The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Colonel.
I cried at the Fox and the Hound.

Also at the end of One Day (the book, not the movie).

Probably a few other times as well.

I cried at both of those too. In fact, I haven't watched the Fox and the Hound since I was a kid because I just remember getting really upset xD Up and The Last Unicorn get me pretty bad too.

Anyways, I haven't been on here in a while, I haven't seen anything of note lately cos I've been busy with starting uni. Although I did get everyone to watch Tangled and it was mostly enjoyed :biggrin:
No, I was talking bad about MacGruber. I don't give a **** what Batman does in his free time.

wtf, why you talking reckless about MacGruber bruh?

Was it the puerile humour? If so, fair enough but I love that type of comedy.
Original post by Jingers
wtf, why you talking reckless about MacGruber bruh?

Was it the puerile humour? If so, fair enough but I love that type of comedy.

Puerile humour is fine, I just thought that it wasn't good humour of any sort. Abysmal film, but each to their own.
W. C. Fields was originally chosen for the role of the Wizard, but the studio ran out of patience after protracted haggling over his fee; instead, another contract player, Frank Morgan, was cast on September 22. According to Aljean Harmetz, when the wardrobe department was looking for a coat for Morgan, they decided that they wanted a once elegant coat that had "gone to seed". They went to a second-hand shop and purchased a whole rack of coats, from which Morgan, the head of the wardrobe department and director Fleming chose one they thought had the perfect appearance of shabby gentility. One day, while he was on set wearing the coat, Morgan turned out one of the pockets and discovered a label indicating that the coat had once belonged to Oz author L. Frank Baum. Mary Mayer, a unit publicist for the film, contacted the tailor and Baum's widow, who both verified that the coat had indeed once belonged to the writer. After filming was completed, the coat was presented to Mrs. Baum.

Well, that's made my day.
Reply 4784
The Greatest Movie Ever Sold wasn't as impressive as I'd been hoping for. The expose of marketing and advertising within film and entertainment was good in that it showed the methods that allow it to take place, but it didn't really offer any new insight or anything particularly surprising.

Spurlock's Supersize Me was good precisely because it showed the extent of how unhealthy eating McDonald's can be, whereas The Greatest Movie Ever Sold only really served to remind us that product placement is rampant everywhere in film, t.v., the media and everyday life. Almost everyone knew that - much like the fact that McDonald's is unhealthy - and I was expecting more of an exploration of the techniques used in subliminal advertising (as an example), which was touched on in the film. Supersize Me was good because of the research it offered, whereas The Greatest Movie Ever Sold was more about transparency on a basic level.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahh, what's the movie in which Kevin Spacey thinks he's an alien called??
American Beauty.
Original post by sheep_go_baa
Ahh, what's the movie in which Kevin Spacey thinks he's an alien called??

K-Pax, pretty odd but interesting film.

2012's gonna be such a good year for film. omg
I think it's this one:

Reply 4789
First use of properly earned income: just pre-ordered this. :awesome: I've been interested in it ever since someone on here mentioned it to me a couple of years ago (I might go and dig up who it was to thank them). Feels good. :biggrin:

EDIT: Found it:

Hogso
Juliette Binoche - Trois Couleurs Bleu
One of the best female lead performances in all of cinema I'd wager

Thanks. :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lukejoshjedi
K-Pax, pretty odd but interesting film.

That's the one, thanks :h:

Original post by Madjackismad
I think it's this one:

Spoiler

:ahee:
Reply 4791
Just saw Grave of the Fireflies for the first time. So good.
Reply 4792
Original post by Abiraleft
First use of properly earned income: just pre-ordered this. :awesome: I've been interested in it ever since someone on here mentioned it to me a couple of years ago (I might go and dig up who it was to thank them). Feels good. :biggrin:

EDIT: Found it:

Thanks. :h:

Bleu is still my favourite film
Just watched The Square on Film4. Pretty decent film, but I've been wanting to mention the Edgerton brothers for a while, who in my opinion are brilliant. Looking forward to more of their future work.
Reply 4794
The Descendants is getting great early reviews. I hadn't heard of it until now. :beard:
Reply 4795
I just watched The Room. It was an experience.
Reply 4796
Original post by Pi!
I just watched The Room. It was an experience.

I said on here ages ago that I would watch it, but my friend who has a copy of it hasn't had the time. :sigh:
Film Fanatics Meet to see The Room at a proper The Room screening :awesome:
Reply 4798
Film Fanatics Meet to see The Room at a proper The Room screening :awesome:

Yes. :biggrin:
Reply 4799
Brad Pitt to quit acting fairly soon?

I suppose he now has enough clout and finances to go full-on into producing and stuff, but it's still a bit of a shame imo.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending