The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ape Gone Insane
I reckon I'll go through Series 1-6 after Christmas. Found this, which I'd totally forgotten about:

Nah, I negged for his sig. Gives me a headache.

An SGI neg, the most powerful neg on TSR. :colone:

Something tells me it will be dreadful. I don't want Yates to direct it, and I don't like this "radical transformation" he wants to put it through.
Original post by Mr.Messy
Something tells me it will be dreadful. I don't want Yates to direct it, and I don't like this "radical transformation" he wants to put it through.

Yates ruined Harry Potter IMO although I am a Harry Potter geek so get annoyed by all the small things he changed...I don't want him to ruin Doctor Who.
Original post by greeneyedgirl
Yates ruined Harry Potter IMO although I am a Harry Potter geek so get annoyed by all the small things he changed...I don't want him to ruin Doctor Who.

To be fair, I don't think any director would be able to show HP a film on the same level that JKR wrote the books, but yeah his films weren't up to scratch and they could've been a lot better!

I don't have high expectations for the DW film tbh.
Original post by Mr.Messy
To be fair, I don't think any director would be able to show HP a film on the same level that JKR wrote the books, but yeah his films weren't up to scratch and they could've been a lot better!

I don't have high expectations for the DW film tbh.

True, but I think they could have been better than they were. But that's me being fussy.

Doctor Who I don't think pertains itself to films. Part of the beauty of Doctor Who is the suspense between episodes.
I'm of two minds - sometimes it's hard for them to get enough story to cover a double episode, but then there's things like the series 3 3-part finale which, although the whole "clap if you believe" ending was a bit crap, worked fairly well. So they can tell feature length stories... it's just a case of having the right one.

The fact they were going to make it completely separate, essentially rebooting it, I do not agree with. If you're going to do it, you do it with the current cast of the programme and have it fit in canonically.

Whatever happens, it will not live up to expectations.
Original post by Dalek1099
By the way Doctor Who is the show's title not the character's name it's often credited wrong aswell.Who would go around with a question in their title?

i always took it as the show itself asking the question doctor who
Original post by LastLordofTime
The fact they were going to make it completely separate, essentially rebooting it, I do not agree with. If you're going to do it, you do it with the current cast of the programme and have it fit in canonically.

Whatever happens, it will not live up to expectations.

I agree with this. If they are making it, it has to be intergrated. But I am worried about how much they can cover in a certain time limit. Usually the series finales are so good as small pieces of information are put throughout the series e.g. the vote saxon posters, bad wolf, silence will fall. If it is all rushed it may not be as good.

Also a reboot will be terrible. Everyone loves it as it is and it has survived for fifty years so why change it? Also lots of movies these days are from books/comics/tv shows e.g. harry potter, batman, sex and the city ect so why make a film with the same concept as the show but not related? I think they should make the film related or don't make it at all.

Casting and writing is a major debate too. Since it is a british show, hopefully the writer and main cast (doctor and assistant) will be too. I wouldn't mind some forgein actors though, especially good ones like canton.

Writing will be extremly important as bad writer, bad movie. Definately not the guy who wrote Victory to the Daleks (more on Daleks later though), that would be a nightmare. Not steven moffet as then if the companion was not amy pond, they would get less than 10 lines and we would get a "new" villian. Hopefully someone who has written a good episode before.

Again casting is vital. The best option would be the current doctor at the time with perhaps references or cameos to previous doctors and companions. No new doctor/companion for the film. It would be a nightmare as we may hate their version of their characters, may be left hanging about their exits due to casting issues and as said before should be a continuation of the series. That said I would love the return of the 10th and Donna.
Original post by elitepower
Again casting is vital. The best option would be the current doctor at the time with perhaps references or cameos to previous doctors and companions. No new doctor/companion for the film. It would be a nightmare as we may hate their version of their characters, may be left hanging about their exits due to casting issues and as said before should be a continuation of the series. That said I would love the return of the 10th and Donna.

People have been saying for years that the main reason why the 90's reboot failed(the "movie" was a backdoor pilot) was because there was a regeneration in the film so it confused new fans to the show.

It would be unlikely they would risk such a thing again, which is why in the proper reboot we had no explaination so I assume it would be a current doc.
Original post by drbluebox
People have been saying for years that the main reason why the 90's reboot failed(the "movie" was a backdoor pilot) was because there was a regeneration in the film so it confused new fans to the show.

It would be unlikely they would risk such a thing again, which is why in the proper reboot we had no explaination so I assume it would be a current doc.

But saying that it is estimated to be out in around three years time (very rough as cast hasn't been realised yet) so what if say they do the film with the eleventh but by the time it is realised the twelvth has taken over? It really is confusing, they shouldn't have announced it without at least the main cast (or ten important characters) and a brief plot description.
Tbh I don't think the movie will go ahead. They've got no script, no cast, just a "plan".

I'd happily have a 2-3 hour episode of Matt Smith on the BBC if they wanted to though XD
Film'll be meh.

Title of the Christmas special is: THE DOCTOR, THE WIDOW AND THE WARDROBE!

I missed the christmas preview. I hope it's on youtube soon.
It's up but I can't be bothered looking for it/clicking a link on twitter XD

Trailer was good. The Narnia influences are obvious, which I suppose is about right.
Original post by sleekchic
Title of the Christmas special is: THE DOCTOR, THE WIDOW AND THE WARDROBE!

I missed the christmas preview. I hope it's on youtube soon.

It is on the bbc doctor who website.

It looks better that the last one but that isn't hard. Still not going to risk putting my hopes up due to the terrible one last year, the end of the trailer makes the majority of suspense useless.

It looks better that the last one but that isn't hard. Still not going to risk putting my hopes up due to the terrible one last year, the end of the trailer makes the majority of suspense useless.

I've seen it now. It doesn't really tell anything. Well it sets the basic premise but that's it.

I really liked A Christmas Carol tbh. I'd even go as far as to say it's my favourite of the Christmas specials.
Original post by TheCrackInTime
I really liked A Christmas Carol tbh. I'd even go as far as to say it's my favourite of the Christmas specials.

Me too. I really enjoyed it and then I came online to find that many didn't like it. :colondollar:
I also kinda liked it, apart from some of the cheesier bits. But overall one of the best Christmas Specials.

Did anyone else go "Christmas Trees are deadly!" for that one shot in the new trailer? XD

Latest

Trending

Trending