The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

If it's any help I'm exactly the same with behaviour management/confidence. Trying my best but it's really not easy! Thinking I might just have to suck it up now, try my hardest for the rest of placement but not beat myself up, and go into placement 2 in January hard as nails (though it's a girls grammar I'm going to so won't need to be too harsh!!)
Original post by noodles!
If it's any help I'm exactly the same with behaviour management/confidence. Trying my best but it's really not easy! Thinking I might just have to suck it up now, try my hardest for the rest of placement but not beat myself up, and go into placement 2 in January hard as nails (though it's a girls grammar I'm going to so won't need to be too harsh!!)

Well, girls can be bitchy and bear grudges for a very long time! Boys will let you have a fresh start each lesson. I don't think anybody who hasn't been there can imagine how scary teaching practice can be. Anyone who teaches and tells you they never felt scared/lonely/desperate at some time in a classroom is either lying or has a very bad memory.
Reply 482
What do they really expect from you on your first placement though? My planning is excellent apparently and I model things really well. However, I need to think about behaviour management and mini-plenaries through the lesson.

I can't help wondering how much of a natural flair you need and whether other student teachers have got 'good' or 'outstanding' on their placements. I'm having to take baby steps and it feels like they're too small for the pace of the course, I'm going to have to teach 40% in January, how on earth will I cope that that?!

Like today, I taught an Art lesson twice in one afternoon, 12 children in each. It still felt like a challenge with just 12, though I suppose I did have to teach it twice. What the appraiser didn't see was my second lesson, which was much better as I reflected on my first and identified what didn't work.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
Well, girls can be bitchy and bear grudges for a very long time! Boys will let you have a fresh start each lesson. I don't think anybody who hasn't been there can imagine how scary teaching practice can be. Anyone who teaches and tells you they never felt scared/lonely/desperate at some time in a classroom is either lying or has a very bad memory.

I went to one so I know what I'm letting myself in for :smile: won't be a piece of cake I know but compared to where I am now I'm hoping for an easier ride!
Original post by jenren22
What do they really expect from you on your first placement though? My planning is excellent apparently and I model things really well. However, I need to think about behaviour management and mini-plenaries through the lesson.

I can't help wondering how much of a natural flair you need and whether other student teachers have got 'good' or 'outstanding' on their placements. I'm having to take baby steps and it feels like they're too small for the pace of the course, I'm going to have to teach 40% in January, how on earth will I cope that that?!

Like today, I taught an Art lesson twice in one afternoon, 12 children in each. It still felt like a challenge with just 12, though I suppose I did have to teach it twice. What the appraiser didn't see was my second lesson, which was much better as I reflected on my first and identified what didn't work.

I know the feeling, you never see another trainee do you? I was told I'm in the upper end of average when I asked my mentor, she said she's seen some people who just didn't have a clue, and the odd one who just got it straight away. I can believe that I guess.

I'm on 40% already, it's pretty tiring! But not unmanageable. Wondering how I'm going to go beyond it though!
I went to one so I know what I'm letting myself in for :smile: won't be a piece of cake I know but compared to where I am now I'm hoping for an easier ride!

Well, chances are it will be easier because a) you'll have the experience of your present place to draw on and b) universities tend to give you one placement that's tougher than the other to make things fair!

When I did my first teaching practice, one pupil had fatally knifed another in the playground 6 months before. My experience was so horrific that the university took the school off its list immediately after I left and nobody else went there subsequently.... My second placement was the world's cushiest grammar school, but I'd damn well earned it!
Teaching my first lesson tomorrow, I'm looking forward to having a little control!

Secondary is SO different to primary! I've just been reading all your posts! x
Original post by jenren22

Good luck for your 40% teaching placement. If your planning is top form, and you are good at modeling, I am sure you'll be absolutely fine. :smile:

I have to teach three lessons during my prelim placement [now] - got one next week, two the week after. So far, I've only supervised the class once they are on task, or taught little groups. Consequently, the three lessons are enough to scare me. :redface: That said, I have to teach 65% of the time on my January placement [which ups to 80% on the subsequent one]. My teacher has given me various bits of medium term planning, but it is very confusing as there isn't really one plan and the school like to use things like Hamilton Trust, plus various other schemes and a county council provided scheme. I was overwhelmed today, I must say. :colondollar:
Two weeks in to my secondary placement and I'm devising a scheme of work for GCSE..it's taking forever :/ I've only got to teach another 14hours in the next 2.5 weeks, but then I'm on to 10hours a week until Jan, where is increases to 15hours per week.
All of the PGCEs sound so different,there are ATs from different universities at my placement, and we all have such varying tasks/hours.

Hows everyone finding the academic side of the course?
I just want to get stuck in with school, not writing essays :s-smilie:
Reply 489
I know the feeling, you never see another trainee do you? I was told I'm in the upper end of average when I asked my mentor, she said she's seen some people who just didn't have a clue, and the odd one who just got it straight away. I can believe that I guess.

I'm on 40% already, it's pretty tiring! But not unmanageable. Wondering how I'm going to go beyond it though!

I was lucky and got to see a few other trainees as part of my improvement plan when I was really struggling, for exactly the same reasons as you. It really boosted my confidence because, surprise, surprise they were having the same problems as well!! They were just dealing with it better! It gave me loads of ideas and I remember that the main one was just to chill out. I was getting stressed when my techniques for getting the class' weren't working. Instead I just chilled out, sat on a chair and waited until they shut up and it worked. Ha.
Original post by Becca
I was lucky and got to see a few other trainees as part of my improvement plan when I was really struggling, for exactly the same reasons as you. It really boosted my confidence because, surprise, surprise they were having the same problems as well!! They were just dealing with it better! It gave me loads of ideas and I remember that the main one was just to chill out. I was getting stressed when my techniques for getting the class' weren't working. Instead I just chilled out, sat on a chair and waited until they shut up and it worked. Ha.

Ooh might have to try that... always partially considered just sitting down and putting my feet up on the desk, or just randomly sitting cross legged in the middle of the floor or something. How long did it take them to shut up?
Reply 491
Ooh might have to try that... always partially considered just sitting down and putting my feet up on the desk, or just randomly sitting cross legged in the middle of the floor or something. How long did it take them to shut up?

It varies from class to class (I use this technique ALL the time now, it's an amazing voice saver and it stops me from getting too stressed out. Used it several times today!). Some classes take an ages and I used to get panicky but it does work. You just have to stand or sit there looking at them silently and breathing slowly! Arms folded helps a lot as well because that tells them "not impressed!"
I tried to stay at school and plan, I just couldn't do it. I need to get focused. It's nearly 10pm and I have no immediate work due in for tomorrow. Going to mark one or two books and have an early night me thinks :biggrin:
Original post by *Sparkle*
I tried to stay at school and plan, I just couldn't do it. I need to get focused. It's nearly 10pm and I have no immediate work due in for tomorrow. Going to mark one or two books and have an early night me thinks :biggrin:

My friend and I have been leaving school at 3.30pm. I have done a lot of work at home, but I work better that way. At home, I can do things at my own rate, with music/TV/food/company to go alongside it. At school, I feel a bit more under pressure. :smile:

To be fair, I think a lot of the teaching staff are the same though at my school. They seem to leave by around 4pm and do things at home instead. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
My friend and I have been leaving school at 3.30pm. I have done a lot of work at home, but I work better that way. At home, I can do things at my own rate, with music/TV/food/company to go alongside it. At school, I feel a bit more under pressure. :smile:

To be fair, I think a lot of the teaching staff are the same though at my school. They seem to leave by around 4pm and do things at home instead. :smile:

I tell myself I work better at home. Can't say I've honestly tried to plan at school. I get loads done during my frees at school but somehow once its gone 3.15 I can't wait to get away. I will do a lot tomorrow though, I have three free's and I will stay as late as poss. I want a weekend doing NOTHING. I want to sleep all day Saturday and not feel guilty about it :tongue:
Original post by *Sparkle*
I tell myself I work better at home. Can't say I've honestly tried to plan at school. I get loads done during my frees at school but somehow once its gone 3.15 I can't wait to get away. I will do a lot tomorrow though, I have three free's and I will stay as late as poss. I want a weekend doing NOTHING. I want to sleep all day Saturday and not feel guilty about it :tongue:

Fair enough. :biggrin:

Having free periods is pretty good. I'm with the children all day, although I know primary teachers get PPA time, so perhaps I'll get that when I am teaching the majority of the time. :smile:

I'm trying to learn to drive, so I've got a 2 hour lesson on Saturday morning. Kind of wish it wasn't happening, but I know it will be worth it in the end. :redface:
Hooray, I;ve just finished writing a 3,000 word report on my last two weeks of placement. And so bed at half-midnight when I get home, up at 6 to travel down A14 hell.

I'm not going to be very awake tomorrow morning. Thank goodness for PG Tips.

And, yes, the children do make this all worth it.
Reply 497
Original post by affinity89
Fair enough. :biggrin:

Having free periods is pretty good. I'm with the children all day, although I know primary teachers get PPA time, so perhaps I'll get that when I am teaching the majority of the time. :smile:

I'm trying to learn to drive, so I've got a 2 hour lesson on Saturday morning. Kind of wish it wasn't happening, but I know it will be worth it in the end. :redface:

It's not only Primary teachers who get PPA time, Secondary get them too. It's time that essentially the school cannot force you to give up to do other things - they can ask for example to go on a fieldtrip that day or covering a lesson which would mean you giving up PPA but they can't force you to.

This is not the same as 'Frees' which some schools may require you to use as cover lessons.

Being an NQT is quite nice as I only have 1 day in a 2 week timetable in which I teach every period; I will miss all these frees next year!! But at the same time, I will not have as much planning to do :redface:
Original post by dobbs
It's not only Primary teachers who get PPA time, Secondary get them too. It's time that essentially the school cannot force you to give up to do other things - they can ask for example to go on a fieldtrip that day or covering a lesson which would mean you giving up PPA but they can't force you to.

This is not the same as 'Frees' which some schools may require you to use as cover lessons.

Being an NQT is quite nice as I only have 1 day in a 2 week timetable in which I teach every period; I will miss all these frees next year!! But at the same time, I will not have as much planning to do :redface:

Oh, I know that secondary teachers get PPA too. :smile: I just meant, that is something I'd have as a primary teacher, as [of course] a full time primary teacher very, very rarely has frees. :smile:

My school training centre coordinator said that NQTs are meant to get the equivalent of a morning/afternoon off as well as the PPA time. But, he told us not to expect it as most schools cannot afford to let their NQTs have it. Would be great if I got a job where I did though, just to ease into things a little more. [If I go on to be a teacher, that is, as I'm not sure I actually want to lol.]
Woohoo, my first observation went amazingly! Obviously, there are things I can improve on (when isn't there!) The kids we SO good and really enjoyed it. I'm so pleased as I put quite a lot of prep work into it.

Spending my Friday night planning numeracy for next week! I really want a price gun for my grocery role-play but not sure how to sneakily get one. May have to call in a few favours. :tongue:

Hope placements are going well for all, my placement partner hasn't enjoyed this week and it's been tough to see her so down, I've tried my best to cheer her up and she did seem much happier today so hopefully she is on track.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending