The Student Room Group
Reply 9940
Does anyone know the process of getting fired?

I think I am gonna lose my job, had a warning today.

The reason for the warning was to do with the car park.

I didn't go to break for 5 hours 11 minute, I usually go for break after 4 hours, but had to work longer.

The warning has nothing to do with the break. I am just stating that the warning cause me to work the extra 71 minutes.

I had a couple of warnings before, and I got told by manager that I am going to lose my job if I get one more warning.

Thanks
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GuyUK

I didn't go to break for 5 hours 11 minute, I usually go for break after 4 hours, but had to work longer.

I had a couple of warnings before, and I got told by manager that I am going to lose my job if I get one more warning.

Thanks

Why would you get a warning for not taking your break? :s-smilie:
Reply 9942
Original post by Liam6993
Why would you get a warning for not taking your break? :s-smilie:

It's to do with the car park.
Original post by GuyUK

Thanks

If you are on the car park, I don't know much about that, but I am surprised you've had a warning for working 5 hours 11 minutes without a break.

On checkouts, cafe and stacking on fresh produce, I always worked 6 hours before I got my break and on a number of occasions, I worked 7 hours before I got my break. I just took my break when I was told to [as I couldn't just leave the checkouts or the cafe, especially if we were busy and there was no one to take over my role] and thus no manager ever told me off for it. I'd have had a few choice words for him if he had to be honest lol.

Are there different rules for the car park?
Reply 9944
Original post by affinity89
If you are on the car park, I don't know much about that, but I am surprised you've had a warning for working 5 hours 11 minutes without a break.

On checkouts, cafe and stacking on fresh produce, I always worked 6 hours before I got my break and on a number of occasions, I worked 7 hours before I got my break. I just took my break when I was told to [as I couldn't just leave the checkouts or the cafe, especially if we were busy and there was no one to take over my role] and thus no manager ever told me off for it. I'd have had a few choice words for him if he had to be honest lol.

Are there different rules for the car park?

I edited my post to make it more clear.

I got a warning for apparently not doing my job in the car park.

I think 5 hours is a long time without a break. 7 hours is just unfair, you can easily lose concentration and get stressed from being hungry and thirsty.
hey, does anyone have experience writing a letter to there manager asking for xmas off? :\ im a student so want to go home at xmas, apparently thats what i have to do but i dont know what to put :\
Reply 9946
Original post by GuyUK
I edited my post to make it more clear.

I got a warning for apparently not doing my job in the car park.

I think 5 hours is a long time without a break. 7 hours is just unfair, you can easily lose concentration and get stressed from being hungry and thirsty.

I believe I read somewhere that stores with their own car park, the responsibility of collecting trolleys sits with checkouts.

Tell your manager your being accused of being lazy, and you don't like it, and request that they take you off it, and put you on a checkout.
Reply 9947
Original post by Hayley-Anne
hey, does anyone have experience writing a letter to there manager asking for xmas off? :\ im a student so want to go home at xmas, apparently thats what i have to do but i dont know what to put :\

Holiday is banned in our store at xmas, but in exceptional circumstances, they will let you have it off - but you have to write a letter to the store manager, rather than your line manager.
Original post by Foulish
Holiday is banned in our store at xmas, but in exceptional circumstances, they will let you have it off - but you have to write a letter to the store manager, rather than your line manager.

great :\ do you think they'll let me? know of any students that have done it?

thanks for the help btw :smile:

At this stage it's pretty unlikely, as all the Christmas schedules will have been written, or will be about to be done. But you can try.
Reply 9950
Hey can someone please help me. I am currently a CTS in training at a convenience store, had the job for about 2 weeks. I plan to leave after I've done 4 weeks to avoid the 4 week notice period. Is the Line manager basically the store manager?
Hi guys, I'm on a temporary contract with Sainsburys doing 16 hours a week for about 3 months, does anyone know if I'm entitled to book a day off work during this temporary contract?
Original post by StraightEdge
Hi guys, I'm on a temporary contract with Sainsburys doing 16 hours a week for about 3 months, does anyone know if I'm entitled to book a day off work during this temporary contract?

You should be. :smile:

At Sainsbury's, I think you get the equivalent of 6 weeks off. You thus accumulate 1 week off for every 2 months you work. So, in your 3 months, you should accumulate 16 + 8 hours off. At least, that was how it worked for me. :smile:
Original post by affinity89
You should be. :smile:

At Sainsbury's, I think you get the equivalent of 6 weeks off. You thus accumulate 1 week off for every 2 months you work. So, in your 3 months, you should accumulate 16 + 8 hours off. At least, that was how it worked for me. :smile:

Thanks! It's my 18th on the 26th of this month (Saturday) and I'm doing a 10am-7pm shift which I want to book off, are Sainsburys likely to refuse my request for a day off considering it's quite a long shift on a busy day? :frown:
Original post by StraightEdge
Thanks! It's my 18th on the 26th of this month (Saturday) and I'm doing a 10am-7pm shift which I want to book off, are Sainsburys likely to refuse my request for a day off considering it's quite a long shift on a busy day? :frown:

That's probably too short notice to book a holiday, but you could always try swapping a shift with somebody. Have a look at the schedules, see who's off on the 26th and ask them to swap with you.
Could anyone enlighten me, how to use my shiny new colleague discount card at the self service tills? I work on Counters and am never near the tills which is why I have no clue lol

Have also just acquired a Nectar card, same question again how do I use it at self service? I've noticed there is a little barcode on the back, do I just scan it? and do i do this before or after I've scanned my items?

I would ask the person looking after the self scan but every time I've been to see they've always been snowed under with customers so I've left them to it.

thanks in advance
Original post by MinervaExpeliamos
Could anyone enlighten me, how to use my shiny new colleague discount card at the self service tills? I work on Counters and am never near the tills which is why I have no clue lol

Have also just acquired a Nectar card, same question again how do I use it at self service? I've noticed there is a little barcode on the back, do I just scan it? and do i do this before or after I've scanned my items?

I would ask the person looking after the self scan but every time I've been to see they've always been snowed under with customers so I've left them to it.

thanks in advance

With the Nectar Card, jut scan it once you've pressed 'Finish & Pay' then swipe your discount card using the chip & pin reader. At my store you have to swipe it so the black strip is facing you but I'm not sure if that's the same everywhere? I think you have to scan your Nectar Card first, once I did my discount first and it wouldn't let me scan the Nectar Card.
:smile:
Original post by socialreject
With the Nectar Card, jut scan it once you've pressed 'Finish & Pay' then swipe your discount card using the chip & pin reader. At my store you have to swipe it so the black strip is facing you but I'm not sure if that's the same everywhere? I think you have to scan your Nectar Card first, once I did my discount first and it wouldn't let me scan the Nectar Card.
:smile:

Thanks :smile: I managed to work it out today as I was getting some bits and bobs on my way home... at first it wouldn't accept it kept saying "error" but managed to get one of the till assistants to do it for me then and she seemed to actually jig it back and forth in the reader a bit and it worked.

My stores card reader takes it with the black strip facing away so must be different in some stores!

Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 9958

One colleague of mine goes to Malta every year to visit family. Your situation is pretty similar (Unless home for you is a 15 minute drive/train journey).

Beef it up a bit and say you've been working so much at Sainsbury's and Uni, you've been unable to visit family for 6 months.
Reply 9959
Original post by Writer14
At this stage it's pretty unlikely, as all the Christmas schedules will have been written, or will be about to be done. But you can try.

I know what i'm doing for Christmas week.
15th - 23rd Dec I am working 2200-0600
24th 10 - closedown

I volunteered myself for nightshift. some of you may wonder why - simply put - I HATE Christmas shoppers. They are like vultures, last year I actually witnessed someone snatching a turkey off an old woman because it was the last one in the freezer.

Yet I don't even know what i'm doing next week :l

Latest

Trending

Trending