why the uni wouldn't be happy about them.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 522
Original post by Tommles
He sounded like someone who didn't really know what university is about (let alone what the course is about) and was expecting a language school type of experience. His comments weren't at all fair so I see why the uni wouldn't be happy about them.

Kindly refrain from making baseless assumptions like that. We have never met and you do not know anything about me.

I hold a MSc degree, so I know very well what to expect from university courses.

It is true that I expected a bit more intensity on the language side of the program. Nine hours of language class per week are not enough for me, and I personally did not like the way some of the classes were conducted. They were also too large and sometimes a little unorganized.

I have already learned Japanese in a classroom environment to JLPT N5 level before, and the Sheffield Method failed to meet my expectations. For those who enjoy it, Godspeed.

As I have a job and can fund myself, I have a bit more freedom than most of you when it comes to shaping my future. I therefore decided to withdraw and get my tuition fees refunded in order to attend an institution elsewhere.

I also disagree that the post I previously had to remove was entirely negative. While it may have been too honest, the remarks about Dobson and Conrad were positive. Japanese Politics, in particular, was one of the more well-taught modules I came across during my time spent in higher education.
Reply 523
How did people find the mid-term tests?^^
The listening was way way easier than I thought it would be but the written test was trickier than I expected.
Kanji ... was fine but I realised after I put 八日 as よおか rather than ようか >_<;;
Reply 524
Ash - you realise there's a Facebook group, right? This place has pretty much been abandoned by the current year's students but there's a huge weeaboo ****fest going on in the group if you're wanting to talk about the course.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/163901023664195/
Reply 525
Original post by RedTide
Ash - you realise there's a Facebook group, right? This place has pretty much been abandoned by the current year's students but there's a huge weeaboo ****fest going on in the group if you're wanting to talk about the course.
http://www.facebook.com/groups/163901023664195/

Oh thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending