The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Have realised that I have spent the last 7 weeks or so almost solely doing gastro, only 5 weeks left of this rotation and still have endo, renal and urology to cover. Plus I can't be arsed to do my SSC.
Original post by SabreT
Just the different subunit types and what binds to what subunit etc. If they ever tried to make us learn the concoctions are I'd swiftly concede defeat with medicine.

by which do you mean knowing the drugs which offer (some degree of)* subtype selectivity? e.g. hexamethonium on Nn vs suxamethonium on Nm?
I seem to care far more about rowing than I do medicine...

**** off PBL write-up
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

**** off PBL write-up

I got told I would fail 2nd year if I didn't stop rowing.

I was 1% off a first and actually got a first in the subject of the tutor who told me that. :p:

Shame that my crew really achieved very little beyond liver damage and social embarassment that year...
Original post by Helenia
I got told I would fail 2nd year if I didn't stop rowing.

I was 1% off a first and actually got a first in the subject of the tutor who told me that. :p:

Shame that my crew really achieved very little beyond liver damage and social embarassment that year...

You showed him/her :colone:

Bit of a shame but you make liver damage sound like a bad thing :ninja:

Well ok it is... but the process of drinking and associated activities makes it worthwhile atm :yep:
rowed at uni 1st viii level for a few years, it's definitely doable until clinicals!
Quick question about referencing:

Part of the PBL write-up I have to describe the anatomy of the skin... I'll reference the image i'll use but do I need to reference the descriptions of the various layers?

I'm guessing not but thought it'd be best to check just in case..
Reply 6547
I wouldn't bother with referencing common facts describing anatomy.
Is there a physical limit to how much chocolate it is possible for one person to eat?
Like if i didnt throw up first?
Original post by fairy spangles
Is there a physical limit to how much chocolate it is possible for one person to eat?

I'm sure there's some limit related to how much glucose you can tolerate... Surely it's possible to completely overwhelm your pancreas if you really tried?
Original post by Becca-Sarah
Surely it's possible to completely overwhelm your pancreas if you really tried?

Sounds like a challenge if I've ever heard one.
Starting to get stressed because I've done literally no work and everyone's studying their butts off - I'm in first year, by the way.

Just wanted to tell someone :P If I told family, they'd be all disappointed /Asian. If I told uni peeps, they'd think I'm lying /typical_medschool_crap.
Original post by fairy spangles

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QI_(B_series)

Lethal dosage of chocolate = 22lb. :biggrin:

(I know I don't belong here, it's just interesting to see what you all get up to in a borderline-stalkerish way...) :ninja:
Reply 6553
Original post by John Locke
by which do you mean knowing the drugs which offer (some degree of)* subtype selectivity? e.g. hexamethonium on Nn vs suxamethonium on Nm?

Stuff like nicotinic ACh receptor has 5 subunits (2 alpha etc) and ACh binds to alpha subunits and induces allosteric change etc. We need to know about a few channel inhibitors like curare and their mechanisms. Fortunately, there's no pharmacology until next year.
Original post by Penguinsaysquack

**** off PBL write-up

Hello rival rower.
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
Sounds like a challenge if I've ever heard one.

Agreed.....
I feel sick after eating half a tin (yes a tin) of celebrations last night.
Made me feel better though.
Original post by Jessaay!
Hello rival rower.

Hello :colone:

Are the RUMS fresher rowers ready to be beaten by BL?

[insert friendly banter here]
Original post by SabreT
Stuff like nicotinic ACh receptor has 5 subunits (2 alpha etc) and ACh binds to alpha subunits and induces allosteric change etc. We need to know about a few channel inhibitors like curare and their mechanisms. Fortunately, there's no pharmacology until next year.

i see, but there are at least 6 different well characterised combinations of subunit so i really don't see the point unless you're doing the 'vanilla' NmAChR as an example, but even then... surely you dont do them all? also i hope you don't learn that ACh binds to alpha subunits as that isn't even completely true, actually the interface between alpha subunits and others - and even that is is heavily dependent on which nicotinic subtype you mean as there are many different stochiometries (cf [alpha7]5 vs NnAChR) which reflect composition and not all even have crystal structures so are mostly presumed. also seems silly to learn that level of structural detail without decent pharm coverage at all, quite a disparity!

so all in all very pointless IMO :p:
Reply 6558
Original post by John Locke
i see, but there are at least 6 different well characterised combinations of subunit so i really don't see the point unless you're doing the 'vanilla' NmAChR as an example, but even then... surely you dont do them all? also i hope you don't learn that ACh binds to alpha subunits as that isn't even completely true, actually the interface between alpha subunits and others - and even that is is heavily dependent on which nicotinic subtype you mean as there are many different stochiometries (cf [alpha7]5 vs NnAChR) which reflect composition and not all even have crystal structures so are mostly presumed. also seems silly to learn that level of structural detail without decent pharm coverage at all, quite a disparity!

so all in all very pointless IMO :p:

Im guessing we'll have all 6 done by the end of the year. We went through the muscular Ach receptor today. And yes, we do learn that ACh binds to alpha subunits, our lecturer said that just today. But this stuff is incredibly detailed so luckily they cut it down. Still a lot of nonsense though.

If you weren't posting here i'd have thought that you were a biochemist. How on earth do you know about all this stuff?
Wednesday to Thursday evening. Hardest 24 hours of my life. :/

Latest

Trending

Trending