The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Gonville and Caius College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 980
Original post by gethsemane342
That's not entirely true. I don't know about the 3 course part but I really doubt it. The gowns definitely isn't true.

Essentially, you get given a certain amount of dining tickets you have to use up. You can go to normal hall or to formal hall (which is every night except Saturday, I think). I *think* normal hall isn't 3 courses but a Caian is better placed to answer that. You don't need gowns for normal hall.

The formal hall is *very* informal - you just need a gown on top of whatever you're wearing and students from other colleges do not have to wear a gown. When I went, food was also "informal" - I think my main course was wedges and steak with the option of ketchup from packets :biggrin:

Thanks very much for the clarification :smile: Do you happen to know what the general atmosphere is like at Caius? Is there a good arts/science, female/male mix? Is it pretentious or quite down-to-earth?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
At Caius we have informal and formal hall every night save for Saturday. Each hall is exactly the same food as the other, and is 3 courses. Formal hall requires you to wear a gown, but you can wear anything you want underneath (I've worn pyjamas before)

Each hall costs exactly the same amount (£3.25), and college make you buy a minimum of 36 tickets per term. This equals about 5 days a week or so. It's actually a decent system which most people like, it gives you a chance to see everyone in college every night, as it's very easy to just get locked in your room or library doing work and see no-one else.

Food wasn't great quality, but is now at a pretty good standard. There are certain dishes which we learn to avoid, but they only come up a couple of times a term now anyways, but then there are also dishes which completely pack out hall.

If you do have dietary requirements, hall normally provides for that. For example I have friends who are allergic to many things like onions, eggs, dairy etc, and college still provides meals for them. You can however speak to college about receiving a rebate for unused tickets, which is obviously given in exceptions such as these.

Original post by elljay
Thanks very much for the clarification :smile: Do you happen to know what the general atmosphere is like at Caius? Is there a good arts/science, female/male mix? Is it pretentious or quite down-to-earth?

There's a good mix of subjects as well as female to male. Lots of medics though, but I never feel like the arts are being drowned out here. And while Caius has the reputation of being a Tory college, I'd say that in recent years especially, it's actually far from it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by elljay

Sorry, I have no idea - I know a few Caian lawyers but that's as far as it goes. It just so happened that one described their food system in detail to me (we were having a college "worst food-off")
Reply 983
I once found a fingernail in my food. That wasn't good. A few suspect hairs too. But hall at Caius did improve in the 3 years I was there.
Reply 984
Original post by Llamaaa
I once found a fingernail in my food. That wasn't good. A few suspect hairs too. But hall at Caius did improve in the 3 years I was there.

Stop trying to put people off the food, malvada :tongue: I want to use up all my dinner tickets (or the virtual equivalent) this term.:wink:
Reply 985
Original post by Crazy_emz
Stop trying to put people off the food, malvada :tongue: I want to use up all my dinner tickets (or the virtual equivalent) this term.:wink:

I didn't use all my tickets ever. But by final year I knew the system so could get monies back yay!
Reply 986
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by VCR
Applied for Economics at Caius, 2012 entry. Reading this thread has made me doubt my choice a little bit, I have to say...

In any case, I've got a few questions regarding the admissions test for Econ: is it usually sat the day before the interviews? What kind of questions were in the test itself? And did you have to discuss your answers in the interview?

Hi,

I'm no economist but I did the Cambridge Law Test, so I'd imagine it'll be fairly similar!

You do the test the day before your interview, and you may get chance to discuss your answers. I did, as did the other Pembroke law applicants, but I don't know if this is part of the process. We can't tell you what the questions are like either, but it's safe to say that they'll be to see how you think rather than requiring knowledge of your subject. For the Cambridge Law Test, there's a website with sample papers - it might be worth checking to see if there's something like this for Economics. :yes:

Hope this helps! :h:
Reply 988
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 989

Original post by VCR
Applied for Economics at Caius, 2012 entry. Reading this thread has made me doubt my choice a little bit, I have to say...

In any case, I've got a few questions regarding the admissions test for Econ: is it usually sat the day before the interviews? What kind of questions were in the test itself? And did you have to discuss your answers in the interview?

im applying to the same course! what subjects are you taking?
Reply 990
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 991
Original post by VCR
Maths, Further Maths, Economics and French. You?

Maths, Further Maths, French, Economics, Physics, and History (just AS for history tho) and EPQ. hoping i get at least an interview! its so frustrating! dont you agree?
Reply 992
Original post by VCR

hey, why are you concerned? im applied for econ at caius as well. what subject u take and predictions?
Reply 993
Hey!
Any other medicine applicants?

Good luck everybody!
Reply 994
I haven't received an interview invitation yet (for law), but how are all the other applicants for the college doing so far?
Reply 995
Nothing yet - it's driving me crazy! (I applied for PPS)
Reply 996
I'm a current student at Caius and I just wanted to say don't worry about not having received an invitation yet - when I applied I didn't get mine until mid November.

Good luck with your application!
Reply 997
Original post by Crazy_emz
I'm a current student at Caius and I just wanted to say don't worry about not having received an invitation yet - when I applied I didn't get mine until mid November.

Good luck with your application!

Thanks :smile: so what course are you reading? and how do you like the college?
was it the college you picked, or were you pooled?

AH so many questions! I would really appreciate if you could answer a few, thank :smile:
Reply 998
Any invitations yet? From what I've read, last year they started giving out invitations as early as 2 nd November. Getting worried.
Reply 999
Original post by manousha
Any invitations yet? From what I've read, last year they started giving out invitations as early as 2 nd November. Getting worried.

nope none for me. what course?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending