The Student Room Group
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website

Bangor Applicants 2012

I don't think I saw this thread so if there is already one, very sorry and it confirms I am a douche bag.

Ok, I'll start ...
English Language and Linguistics - conditional offer :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Marketing - Conditional offer :smile:

I don't see another thread similar to this either so we must both be blind or this is the first....I think I'll believe the latter :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Bangor University
Bangor University
Visit website
I haven't seen a thread either, nice one :smile:
Got a conditional offer for biomedical science, gonna be my firm choice!
(edited 12 years ago)
Wooh!!! I'm still trying to weigh up the pros and cons of going to Bangor against those of Aberystwyth. I love Aber as a place, I'm not quite there with Bangor yet but getting there. Accommodation wise for me, Bangor wins by a fair margin and then course wise Aber wins. This is going to be hard!!! Congratulations on your offer. :smile:
Geography - Conditional Offer =D
Loved Bangor on the open day :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by The Optimistic Ram
Wooh!!! I'm still trying to weigh up the pros and cons of going to Bangor against those of Aberystwyth. I love Aber as a place, I'm not quite there with Bangor yet but getting there. Accommodation wise for me, Bangor wins by a fair margin and then course wise Aber wins. This is going to be hard!!! Congratulations on your offer. :smile:

My friend went to Aber, she loved it, her accomodation was over-looking the beach. Sway you? Hehe, I loved the Bangor accomodation too, I'm not sure whether its going to be my firm either, depends on my retake marks.
Zoology with Animal behaviour - conditional offer and a low one at that :smile:
Reply 7
My applications is currently being processed. I've applied for English Language with Creative Writing.

It's the one option I know least about and I live so far but still I'll go to an open day if I do receive and offer and will hopefully like it a lot.
Reply 8
Original post by Beebumble
My applications is currently being processed. I've applied for English Language with Creative Writing.

It's the one option I know least about and I live so far but still I'll go to an open day if I do receive and offer and will hopefully like it a lot.

I'm being nosy, so forgive me - Where do you live?
Reply 9
Original post by bumblebee17
I'm being nosy, so forgive me - Where do you live?

London!:biggrin:
My friend went to Aber, she loved it, her accomodation was over-looking the beach. Sway you? Hehe, I loved the Bangor accomodation too, I'm not sure whether its going to be my firm either, depends on my retake marks.

Ah, I visited the sea front accomodation on the open day, I missed the last tour so one of the receptionists just showed myself and another girl round two of the flats. The rooms on the front of the building and facing the sea were great, slightly larger I'd say than ones in Cwrt Mawr or similar. However the rooms on the back were back and dingy. It's personal preference I guess, but I wouldn't like to have the light on in my room all the time I was in it, unless I was a vampire that is... :colone:

I preferred Cwrt Mawr (which I stayed in the night before the open day), Rosser and Trefloyne. The rooms were of similar size, and if sea views were desperately wanted some actually had them! For example the flat I stayed in had a lovely view of the sea from the kitchen.

Bangor wise, I went on the accomodation tour and the flats there seemed more homelike. For me, the one thing I hated about the Aber flats (maybe more particularly Cwrt Mawr) was the (ugly) painted breeze block walls. Bangor had the walls nicely plastered etc, which might seem pedantic but it would seriously annoy me if they weren't.

So for me it's still a toss up between Bangor and Aber. I think there's only one way to find out.....

FIGHT!!! :biggrin:

edit - Is it a ruling that Bangor applicants have the words 'Bumble' and 'Bee' in their username?!?! :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 11
Ah, I visited the sea front accomodation on the open day, I missed the last tour so one of the receptionists just showed myself and another girl round two of the flats. The rooms on the front of the building and facing the sea were great, slightly larger I'd say than ones in Cwrt Mawr or similar. However the rooms on the back were back and dingy. It's personal preference I guess, but I wouldn't like to have the light on in my room all the time I was in it, unless I was a vampire that is... :colone:

I preferred Cwrt Mawr (which I stayed in the night before the open day), Rosser and Trefloyne. The rooms were of similar size, and if sea views were desperately wanted some actually had them! For example the flat I stayed in had a lovely view of the sea from the kitchen.

Bangor wise, I went on the accomodation tour and the flats there seemed more homelike. For me, the one thing I hated about the Aber flats (maybe more particularly Cwrt Mawr) was the (ugly) painted breeze block walls. Bangor had the Ha, walls nicely plastered etc, which might seem pedantic but it would seriously annoy me if they weren't.

So for me it's still a toss up between Bangor and Aber. I think there's only one way to find out.....

FIGHT!!! :biggrin:

edit - Is it a ruling that Bangor applicants have the words 'Bumble' and 'Bee' in their username?!?! :tongue:

Ha, I was thinking this, very weird, I couldn't think of an original name so just went for the first thing that popped into my head. I think it depends on how much the Aber course is better than Bangor and whether you could put up with the halls for a year at Aber? I'm very excited, stuff A levels.
P.S Love Harry Hill!! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Ha, I was thinking this, very weird, I couldn't think of an original name so just went for the first thing that popped into my head. I think it depends on how much the Aber course is better than Bangor and whether you could put up with the halls for a year at Aber? I'm very excited, stuff A levels.
P.S Love Harry Hill!! :smile:

Marketing course wise, they couldn't be any different. At Aber, the course is pure marketing from day one. Where as at Bangor, the business school as a whole (so everything business/finance/etc related) has a joint first year course. So everyone does a bit of everything. Bangor sells it to prospective students by saying you can chop and change courses easily as everyone has done the same thing.

For me I prefer Aber as I want to do Marketing, not a mish mash of everything!!!!

What's the English course like at Bangor?
Reply 13
Marketing course wise, they couldn't be any different. At Aber, the course is pure marketing from day one. Where as at Bangor, the business school as a whole (so everything business/finance/etc related) has a joint first year course. So everyone does a bit of everything. Bangor sells it to prospective students by saying you can chop and change courses easily as everyone has done the same thing.

For me I prefer Aber as I want to do Marketing, not a mish mash of everything!!!!

What's the English course like at Bangor?

My friend is doing Equine and Marketing which sounds rather good. The Bangor Linguistics course really suits me, they do modules in Forensic Linguistcs which is the part I am most interested in. In terms of the assessment, the coursework is worth 60% to 40% for exams which would benefit me massively because I am a nervous wreck with exams. We also get assessed by powerpoint presentations, I'm weird, I'm not nervous at talking in front of people but get me in a exam, I freak out. I don't really know what to do about it.
I'm very excited I got sent a letter from Bangor today inviting me to an Admissions Day where I meet other Linguistics Applicants and my tutors so I get a general feel of what the course would be like. So you might receive one too :biggrin:
anybody else applied for priamry ed?:smile:
My friend is doing Equine and Marketing which sounds rather good. The Bangor Linguistics course really suits me, they do modules in Forensic Linguistcs which is the part I am most interested in. In terms of the assessment, the coursework is worth 60% to 40% for exams which would benefit me massively because I am a nervous wreck with exams. We also get assessed by powerpoint presentations, I'm weird, I'm not nervous at talking in front of people but get me in a exam, I freak out. I don't really know what to do about it.
I'm very excited I got sent a letter from Bangor today inviting me to an Admissions Day where I meet other Linguistics Applicants and my tutors so I get a general feel of what the course would be like. So you might receive one too :biggrin:

Hopefully, I'll wait up day and night for this letter to come!!! Assessment wise, Aber is better for me again as they do more practical assessments over exams. Similar to yourself I'm awful at exams. :frown:
Sport science (Physical Education) conditional offer probably firm :smile:
Reply 17
Applied to both - the Aber accommodation fiasco last year is worrying, definitely don't want a bunk room. Bangor is much better on that front. Course is good at both (English Lit and Creative Writing) Waiting to see which ones comes back with an offer before deciding. Scholarships and bursaries are better at Aber but Bangor staff seemed more approachable. Agree its a tough one.
Reply 18
Hopefully, I'll wait up day and night for this letter to come!!! Assessment wise, Aber is better for me again as they do more practical assessments over exams. Similar to yourself I'm awful at exams. :frown:

Happy I'm not the only one who goes to pot in exams. :smile: Where abouts do you come from? Are you from Wales as you've applied for Aber and Bangor?
Reply 19
French with German conditional offer :smile: It'll probably be my firm although I haven't been able to visit because I'm over in Ireland but from what I've seen and heard it looks fab.

Quick Reply

Latest