The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by apple17
Ah, ur an evil one
But that is a REALLY good plan. :wink:

I know i know :evil:
Reply 9081
Original post by Parle à ma main
There's nothing against you in your app, good GCSEs, good A Levels. Apparently Oxford only give a weeks notice before interviews though, is it the same for med? Cos if so that's tellement harsh!

Haha, I do like Brits, but England is depressingly rainy and people are depressingly moany sometimes. :p:

Wow, that's insane. And I thought the American system was harsh! England does sound like a much better option, although the fees they charge internationals are actually ridiculous.

I wonder if there'll be a culture clash when you move here from Canada? If/when you get in, start a blog, your story will be really interesting, I reckon. :p:

Aw, i hate the rain and nice description. really tempting to come over to study now.
Yeah, its pretty hard, like so many people wanna be medics and there are fw med schools. Pretty absurd, 4 times the home applicant fees but my dad said it is cheaper in the long run cuz canadian med school is another 8 years after undergrad
yeah, huge cultural shock. different vocab and slang, like i talk to ppl from tsr and i seem like such a noob cuz i don't know some slang :confused: Hm, interesting idea, I might actually do that. :smile:
Original post by apple17
Yay!
I knew it will come to use one day. thank you canada! :wink:

Oh Canada, oh Canadaaaaaa. :p:
Reply 9083
Original post by apple17
Aw, i hate the rain and nice description. really tempting to come over to study now.
Yeah, its pretty hard, like so many people wanna be medics and there are fw med schools. Pretty absurd, 4 times the home applicant fees but my dad said it is cheaper in the long run cuz canadian med school is another 8 years after undergrad
yeah, huge cultural shock. different vocab and slang, like i talk to ppl from tsr and i seem like such a noob cuz i don't know some slang :confused: Hm, interesting idea, I might actually do that. :smile:

Drop me the link if you do start a blog :smile: The canadians here seem to be fitting in fine tho.. :rolleyes:
Original post by manic_fuzz
Well, it all depends on how well my BMAT went, only like 8days and 1hour before i find out my result :eek:

Mmm i think it's 2 weeks :s-smilie: although, that's still not very long :K: eeee

2 weeks is ok-ish, that's about how much other med schools give. A week would just be insane to book train tickets and stuff for!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9085
Oh Canada, oh Canadaaaaaa. :p:

You should come visit Quebec during summer or something.
Its beautiful plus quebecois :smile:
p.s. half the anthem is now in french. :eek:
2 weeks is ok-ish, that's about how much other med schools give. A week would just be insane to book train tickets and stuff for!

I know, but i think they should just give me a months notice :colonhash: mwahaha
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9087
Original post by Vulpes
Drop me the link if you do start a blog :smile: The canadians here seem to be fitting in fine tho.. :rolleyes:

Will do.
How many Canadians are in the med?
p.s. how's Sheffield going btw , guessing a ton of lectures and work?
Reply 9088
Original post by apple17
Will do.
How many Canadians are in the med?
p.s. how's Sheffield going btw , guessing a ton of lectures and work?

I know ~ 4/5 canadians here but we don't generally go around telling people where we come from so there may be more :dontknow:

Right now its a little crazy. Reaching the end of our module. First SSC due next week and we're given our 2nd SSC tmrw morning. We also have 4 histology assessments to do this week for Friday instead of the usual one a week and we have a module assessment on Friday afternoon. :dance:
Original post by apple17

Funnily enough the rain grows on you sooner or later. Even though I'm the kind of person who sleeps under a blanket and wears socks in abroad-heat, I've grown to like rain. :giggle:

How come Canada has so few med schools? Apparently youz have a population of like 30 million (you've got to love google haha).

Oh right, that's interesting. So studying in the UK works out much better in every way? So much studying in Canada, even just to get into medical school! I'm henceforth banning myself from moaning about A Levels. :p: What are the entry requirements like for you?

But you'll pick the lingo up alright! Thing is, even between cities, there's massive dialect variations, and some accents are hard to understand, so hopefully you won't be alone in that. I would guess that Southeners can't understand some Northern accents.
Besides, everyone is going to love you for accent here. :p:
Reply 9090
Original post by Vulpes
I know ~ 4/5 canadians here but we don't generally go around telling people where we come from so there may be more :dontknow:

Right now its a little crazy. Reaching the end of our module. First SSC due next week and we're given our 2nd SSC tmrw morning. We also have 4 histology assessments to do this week for Friday instead of the usual one a week and we have a module assessment on Friday afternoon. :dance:

Ah I see. Thats still loads, wouldn't wanna be a loner
Aw, good luck. Hope you ace it, whats histology btw? Sounds interesting
Reply 9091
Original post by apple17
Ah I see. Thats still loads, wouldn't wanna be a loner
Aw, good luck. Hope you ace it, whats histology btw? Sounds interesting

Study of the anatomy of cells & tissues. Hope you get an interview here :biggrin:

Whats your first choice?
Original post by apple17
You should come visit Quebec during summer or something.
Its beautiful plus quebecois :smile:
p.s. half the anthem is now in french. :eek:

Oh man, I would love to! I'd love to visit English Canada too. It's just that the flights are so expensive. :frown: I might save up through next year, that would be the most amazing holiday ever. All the doctors I've ever met seem to do a hell of a lot of travelling, hopefully when I'm older I'll be able to hop to and from whichever countries I want (incl. Canada :teeth:).

Is it really? For some reason I thought Quebec was more... distinct from Canada? Like, not a different country but... sort of like England and Northern Ireland?
Original post by manic_fuzz
I know, but i think they should just give me a months notice :colonhash: mwahaha

I think it went alright :s-smilie: but i can't be sure so i'll wait and see !!!

That would be nice. Although I'd start to overprepare and panic. :p:

Let us know how it goes when you find out!
Reply 9094
Funnily enough the rain grows on you sooner or later. Even though I'm the kind of person who sleeps under a blanket and wears socks in abroad-heat, I've grown to like rain. :giggle:

How come Canada has so few med schools? Apparently youz have a population of like 30 million (you've got to love google haha).

Oh right, that's interesting. So studying in the UK works out much better in every way? So much studying in Canada, even just to get into medical school! I'm henceforth banning myself from moaning about A Levels. :p: What are the entry requirements like for you?

But you'll pick the lingo up alright! Thing is, even between cities, there's massive dialect variations, and some accents are hard to understand, so hopefully you won't be alone in that. I would guess that Southeners can't understand some Northern accents.
Besides, everyone is going to love you for accent here. :p:

Ah, yeah. You prob think about how depressing life is and just move on. Same, i snuggle in blankets during winters/rain.
Yeah, in Ontario, we have 6 med schools. In total, we may have like 30 schools but the system is consistent, do 4 years of UG then apply. Google is awesome. :biggrin:
Its quicker and cheaper but its better recognized than the Carribean schools or random schools out there. Yeah, don't be complaining about A-levels, its not that bad. I do IB, so its 36-38 points out of 45(total points).
Woah, thats pretty hard and I have heard, my english teacher lived in England and told me about the wide variety of accents.
Remember, u guys are the ones with the accents, not moi. :wink:
Original post by apple17

You seem even more of a noob when you live here for all your life and you still don't know some of the slang :rolleyes: haha
Reply 9096
Original post by Quackers93
You seem even more of a noob when you live here for all your life and you still don't know some of the slang :rolleyes: haha

Nah, at least u know some. Sometimes, i feel like people just make up something on top of their head and say its slang. :P
Original post by apple17
Nah, at least u know some. Sometimes, i feel like people just make up something on top of their head and say its slang. :P

Naww :/ Where are you applying to? If it's any of the same as me, and we end up at the same uni I'll try and teach you some! :biggrin:
Reply 9098
Original post by Quackers93
Naww :/ Where are you applying to? If it's any of the same as me, and we end up at the same uni I'll try and teach you some! :biggrin:

Glasgow, HYMS, Sheffield and Kings. How about you!
Yay! Thanks. :biggrin:
Original post by apple17
Glasgow, HYMS, Sheffield and Kings. How about you!
Yay! Thanks. :biggrin:

Glasgow! :five:

I always applied to St. Andrews, Cardiff and Manchester. I wondered if you had maybe applied to St. Andrews because they have a thing where you'd study at St.A's for three years and whereas most people would move to another scottish medical school or manchester, the ones on the Canadian course would go to Alberta I think and continue it back in Canada.

Can't say I'll be much use haha but I'll try :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending