The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

I'm an American and just got an offer from St. Andrews for International Relations and Economics. Whats the social scene like at St. Andrews?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Could any more clued up current students possibly tell me how much the bus fare to Dundee is? Oh and how often buses to Dundee are on a weekday?

I looked online but bus timetables confuse me....[I don't know how I got into St. Andrews...I ask myself how every single day and I still can't give you an answer].

anyone able to play online game in the halls?
Reply 6503
Original post by who.the.heck
Could any more clued up current students possibly tell me how much the bus fare to Dundee is? Oh and how often buses to Dundee are on a weekday?

I looked online but bus timetables confuse me....[I don't know how I got into St. Andrews...I ask myself how every single day and I still can't give you an answer].

I don't know about the fare (but St Andrews to Leuchars is £2.50 and I think the dayrider is £4.50... so you'd probably get that). But there are buses to Dundee every 15-20 minutes I think. At least, when you considered all the different 99s you can have and then a few other buses.

Original post by soulmailers

Really depends on which hall. Each hall has different internet capabilities. New Hall wireless (which is brand new btw) is pretty decent, so can probably just about cope with online games (again depends on how big scale you are). But you do also get ethernet cables.
Reply 6504
Original post by sinohellenic
I'm an American and just got an offer from St. Andrews for International Relations and Economics. Whats the social scene like at St. Andrews?

Well, it's a small town, so there aren't tons of clubs and things like you might get in Dundee. But from what I've heard (I generally have way too much work to actually get out much) there is one small club called 'The Lizard' that is meant to be fun. But generally everyone goes to the Union or to one of the numerous pubs in town. And there will be plenty of people you meet through your course and through halls that you can go with. :smile:
Hi :smile:
I am thinking of applying for Social Anthropology at St Andrews, but I am having some worries about the town? People have said it is too small with nothing to do/nightlife. Is this true? I have already applied to Durham, and I really like it there, are the 2 places similar?
Thank youu! :biggrin:

yeh what helsey said. its a bit quiet so you have to make your own fun with house parties etc
Reply 6507
maybe it's not the best thread to ask this question, but maybe someone will give me the answer, so:
I'm just curious how ucas or the university will check the authenticity of INDEPENDENT applicants? That is, if the applicants actually are the students of given present school? The same question about referee, how will they check his authenticity?
I'm asking this because I don't know if ucas takes some clearance procedures and thus, I don't know if I should anyway inform my school that I'm applying to the scottish uni and that they can expect something. Also my referee ( from the same school) don't know what kind of checking he should expect, if at all.
Reply 6508
Original post by garbage
maybe it's not the best thread to ask this question, but maybe someone will give me the answer, so:
I'm just curious how ucas or the university will check the authenticity of INDEPENDENT applicants? That is, if the applicants actually are the students of given present school? The same question about referee, how will they check his authenticity?
I'm asking this because I don't know if ucas takes some clearance procedures and thus, I don't know if I should anyway inform my school that I'm applying to the scottish uni and that they can expect something. Also my referee ( from the same school) don't know what kind of checking he should expect, if at all.

My school would never have known that I was applying if I hadn't asked them for a few days off to go to an interview. My referee was not at my school, though. UCAS will probably get on touch with your referee. I think by now the referee puts the reference into the application, not you, is that right?
They're not bothered much with checking because after all, when you have an offer, you'll have to proof your results anyway, so it'd be stupid to apply with false details.

(That said, St Andrews never saw a copy of my results. All they ever got was a letter from my English teacher, in a PDF, and seriously, I could just have made that up. I guess that was more by chance though, and I wouldn't recommend risking it :wink: )
How difficult is it to get to Glasgow fairly regularly for gigs, and do many people do it?
I'm imagining that there isn't too much of an LGBT scene there, am I right? How active is the society?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6510
Original post by who.the.heck

A return bus fare to Dundee is £5.50 or just £2.75 for a single with production of your student card - they run every 15 minutes on a weekday during the day and every half an hour during the evening.

A return bus fare to Leuchars is £4.50. This is the same bus that continues to Dundee
Reply 6511
Original post by soulmailers

Xbox Live and PSN are both blocked in halls, as is steam on Laptops/PCs. So in terms of online games in Halls, its pretty non-existent. (Same rules apply for wireless and wired)
how wild do these house parties get?
how wild do these house parties get?

depends how generous the host is with providing alcohol, not normally
Reply 6514
Original post by Sappho
My school would never have known that I was applying if I hadn't asked them for a few days off to go to an interview. My referee was not at my school, though. UCAS will probably get on touch with your referee. I think by now the referee puts the reference into the application, not you, is that right?
They're not bothered much with checking because after all, when you have an offer, you'll have to proof your results anyway, so it'd be stupid to apply with false details.

(That said, St Andrews never saw a copy of my results. All they ever got was a letter from my English teacher, in a PDF, and seriously, I could just have made that up. I guess that was more by chance though, and I wouldn't recommend risking it :wink: )

yes, now it's the referee's task to put the reference into the ucas application :smile:
that's obvious that they'll ask about copies of exams results, which are now pending and I'll take them in the next year, but do they also ask for the copies of old exams I had taken 3years ago? I'm not sure if my previous school didn't get rid of them! :s-smilie:
Reply 6515
Original post by garbage
yes, now it's the referee's task to put the reference into the ucas application :smile:
that's obvious that they'll ask about copies of exams results, which are now pending and I'll take them in the next year, but do they also ask for the copies of old exams I had taken 3years ago? I'm not sure if my previous school didn't get rid of them! :s-smilie:

They will not get in touch with your school at any point. You will be responsible to submit your results once they will be available. They will only ask for the grades that are part of your offer, so the ones you will reveive next year.
Reply 6516
Original post by Sappho
They will not get in touch with your school at any point. You will be responsible to submit your results once they will be available. They will only ask for the grades that are part of your offer, so the ones you will reveive next year.

Thank you sooo much Sappho! :smile:
is there a chance that gap year applicants who already have their results and aren't resitting will get an offer before the jan?
Reply 6518
Original post by maxcartwright
is there a chance that gap year applicants who already have their results and aren't resitting will get an offer before the jan?

Sorry but not that I know of. Usually all UK/EU applications are dealt with after the deadline. But you know, that has its advantages. Every time I need patience now, I tell myself 'Well, I went through the UCAS process, so I can deal with this easily'...

Seriously :tongue:
Reply 6519
Is the beach ...usable? For walks or (I know it's a long shot) swimming at (very) particular times of year? :smile: Just how bad is the weather? Any worse than northwestern England?

Latest

Trending

Trending