The Student Room Group

ACCA- just another dream :(

ACCA- just another dream
Hi guys

I’ve been crying all day, and please don’t criticise me, basically the reason why I have been crying is that I missed out an huge chance, I always wanted to become an chartered accountant, but had no idea how to come one, apart from the fact that I only knew that there was accounting degree but still people don’t become chartered accountants with BSC honour degree.

I’ve recently found out about ACCA 1 year back and now am currently studying law, I will be gradating next year but I feel terribly sad because I just wasted my time doing law, instead had it been the fact that I knew that I can become a fully qualified chartered accountant with ACCA, I would have went for this course straightaway. Am regretting every minute now, when I was in school, there was no one to guide me about my career, so I just randomly chose law. What shall I do now, if I go for ACCA now, it would take me 2-3 years to complete. I really don’t know what to do, I’ve just messed my life up. :'(

so is it possible if i can do ACCA part-time with my degree that am currently doing or will it be too difficult. thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump for ya.. seeing as i want to know this too.
Reply 2
Clearly you don't want to be a Chartered Accountant that much if you don't know how to become one...oh cry more!
You could find out more about part time if you called up the uni that did it and ask what they think about you taking it alongside a degree course. If they think it's too much, then it's not the end of the world, you can take up the course next year. Even if it takes 2-3 years, it will be worth it if it's the job you really want to do.
Original post by Naive9910
ACCA- just another dream
Hi guys

I’ve been crying all day, and please don’t criticise me, basically the reason why I have been crying is that I missed out an huge chance, I always wanted to become an chartered accountant, but had no idea how to come one, apart from the fact that I only knew that there was accounting degree but still people don’t become chartered accountants with BSC honour degree.

I’ve recently found out about ACCA 1 year back and now am currently studying law, I will be gradating next year but I feel terribly sad because I just wasted my time doing law, instead had it been the fact that I knew that I can become a fully qualified chartered accountant with ACCA, I would have went for this course straightaway. Am regretting every minute now, when I was in school, there was no one to guide me about my career, so I just randomly chose law. What shall I do now, if I go for ACCA now, it would take me 2-3 years to complete. I really don’t know what to do, I’ve just messed my life up. :'(

so is it possible if i can do ACCA part-time with my degree that am currently doing or will it be too difficult. thanks

Hey, Im a final year accounting student. and let me give you some constructive advice. I would advise you to first of all finish your law degree (a law degree on its own is hard as it is) and then do the ACCA (believe me dont underestimate ACCA exams, trust me they're difficult). since you havent got any exemptions through your degree (given your doin a law degree) you will have to do all 15 exams which should take you 2/3 years atleast (post-graduation). Through my Accounting degree, I am exhempt from 9 of the 15 ACCA exams, that said im gonna be doing a conversion course (GDL) into law. total opposite of you (life would be much easier if we could swap positions lol).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Larissa White
Hey, Im a final year accounting student. and let me give you some constructive advice. I would advise you to first of all finish your law degree (a law degree on its own is hard as it is) and then do the ACCA (believe me dont underestimate ACCA exams, trust me they're difficult). since you havent got any exemptions through your degree (given your doin a law degree) you will have to do all 15 exams which should take you 2/3 years atleast (post-graduation). Through my Accounting degree, I am exhempt from 9 of the 15 ACCA exams, that said im gonna be doing a conversion course (GDL) into law. total opposite of you (life would be much easier if we could swap positions lol).

lol u r 100% right, I wish we could swap, but why do u want to go for GDL, do you not like Accounting. Are you not good in maths or something loll
Honestly take my advice, become a chartered Accountant, what are you gonna do by doing a law course, become a lawyer, NO its virtually impossible these days, even people with first class honour degree can’t find training contracts and LPC costs £12,000, beside that the firms are not willing to offer training contracts, so don’t do it, and if you are thinking to become a barrister, that’s also very difficult since barristers only get £10,000 during the training year and also the BVC is so competitive to get in.
Reply 6
sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i have a few questions on this topic too. Is there any need to go to university to study an accounting degree even though after you are going to do ACA/ACCA anyway? University adds up to 3-4 years, so those years could be wasted rather than being in industry. My question is, is it even worth it to go to university then into ACCA/ACA, if so what are the benefits of this in comparison to just jumping into ACA.
lol u r 100% right, I wish we could swap, but why do u want to go for GDL, do you not like Accounting. Are you not good in maths or something loll
Honestly take my advice, become a chartered Accountant, what are you gonna do by doing a law course, become a lawyer, NO its virtually impossible these days, even people with first class honour degree can’t find training contracts and LPC costs £12,000, beside that the firms are not willing to offer training contracts, so don’t do it, and if you are thinking to become a barrister, that’s also very difficult since barristers only get £10,000 during the training year and also the BVC is so competitive to get in.

Lol :smile: honestly i hate accounting, i wont say im bad at maths im quite good at it, besides that, accounting also heavily focuses on other areas like business and law. I just find the course extremely boring. in most lectures i just fall asleep or start day dreaming coz its so 'dry'. Yeah I totally agree with you, the best thing for me would be to carry on pursuing a career in accountancy and become a Chartered Accountant. that said, i dont want to dedicate the rest of my career in a profession that i dont enjoy.

And yeah, ive done quite alot of research into law, and theres no doubt that competition is fierce for TC's. Im thinking of becomming a solicitor (barristers doesnt appeal to me), and planning to do GDL next year. im just hoping that some day i get a TC, but meanwhile im trying to get as much experience in the legal sector as possible. :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by myyout
sorry to hi-jack the thread, but i have a few questions on this topic too. Is there any need to go to university to study an accounting degree even though after you are going to do ACA/ACCA anyway? University adds up to 3-4 years, so those years could be wasted rather than being in industry. My question is, is it even worth it to go to university then into ACCA/ACA, if so what are the benefits of this in comparison to just jumping into ACA.

No, you can go straight for ACCA and become a Chartered Accountant. There is no need of Accounting degree and then doing ACCA , that would waste your time. Besides that, a lot of people have Accounting Degree and yet they are still not chartered Accountants, they still have to complete few more ACCA exams in order to become a chartered Accountant, so go straight for ACCA. YOU DON'T NEED ACCOUNTING DEGREE; PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE MADE.
Reply 9
Original post by yothi5
clearly you don't want to be a chartered accountant that much if you don't know how to become one...oh cry more!

if you can't advice me on anything, then please don't make stupid comments. Waste your time somewhere else, not here. Thank you.
Reply 10
I think your time and resources and any financial imperatives become relevant at this point.

Although some of the other posters are being a bit spiky, can you understand their inquiry? It does seem a little strange that having wanted to become an accountant, you decided to read Law? It's not incredibly different from saying "I always wanted to be a dentist, so I read Classics".

At this point, I suppose it's just a case of choosing a path into getting training now, or jacking it all in and doing a non-graduate route that's paid.
No, you can go straight for ACCA and become a Chartered Accountant. There is no need of Accounting degree and then doing ACCA , that would waste your time. Besides that, a lot of people have Accounting Degree and yet they are still not chartered Accountants, they still have to complete few more ACCA exams in order to become a chartered Accountant, so go straight for ACCA. YOU DON'T NEED ACCOUNTING DEGREE; PLEASE DON'T MAKE THE MISTAKE THAT ALOT OF PEOPLE HAVE MADE.

I wouldnt be quite sure, yes I agree, doing an accounting degree then the ACCA will take longer. but whatever the circumstance is, having a degree on your CV looks much better than without one. Yes I do agree that you can be a chartered accountant without a degree, but look at it from an employers point of view, who would you hire (a) someone without a degree an just having ACCA or (b) Someone with a degree as well as ACCA? you decide. also if you fail to get a TC/accounting job you can alway fall back to your degree, and go into other areas.
Reply 12
if you can't advice me on anything, then please don't make stupid comments. Waste your time somewhere else, not here. Thank you.

Sorry but I'm right.

You do know that anyone can become a CA with any degree. It's better to complete your degree, apply for a training contract with an accountancy firm, then just do an ACCA qualification without a degree - you won't get a job that way.

And there's more than one accounting qualification other than ACCA.

How can you be sure that you want to become a CA if you've don't even know how to become one, or never studied !?:confused:
Reply 13
Thanks for the advice above to my question. I'm leaning towards Larissa though, having a degree I feel is better than not having a degree. Besides, it also gives me time to think/gain experience about whether or not I want to actually become a CA.

Thanks again.
Reply 14
Original post by myyout
Thanks for the advice above to my question. I'm leaning towards Larissa though, having a degree I feel is better than not having a degree. Besides, it also gives me time to think/gain experience about whether or not I want to actually become a CA.

Thanks again.

LOOK, if you complete a project, which is a dissertation, after completing the 14 exams of ACCA, then you would have a degree anyway. But if you don’t complete the exams then you would just have ACCA qualifications. I know you must be thinking that degree looks after on CV than having ACCA qualifications but really if this is what concerns you then just do ACCA and complete the project at the end, so you would have degree as well. Kaplan University is doing that, am not sure about others.
Reply 15
LOOK, if you complete a project, which is a dissertation, after completing the 14 exams of ACCA, then you would have a degree anyway. But if you don’t complete the exams then you would just have ACCA qualifications. I know you must be thinking that degree looks after on CV than having ACCA qualifications but really if this is what concerns you then just do ACCA and complete the project at the end, so you would have degree as well. Kaplan University is doing that, am not sure about others.

Sorry, I don't think I understand. Does this mean, ACCA + dissertation project (?) = Degree + qualification?
Reply 16
Original post by myyout
Sorry, I don't think I understand. Does this mean, ACCA + dissertation project (?) = Degree + qualification?

yeh, if you complete all the exams for ACCA as well as dissertation then you get degree at the end. My Friend is doing ACCA and she passed all her exams and now she is doing project so she can get degree as well, although the project is bit difficult but once you complete it, its worth it though. :wink:

it is completely up to students, whether they want to do the project or not, they can just complete all the exams for ACCA and thats it find job or whatever they want to do, but project is just there if someone wants a degree as well along with ACCA. you can complete the project in just about 2 months. :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by yothi5
Clearly you don't want to be a Chartered Accountant that much if you don't know how to become one...oh cry more!

i just want to let you know that i actually managed to find a training contract, so am not crying anymore, my career is sorted hahaha
:tongue:
i just want to let you know that i actually managed to find a training contract, so am not crying anymore, my career is sorted hahaha
:tongue:

congrats, which firm did u get a TC from? :smile:
Original post by Larissa White
I wouldnt be quite sure, yes I agree, doing an accounting degree then the ACCA will take longer. but whatever the circumstance is, having a degree on your CV looks much better than without one. Yes I do agree that you can be a chartered accountant without a degree, but look at it from an employers point of view, who would you hire (a) someone without a degree an just having ACCA or (b) Someone with a degree as well as ACCA? you decide. also if you fail to get a TC/accounting job you can alway fall back to your degree, and go into other areas.

The ACCA has in place an agreement with Oxford Brookes University whereby you can gain an accountancy degree while training to be an ACCA qualified chartered accountant.

Once enrolled with ACCA you need to pass the first 9 papers of the ACCA qualification (the marks you receive will give you your degree class) and then submit a 9,000 word essay to Oxford Brookes University. Once this essay has been given a pass by the university you will be awarded a BSC (Hons) in Applied Accountancy.

This route will secure you a degree while you train to become a chartered accountant without wasting time and money going to university!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending