The Student Room Group

St Georges Medicine Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Facticity

Original post by Facticity
If you mention a particular work experience in your PS or application i.e. on the Work EXP form, then you must have a referee and contact details. They do not accept it if they don't have referee details as they randomly call a bunch of them. I don't know what would happen if you had mentioned the one's that wouldn't give you a reference but suffice to say, the worst that would happen is that you have 2 work experiences which I would say is good enough - as long as they were of a good length and well related to medicine.

Btw, I know EXACTLY what you mean about St. John's ambulance. My leader wouldn't give me a reference and so I had to contact the brigade chief who had never heard of me and was against giving a reference for someone he had never met. But I put forward a good case stating how I had been coming long term, done training, the joining application (which my division chief, who was there when I first joined and left after a bit, lost completely hence why he had never heard of me) and had members to vouch for me and my division supported me (it was small). He then decided to give me be my referee and needless to say, without it, I don't know if I would have made it :tongue: I would say push for it :yes:

How can no one at the care home not remember you? I would really try. Maybe even find evidence you did it. Did you do it with/during school calender? The school may be able to vouch/help you.

No one knows. Most likely the overall score.

Thanks for replying :smile: I've definitely got 2 references now. St John Ambulance absolutely refuse to give me a reference and since I'm relatively new there, I can't exactly push the matter. Also, I wrote in my PS about a week's work experience I did in a care home in 2010. It was arranged by my secondary school which I no longer attend and I don't think I have any evidence :frown: I didn't write when I did it though and whilst I might be able to get a reference if they've still got me on file, I don't know if St George's will be impressed that I wrote about something from ages ago... :s-smilie:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 81
Original post by cbacba

Original post by cbacba
Thanks for replying :smile: I've definitely got 2 references now. St John Ambulance absolutely refuse to give me a reference and since I'm relatively new there, I can't exactly push the matter. Also, I wrote in my PS about a week's work experience I did in a care home in 2010. It was arranged by my secondary school which I no longer attend and I don't think I have any evidence :frown: I didn't write when I did it though and whilst I might be able to get a reference if they've still got me on file, I don't know if St George's will be impressed that I wrote about something from ages ago... :s-smilie:

Well if you're relatively new, I understand them. They are wary because they get used by med applicants aha :tongue:
Well SGUL asks everyone who gets an interview to bring some documents among which is a work experience sheet which asks for validation and referee details of every piece of work experience you claim to have done. I don't know what will happen if you can't provide for all 4. I would keep trying and in the event that you get an interview but still cannot get a reference, then I would suggest you call them.

Just wait for now. :smile:
Reply 82
I applied 4 medical schools, got knowledgement from 3 universities, but not a word from SGUL. Did anyone hear anything from SGUL?
Reply 83
Original post by ukmed108

I applied 4 medical schools, got knowledgement from 3 universities, but not a word from SGUL. Did anyone hear anything from SGUL?

I didn't hear back from them until like december time. It doesn't matter when your acknowledged, I know its a hard wait but, your chances aren't affected so try not to worry too much about it :redface:
Reply 84

I sent my application on the 10th of October and got a acknowledgement on the 17th

I sent mine on the 15th and haven't heard anything yet.
Original post by manupalace
I sent mine on the 15th and haven't heard anything yet.

That would have been past the deadline
Reply 87
Original post by existinggirl

Original post by existinggirl
That would have been past the deadline

No it wouldn't. The deadline is the 15th. UCAS wouldn't accept it, if it was over the deadline.
Reply 88
Any idea when St Georges are going to release their UKCAT cut off score?

Good Luck to everyone with their applications!
Reply 89
Anyone got interview invite? last year interviews started beginning of November !
Reply 90
Original post by kim93

Original post by kim93
Anyone got interview invite? last year interviews started beginning of November !

Don't expect them to come in order. A lot of the time interviews are distributed ahead of time. I remember I got given an interview in October for February aha. And I know someone who got an interview there in last week of Feb for a week later in March. The waiting sucks I know, but its all a waiting game with fingers crossed the entire time :yes:
I just got an email: their cut off point is 625 (2500) with a minimum of 500 in each of the four sections
Reply 92
yey met the cut off , fingers crossed for an interview!
Reply 93
I met the cut off :smile: So that is good!!! Good luck to everyone in their interviews.
Reply 94
I dont remember, but hopefully someone else will.

In the prospectus, did it guarantee an interview if you meet A Level, GCSE, and ukcat requirements. I think it did, but am unsure. Hopefully it means that.
Reply 95
Uh oh. We need references for work experience? From the doctors we worked with? What sort of info would they want?
Reply 96
Got interview offer today, Dec 8th :biggrin:
Reply 97
Original post by zmzm
Uh oh. We need references for work experience? From the doctors we worked with? What sort of info would they want?

Check out their website
http://www.sgul.ac.uk/undergraduate/mbbs-5-year-course/work-experience-requirements
Reply 98
anyone else find a typo in their email???
first one to post gets a happy face :smile:
Original post by kim93
Got interview offer today, Dec 8th :biggrin:

Well done! :biggrin: good luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending