The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cpdavis
:woo:

Also, they are quite flexible if you just miss any of the grades, so it's a really good insurance too :smile:

I like this. Do you think they have any leniency regarding STEP grades?
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple

What's Kings? they don't look at STEP grades :nah:

If the system works like I think it does, then the only universities which can see your STEP grades would be those listed on the form-Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Bath and Bristol. :smile:
Has anybody heard anything from Durham yet? They are supposed to ''email all applicants to request UMS marks for all mathematics modules taken so far'' but they haven't emailed me yet. I'd have thought they'd have done that by now, as I applied like a month ago. Also, anyone been there? is it nice?
Original post by dom bradbury
Has anybody heard anything from Durham yet? They are supposed to ''email all applicants to request UMS marks for all mathematics modules taken so far'' but they haven't emailed me yet. I'd have thought they'd have done that by now, as I applied like a month ago. Also, anyone been there? is it nice?

I applied at the beginning of October, and only have the acknowledgement so far :/ It's painfully annoying
Original post by cpdavis
What's Kings?

What do you mean? :confused:

I've heard about that too. Last year they didn't even bother asking me for my module marks, and then just sent a rejection in February :rofl:
Original post by ben-smith
YESSSSSSSS! Offer from Kings!

Congratulations!!!!!!! :woo: :biggrin: :woo:

So I am now officially the one without any offers :cry: Give it another week or two and I expect to get the first of a string of rejection letters...
What do you mean? :confused:

Kings don't receive your STEP grades, only unis that use them.
Reply 3029
Original post by hassi94
I applied for Maths w/ Economics at LSE - straight maths everywhere else. They say they don't expect you to mention economics at all in your personal statement since they know you may well be applying for straight maths at all your other universities. I didn't even slightly mention it.

Are you sure that they expect this way? Do you have the source for this info please?

thanks
Original post by Beth1234

So I am now officially the one without any offers :cry: Give it another week or two and I expect to get the first of a string of rejection letters...

No, i have no offers either :rolleyes: Too much waiting for my liking.
Original post by Beth1234

awww, thank you:biggrin:
Original post by Jampolo
No, i have no offers either :rolleyes: Too much waiting for my liking.

Where have you been?!
Where have you been?!

loool, so much **** has been happening in my life lately, so not been on here, but im back :colone:
Hey, i've got an interview in manchester university on the 17th november, does anybody know what type of things they will ask? :smile:
Original post by Jampolo
loool, so much **** has been happening in my life lately, so not been on here, but im back :colone:

Standard :smile: You think you got it bad, my UCAS hasn't even been processed yet LOL.
Original post by hassi94
I applied for Maths w/ Economics at LSE - straight maths everywhere else. They say they don't expect you to mention economics at all in your personal statement since they know you may well be applying for straight maths at all your other universities. I didn't even slightly mention it.

Lol srsly?????

I spoke to the admissions tutor on an open day and I asked if I could get away with not mentioning any economics since I planned/and chose similar courses as you. Just paraphrasing, he said it would be detrimental since you still need to demonstrate interest and acknowledge the 25% economics... I know several success stories (i.e. Oxford or Cambridge offers and LSE offers) and they said that they mentioned a topic related to economics and linked it to a field of mathematics AT THE VERY LEAST in their PS. Of course the PS is only one part of the admissions process so it might be possible to get away with it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by mpc1
Are you sure that they expect this way? Do you have the source for this info please?

thanks

Well honestly the official word is that you should write about both. But from last year - I talked to a lot of people on TSR who got an offer and none of them mentioned economics on their PS :smile:
Reply 3038
Original post by jameswhughes
If the system works like I think it does, then the only universities which can see your STEP grades would be those listed on the form-Cambridge, Oxford, Warwick, Imperial, Bath and Bristol. :smile:

My tutor at UCL knew that me and another lad in my tutorial group had taken STEP.
Original post by Piisbetterthantau
Lol srsly?????

I spoke to the admissions tutor on an open day and I asked if I could get away with not mentioning any economics since I planned/and chose similar courses as you. Just paraphrasing, he said it would be detrimental since you still need to demonstrate interest and acknowledge the 25% economics... I know several success stories (i.e. Oxford or Cambridge offers and LSE offers) and they said that they mentioned a topic related to economics and linked it to a field of mathematics AT THE VERY LEAST in their PS. Of course the PS is only one part of the admissions process so it might be possible to get away with it.

Yeah as I just mentioned to MPC1 that's the official word but I saw many TSRians last year who received offers with no mention of economics.

Latest