The Student Room Group

Meteorology / Climate Science Applicants Thread :D 2012 entry (2013 deferred entry)

Hi there :biggrin:

Just thought I'd start up a thread for people applying to meteorology or climate science courses...

I am applying to Leeds, UEA, Reading, Liverpool and Edinburgh
My prefered course is Meteorology & Climate
And I'm predicted AAB (Maths, History, Physics)

I have recieved acknowledgements from all except Leeds, anyone got an offer yet?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i'm applying to:

Reading
Leeds (Environmental Science not the met course though as they won't let me without Physics)
UEA

predicted A*AB

and my school are still processing my application so nothing yet!
Reply 2
I've applied for:
Reading
UEA
Leeds
Liverpool
and had offers from the bottom three with a chance to go to an interview and have the required entry grades dropped. Has anyone heard anything from Reading yet?
I'm glad you all believe climate change exists... I'm shocked to see the number of people in the word and on TSR who think it doesn't happen from global warming by humans.

Learn and educate them you great applicants :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Tommeo
I've applied for:
Reading
UEA
Leeds
Liverpool
and had offers from the bottom three with a chance to go to an interview and have the required entry grades dropped. Has anyone heard anything from Reading yet?

I am the same :smile:
I have had offers from Leeds, UEA and Liverpool but have only been acknowledged by Reading.

When did you apply?
Reply 5
I'VE APPLIED
However as of yet i've had nothing back from any of the uni's, but it's early days, i didn't send it off that long ago!
what are you all predicted?
Original post by theBLOBlizard
Hi there :biggrin:

Just thought I'd start up a thread for people applying to meteorology or climate science courses...

I am applying to Leeds, UEA, Reading, Liverpool and Edinburgh
My prefered course is Meteorology & Climate
And I'm predicted AAB (Maths, History, Physics)

I have recieved acknowledgements from all except Leeds, anyone got an offer yet?

I was thinking of applying for meteorology but there seem to be hardly any universities that offer it in the Uk :frown:. So I've decided to apply for Maths and might do something to do with meteorology at postgrad (possibly in the US).
Reply 7
Original post by laughylolly
I was thinking of applying for meteorology but there seem to be hardly any universities that offer it in the Uk :frown:. So I've decided to apply for Maths and might do something to do with meteorology at postgrad (possibly in the US).

there's 4 uni's (reading, uea, leeds, edinborough) then liverpool does oceans climate and physical geography recongised by the royal met society :smile: its worth it, just apply to some met and some maths, that's what i'd do if i was in your situation!
Also they offer the year abroad course if you have the right grades :smile: what are you predicted?
Reply 8
oh my gosh my spelling of edinburgh is dreadful D:!
Reply 9
Which university do people want as thier firm choice?? I'm hoping Leeds :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by allybear
I'VE APPLIED
However as of yet i've had nothing back from any of the uni's, but it's early days, i didn't send it off that long ago!
what are you all predicted?

AAB in Maths, History and Physics
Original post by allybear
there's 4 uni's (reading, uea, leeds, edinborough) then liverpool does oceans climate and physical geography recongised by the royal met society :smile: its worth it, just apply to some met and some maths, that's what i'd do if i was in your situation!
Also they offer the year abroad course if you have the right grades :smile: what are you predicted?

I've already applied to 5 unis for just maths so, a little late now "/ I'm not sure what I'm predicted, they don't tell you at my school. I suspect AAA or AAB at advanced higher though.
Reply 12
I am the same :smile:
I have had offers from Leeds, UEA and Liverpool but have only been acknowledged by Reading.

When did you apply?

Must have been mid October and I heard back from the three within a couple of days with offers but as of yet nothing from reading :/ Its still early days though :smile: When did you apply?

Tom
Reply 13
Original post by Tommeo
Must have been mid October and I heard back from the three within a couple of days with offers but as of yet nothing from reading :/ Its still early days though :smile: When did you apply?

Tom

About two weeks ago, but yeah its still early days :smile: which uni do you want as your firm?
Reply 14
About two weeks ago, but yeah its still early days :smile: which uni do you want as your firm?

Really want to go to Reading especially on the four year with a year in Oklahoma, hopefully be able to gain some contacts and move out their after asap :smile: . u?
Reply 15
Original post by Tommeo
Really want to go to Reading especially on the four year with a year in Oklahoma, hopefully be able to gain some contacts and move out their after asap :smile: . u?

I'm more for Leeds. (I'm a northener at heart so am hoping to go up there) But I am definately putting Reading as my insurance (if I get an offer that is)

I liked the sound of the year in Oklahoma, but I thought it was a little bit out of reach with my predicted grades just hitting the requirements :/
Reply 16
I'm more for Leeds. (I'm a northener at heart so am hoping to go up there) But I am definately putting Reading as my insurance (if I get an offer that is)

I liked the sound of the year in Oklahoma, but I thought it was a little bit out of reach with my predicted grades just hitting the requirements :/

Hahahha, are you going to Leeds' visit day? if so, i'll see you there :smile: And yeah, im hoping my grades will make the cut, or failing that my work experiences may be enough to lower it. :/ We'll have to see :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Tommeo
Hahahha, are you going to Leeds' visit day? if so, i'll see you there :smile: And yeah, im hoping my grades will make the cut, or failing that my work experiences may be enough to lower it. :/ We'll have to see :smile:

Yeah I'm going, don't know which one yet though :P Where did you do your work experiance? I never got the chance to do any...
Reply 18
Yeah I'm going, don't know which one yet though :P Where did you do your work experiance? I never got the chance to do any...

Yeah, I've got an optional interview thing next week, quite nerve-racking, yeah because i've been interested for a long time, I managed to secure a place at the met office in July which was incredible :biggrin: and at the BBC working with/for the weather presenters back in april which was a really good insight.

But i tried literally everywhere before i got these placements ... ECMWF, Netweather, Fugro Geos in Wallingford and Meteogroup in London, Weathernet in Bournemouth and even the WMO in geneva, Switzerland.
Took a while and lots of practise but got finally a place at the Met Office. :biggrin: Still well worth trying to get work experience, the more the merrier :biggrin:
Good Luck
Tom
im applying to: Reading, UEA, leeds.
havnt got the FOGgiest (please dont kill me for my poor joke !) idea what i was predicted :tongue: i would guess somewhere around AAA :smile:
recieved offers from leeds and UEA and meteorology and mathematics at reading......still waiting to see if they will give me an offer for my preferred reading course :P

Quick Reply

Latest