The Student Room Group

Nobody to live with next year, should i be worried?

<snip>
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No, dont worry about it. theres lot of people in your same situation - you can always move into halls - (private or ones not just for first years, next year) - and chances are you will end up living with some second years who were in the same boat as you. Theres lots of options open to you.
I've been getting worried too. I'm not really close enough to any coursemates to suggest us living together, and the group of us in my halls is too big for just one house (there are at least 10 of us).

Sometimes I think I'd love to have a one-bedroom flat just for me... but then I'd probably get lonely.

I'm going to wait and see what happens.
I moved into private halls for second year, for reasons other than last years flatmates, I loved them :smile:
Anyway, it's great because I live right next door to a lovely girl and these halls are so much nicer than a room in a student house (they tend to be dingy and grubby from my experience of where others live) AND you get to play the 'flatmate lottery' all over again!
I wouldn't worry too much, I think this kind of situation happens quite often. Your university may have ome kind of forum/portal where people can go to find housemates and/or houses with spare rooms going: mine did.
I'm in the same situation too and its worrying me. I was talking to a hallmate about next year and she was saying how everyone in our halls has someone that they definitly want to live with next year. And i realised i havent got that. but like other people have said i guess we could go private halls or something, so i'm trying not to worry too much.
Reply 6
Do you have to decide by Christmas though? I know people probably want to get the best house or whatever, but at my uni they advise us not to be forced into deciding even if this does mean waiting till after Christmas/January.

I too have various friends but not one friend/group who I really 'click' with and definitely want to live with next year. Just see how it goes :smile:
Reply 7
It's still only November! I didn't decide til February, I know people who still didn't know in April ish. I got my flat round about April, but plenty of people didn't start looking until May and ended up with great places. There's no rush!
See if your uni has a database of spare rooms in existing houses, my housemates have put up an ad on ours because myself and another housemate are going away next year for our course and they need to replace us.
Reply 9
You have just made me worried as well. My house mates are nice but the house is too quite, I would like to live with some friends, those of which I havnt made yes, I want to cry in a corner now.
Can you live in halls next year again?

I lived in halls in my second year cause I didn't have anyone to live with really and I got some really awesome flatmates, and I'm living with 3 of them this year. :smile:
So basically you don't have flatmates to move into?

Look on student accommodation websites - there are always people who have a spare room available and advertise it on these websites. It'll be an opportunity for you to meet new people as well.

If that fails, you could look into getting your own flat (provided you have the money!) or private student accommodation, e.g. with Unite.
Don't worry i was in the same position int he first year as all my friend in halls were guys and most of my coursemates were also guys and they all wanted guy houses! I looked on our uni advertising place and found a group of people looking for someone to fill their house and I'm now im my third year and still living with them and they are my best friends:smile:
It's looking like I'm going to have this problem OP- I certainly don't want to live with my flatmates next year, and almost everyone else I know is super tight with theirs. One girl I'm friends with has said she is living with some of hers next year. Halls aren't an option as the uni only allows international students to stay beyond first year, and there are no private halls round here, so looks like I'm going to be trying to find a spare room and hope for the best.

Original post by sr90
I've seen people both on here and at my uni talking as if they have already decided who they are living with next year and its got me seriously worried because i don't know anyone who i can do something like this with and everyone is saying you need to decide by christmas.

I've been out and stuff with people in my hall, i sit with some of them in lectures and i'd say i have made friends. Not very close ones admittedly but its only been 6 weeks hasn't it. Problem is everyone is just moving in with their current flatmates. Nobody has even given me the slightest indication that they would want to live with me and i don't know who i would ask because i still don't know anyone that well.

Because i won't find anyone from my hall i don't know where else to look. I can't see how i can make any friends on my course because there are so few contact hours. We are almost through the first term and i'm still in the stage of meeting people for the first time and saying hi. The only girl who i've got to know has already decided to move in with her flatmates.

It was bad enough i lost the 'flatmate lottery' this year but because people are only interested in being friends with their flatmates it looks like this is seriously going to make things harder for me next year too. Is it that bad if i haven't got any idea about this yet?

I am so feeeling how you are right now.
Literally last week, everyone suddenly just started talking about houses as well and viewing properties and the like, I was like 'whoa barely got to know anyone yet!' And what after a few weeks, the people we are going to share a house with - not just your own locked room in a hall - for the entire year. I too don't have many hours - on an arts course over mixed departments so some people I only properly recognise from seeing every 2 weeks for seminars.

Also - about 50% of my housemates are the group from hell, I could go on in another thread about their bloody weirdness and annoyingness (NO ONE elses flat in my halls has to put up with it), the rest have mostly gone with other groups entirely. There was one girl i'm pretty close to and we get on v.well from my flat who was sorta considering but she had the same issue and has already found a spare sport with this other group. So yeah pretty worried. Also the fact that if you don't aklready seem to have a group don't want to be branded an outcast kinda thing. just because the people I live with are creepy and quite frankly, dirty inconsiderate ********s.
Original post by Rascacielos
So basically you don't have flatmates to move into?

If that fails, you could look into getting your own flat (provided you have the money!) or private student accommodation, e.g. with Unite.

Do people not think those that live on their own are weird/antisocial/missing out on the 'uni experience'? Thats would is worrying me.

Likewise with the spare room, them not liking me or finding me annoying or something =/ and being like out of the clique
You should make a thread about it on here. Put your Uni name, then tell people interested in living with you to PM you. Skype them to make sure it really is them. Then meet up on campus and sort it out?
Original post by Lead Pipes A Fortune Made
Do people not think those that live on their own are weird/antisocial/missing out on the 'uni experience'? Thats would is worrying me.

Likewise with the spare room, them not liking me or finding me annoying or something =/ and being like out of the clique

I don't know, maybe they do. But who cares about what other people think? Well, you obviously.

Well you'd probably meet them first so you could decide whether they're your kind of people and vice versa.

Or go for Unite accommodation and it'll just be like starting your first year again.
I'm in the same situation too. Everybody in my flat in halls has decided who they are living with next year, theres only me and another girl left and from what I can gather she doesn't particularly want to live with me.
I really don't want to end up living on my own but I can't see any other option at the minute!
Does any body know if theres any way of meeting others who are struggling to find people to live with?
I live in Newcastle, I really thought it wouldn't be as hard as this! :frown:
Original post by melissavollans
I'm in the same situation too. Everybody in my flat in halls has decided who they are living with next year, theres only me and another girl left and from what I can gather she doesn't particularly want to live with me.
I really don't want to end up living on my own but I can't see any other option at the minute!
Does any body know if theres any way of meeting others who are struggling to find people to live with?
I live in Newcastle, I really thought it wouldn't be as hard as this! :frown:

your uni should have a website for people to advertise spare rooms or at least a uni housing services advice centre

Quick Reply