The Student Room Group

Geography interview?

I don't know if this is the write forum but anyway.

Basically at uni I'm thinking of taking geography. I just wanted
to know whether uni's ask for an interview. Sorry if this is a silly question.
FakeName12345

It's a not a silly question at all. Welcome to the forum. :smile:

With the obvious exception of Oxbridge, by and large universities tend not to interview. However, this does differ from university to university, and once you've drawn up a shortlist it can be worth checking their websites to see if they list any further information about the admissions procedure.

I seem to recall that when I applied I was interviewed by one of my five choices (Essex), and that came as a surprise. It was absolutely fine though, and anxiousness about interviews really shouldn't influence your decision as to where to apply.

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 2
FakeName12345

Obviously you are going to be a geography student rather than a geologist, with a typo like that! :p:
I doubt any geography department in any uni could be bothered interviewing people, it's generally a free for all once you get the results.
It is not competitive enough to get into to merit an interview.
Reply 3
Oxbridge interview pretty much all home applicants they are seriously considering.

My Cambridge interview was mostly interested in testing my ability to think through problems, and in discussing my Geography interests / reading. So they asked me a bit about some of the geographical issues I'd mentioned in my PS, and then we basically just had a chat about the points raised and why exactly I had been reading about them. Then they moved from that to discussing an issue which I guess they were using as standard for all the applicants (climate change, which was relatively boring and obvious), they asked a few questions of me about that, and then finally presented me with a graph and some information and asked me to suggest possible explanations for a trend in the graph (it was of CO2 concentration, and had a sort of wiggle in the general upward trend around the mid-1970s). As far as I could tell, this was meant to be the real poser and they weren't so much interested in the candidate getting the right answer (if there even was one; I still don't know, and I've graduated now!) as the process of thought I went through trying to answer it.

With hindsight, it was rather like a Cambridge supervision - a chat about a few particular issues, with some leading questions asked to keep the discussion moving, and then tougher point to tackle at the end. Wasn't nearly as scary as I'd thought it would be.
WEll~ Your guys are more lucky than me~I really want to study Geo in Cam but I fail my AS test only got 78%.:frown: But I still apllied it ~ And now waiting for interview invite. I didi not place a great hope to it...
Reply 5
I have a geography interview on the 7th for cambridge I am so nervous it's unreal
Which college?
Original post by karenina_chen
WEll~ Your guys are more lucky than me~I really want to study Geo in Cam but I fail my AS test only got 78%.:frown: But I still apllied it ~ And now waiting for interview invite. I didi not place a great hope to it...

You don't deserve a place at any university with a score of 78%.
Original post by Helpful_Charlie
You don't deserve a place at any university with a score of 78%.

Well.. In fact I still received offers form Bristol and Kings.:wink:
Original post by karenina_chen
Well.. In fact I still received offers form Bristol and Kings.:wink:

congratz, whats your preference out of those two?
Original post by Sadsnail
I have a geography interview on the 7th for cambridge I am so nervous it's unreal

Hi,

Sorry, I know this thread goes a long way back.

Firstly, hope you are enjoying your time in Cambridge.

I was wondering, what tips would you give for interviews for geography? I'm applying as post A2 student :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending